Menu

Science encyclopedias - Kingfisher, Usborne?

Mommy22alyns

What's your recommendation for a good general science encyclopedia for younger elementary students? Do you prefer Usborne, Kingfisher, or something else? I want something that gives clear explanations yet doesn't talk down - I'm thinking I may want to bypass the Usborne First Encyclopedia of Science?

We used the Usborne First encyclopedia's in 1st & 2nd and I thought they were perfect for that age, with lots of good information without going over a young child's head, IYKWIM. The explanations and illustrations/pictures were clear without being overly technical. We used the science, human body, our world, space, and oceans ones.

We are using the Kingfisher First Encyclopedia(animals and human body) for first and will use the Usborne ones(our world and space) for second. I like both for that age group, my dd agrees. I also own the Usborne Science Encyclopedia and will use it for 3rd and 4th grade. I think it's a bit much for first, but it's good and you could use that also. Is that clear as muddy water ;)?

We have the Kingfisher animal encyclopedia. I'll copy and paste what I wrote in another thread about Dorling Kindersley:

The photographs in the Dorling Kindersley animal encyclopedia are INCREDIBLE--huge, vivid, so detailed. Each animal entry has a fact box that includes the family, habitat, lifespan, and other information. Not all Kingfisher entries have a "fact box." Kindersley also includes a little "scale" drawing to help you visualize the average size of the animal in comparison to an average adult human. (A hyena, for example, is drawn to about half the height of an adult human.) But the entries still seem brief enough for one session of reading and narrating with a first-grader (haven't tried it yet). In addition to the alphabetized animal entries, about one-third of the book is devoted to background information on animal life.

• 4 years later...