Menu

keep talent search SAT scores on record?

Laura in CA

Hi, everyone -

I'm a lurker who has benefited a ton from reading these boards, but until now I haven't felt I had anything to add to the discussions, or any questions to ask. Now I do have a question -- my 12-year-old son took the SAT in January as part of the JHU CTY talent search, and I'm wondering if I should ask the College Board to keep his scores on his record. It clearly states on the score report that he was in grade "<8"; they're quite decent scores (well, the math score is quite high; the "verbal" score is mediocre, but he had a bad cold at the time, and we told him to just answer a few on those sections. It's a looonnng test!), esp. considering he was only 12 at the time. I have every reason to believe his 11th- or 12th-grade scores will be much higher, so the score report will show only improvement (esp. the verbal score).

We had him take this test to get an objective confirmation of his abilities, so conceivably I will be using the scores in the future to gain entrance to various programs (that's why I was thinking I'd leave them on his record) . . . I can't see any downside to keeping the scores. Does anyone have any experience or feelings about this issue they'd like to share? I'd appreciate any advice. This is new territory for me. Thanks so much!

~Laura

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the boards! I would ask this question on the High School board. I'm sure someone there has experience not only with a good SAT score in junior high, but how or if that affected their high school SAT score. They would also know whether or not its a good idea to have the score included on his record now.

Well, our experience has been that there was really no benefit in keeping the scores taken before high school. Yes, you can use them to get into programs but these programs seldom ask for a copy sent from the College Board but rather just a copy of the test results. Our ds took SAT and ACT starting at age 10 as "achievement" tests and we didn't see the need to keep the scores for college admissions even though they were really good scores. As you said, your dc will have great scores in high school and he can use those then. Perhaps you will hear from others who did just the opposite (!) but that's what we've done!

Mary