Menu

8th grade Science Kid--What we did right!

Mostlyamom

In hopes that this might light the path for some of you, I wanted to share some thoughts about what we have done right in launching a science-oriented kid toward his goals.

1. Scholarsonline.org class with Dr. Christe McMenomy. My son started in 7th grade with the Natural Science I class. It has been a great experience, and challenged him to sort through a large quantity of online information to find what he needs--a very useful skill for the future, but also a wonderful way to add lots of arcane knowledge to his brain! {grin} There was a local course that many of his homeschooled peers were attending this year, but I don't think he could have had better preparation for high school than the Natural Science II class he has taken this year. This course is a lot of work, and I modified our other history assignments to allow time for this class. As a result of these classes, my child aced the science portion of the EXPLORE test. He got 25 out of 25 questions correct!

We live in a very competitive school district, but my son is probably ahead of where he would have been in the public school with the fantastic teachers at Scholarsonline.org.

http://www.scholarsonline.org/Info/coursedesc.php?id=304&title=Natural%20Science%20I

2. Subscription to Science News magazine.

3. Visiting Engineering Open House at college, and campus visitation day at another engineering school. Visits to science museums, national labs, etc.

4. Volunteer work at planetarium/science museum.

And no, I don't have any financial reason to write about any of these resources! I have been helped enormously by others who have shared their success stories, and wanted to help others. I also will recommend the book I heard about first on this board, "What High Schools Don't Tell You."

Hope this helps someone!

Pat