Menu

Could you help me compare readers: CLE, Pathway, & Elson

KDBask

I am looking for a reading program for my older children for next year. I have used Pathway to teach them to read but had moved on to more chapter books. So if you have used one or more of these for grades 3-5 could you tell me what you liked and didn't? Thanks!

We are using the CLE 5th grade Reading. In my opinion its a very well put together reading program. It does not include reading chapter books. What it does have are short stories. My oldest doesn't care for the reading program because its not colorful and full of bells and whistles (she's 11 by the way).

I like it because it is very thorough and includes a lot of analytical thinking. Its not just comprehension questions or fill in the blanks. There are many different topics they study. It varies on the level they are reading. I know with 5th grade my daughter has learned what personification is , what similes are. They study poetry , vocabulary and so on.

In order to get the best out of the program you need both the Reader and the Light Units. The reader contains the story. The Light Units contain all of the questions and exercises. There are NO questions in the readers.

I wish I could get my daughter to like the program because its an excellent reading program. I just think she is being stubborn though :>)

The only thing I didn't like was that CLE doesnt' have a diagnostic test for their reading. Though the Readers are pretty much at grade level I feel that the work is a bit above the reading. My daughter reads at a 5th grade level and does fine but we spend quite a bit of time together to get the work done in the Light Units. I am thinking of dropping her back a level to 400 to see if she can work a little more independently.

Edited by TracyR

I have not used Pathways or Elson, but I have used CLE from 4th through 8th grade.

I agree with Tracy that the full benefit of the program is found in using the readers and the lightunits together.

My children have enjoyed using CLE's reading program, and they are all working "at grade level" in them. I think that CLE does ask inferential questions before children are cognatively ready for them which is why some children struggle with answering those questions. Most children aren't ready for those type of questions until about 5th or 6th grade.

Since the CLE reading course is only 5 lightunits in the upper grades we alternate between a light unit and a full length piece of literature. This has given us a complete literature program, and I am very pleased with it.

Jennie

I'll look at the BJU as well. I liked Pathway when we did it; it was a little "old fashioned" but good morals. I have been reading the Homeschool Reviews website and am not finding many people who have used them past second or third grade. I guess that costwise Pathway is excellent but I am trying to decide if the others are worth the extra expense. I need to take into consideration that it *hopefully* will be used by four children.

From those you mention, I've only used Elson so I can't compare. I like that Elson's readers include poems, fables, and stories that introduce students to Western literature and history (and a little Eastern) along with some nature study. Levels are divided into themes, such as stories about the United States, fairy tales, the world of nature, heroes of long ago, great American authors (looking through my son's current reader.)

From those you mention, I've only used Elson so I can't compare. I like that Elson's readers include poems, fables, and stories that introduce students to Western literature and history (and a little Eastern) along with some nature study. Levels are divided into themes, such as stories about the United States, fairy tales, the world of nature, heroes of long ago, great American authors (looking through my son's current reader.)

Urgh, sometimes I wish that we lived closer to the bigger cities. I doubt anyone at our conference will even have these to look at! Is there a workbook or activities that go with them? Would the stories be considered modern or similar to the amish country stories? Are there any morals taught in them?

Thanks!

We like the Elson readers too. I have the TM for 1-4 and they have comprehension questions and a few language arts type exercises. I wouldn't consider them modern or like the Pathway readers. You can view the TOC and several pages of both the readers and the TM at lostclassicsbooks.com .

Hope this helps:)

We like the Elson readers too. I have the TM for 1-4 and they have comprehension questions and a few language arts type exercises.
We love the Elson readers -- we've used the primer and book 2 this year w/o the TM. We use them for read aloud practice and fluency. I just love the stories and poems.

However, I'm considering getting the TM for next year, and I'm wondering if it would be adding too much to our language arts load, or if it is even necessary? My dds, who will be in approximately 1st and 2nd grade next year, will also be doing FLL 2 together and WWE 1 & 2, respectively. (As well as ETC and SWO)

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by amsunshine

However, I'm considering getting the TM for next year, and I'm wondering if it would be adding too much to our language arts load, or if it is even necessary? My dds, who will be in approximately 1st and 2nd grade next year, will also be doing FLL 2 together and WWE 1 & 2, respectively. (As well as ETC and SWO)

Thanks for any advice!

Yes, please, tell us more!:D

I simply use the Elson Readers for reading practice, I don't have any of the TMs. I have another set of readers I use for phonics review, spelling, copywork, dictation, vocab, and grammar. If I ever have the time to convert and post I'll make them available for free somewhere. Meanwhile, you could do this too with whatever reader you choose (if you like.) Here's a sample to give you an idea.

I simply use the Elson Readers for reading practice, I don't have any of the TMs. I have another set of readers I use for phonics review, spelling, copywork, dictation, vocab, and grammar. If I ever have the time to convert and post I'll make them available for free somewhere. Meanwhile, you could do this too with whatever reader you choose (if you like.) Here's a sample to give you an idea.

That looks great!

How did you get that? Do you scan everything separately? And how did you get it all white with no gray/yellowy background? Was your scanner expensive?

I've scanned in a few things from my older books and generally end up with fair to poor results, especially when I'm combining text and pictures.

Okay, I'm confused. Is your sample from the Elson Reader or your other set?