Menu

Opinions on Potters School vs. Apologia online courses?

I am planning on having my 7th ds take his General science class online to give him some outside structure and accountability. I expect I will do this often for him and my other dc in other subject areas as well. So, can anyone recommend either the Potters school science courses or the Apologia courses? Or are there others I should be considering?

Thank you for your help!

Kim

I can say that my son has taken biology and is currently taking chemistry through TPS. We have been very happy with the classes. I would highly recommend them.

He is taking both anatomy and physiology and physics with TPS next school year.

He is taking both anatomy and physiology and physics with TPS next school year.

Anatomy & Physiology is an extremely difficult class. The teacher writes her own tests, and they're much, much, much harder than the Apologia ones. My A student in Biology and Chemistry is struggling in the A&P class (although he likes the teacher and the class). I'm glad ds is doing the labs, which were optional, because they have really helped bring his overall grade up.

Apologia Academy is new for next year. But, the two Apologia Academy science teachers for next year are current TPS teachers. Dc#1 has had both teachers. Some of the TPS teachers for next year have been teaching Apologia for years. I think TPS and AA science classes will be virtually the same.

Anatomy & Physiology is an extremely difficult class. The teacher writes her own tests, and they're much, much, much harder than the Apologia ones. My A student in Biology and Chemistry is struggling in the A&P class (although he likes the teacher and the class). I'm glad ds is doing the labs, which were optional, because they have really helped bring his overall grade up.

Thank for the heads up and A & P. We spoke with the teacher last week and she warned us that the class is very advanced. We talked to her about my son being a science major (he's deciding between biological sciences or physics) and the fact that he'd be taking physics concurrently. She was very encouraging and said as long as he puts in the time, she thinks he'll do great.

I will definitely pass on the warning to him, though. Hopefully it will encourage him to be careful with his time management and study habits from the beginning!