Menu

Real Science for Kids?

aready

I just got back from a conference and I have so many questions! :)

Anyone done Real Science for Kids? They seemed to be very light at first look, but then after really going through the texts, they did cover a lot of more in-depth subjects, but it was the way that was presented that seemed lighter. Which might be good for dd since it isn't intimidating at all to look at. Anyone have experience with this? Did you have to supplement with this Science? Any others look better?

It may seem simple, but I think it's just so well written that the concepts are very clear.

Since it's very 'lab' based, it never gets boring.

I did chem 1 last year. I plan to do physics in the fall. It was always the highlight of the day.

I did pre-chem last fall with my 8 and 6 year old boys and it was great fun. It was a little much for my 6 year old but my 8 year old loves science and it was perfect. I have a background in chemistry and I've read that it is one of the more 'hardcore science' curriculums. If you want to do real science and not just have fun playing with science it's an excellent choice.

Brownie

Real-Science-4-Kids:

We've used it this year (Kinder)... We're using Chemistry Pre-Level 1 and my Daughter loves it.. It seems simple but is actually packed with Information.. Plus the Lab Work does drive the concepts Home... My daughter has understood concepts such as Atom, Reactions, Molecules, Bases & Acids that I would have thought were too advance for her age, but given the presentation (simple and kid-friendly but true to the concept & the science) she actually enjoys it and is learning...

There are some sections that are her favorite, and she asks me to re-read them every time (there's either a pun, or a joke, or something she finds funny/silly in them) and I'm happy to oblige..

We plan to use Biology Pre-Level 1 for 1st Grade.

If you go to: http://gravitaspublications.com/products/ and click on the level you're interested in, you can download a sample chapter for review....

Hope this helps...

Kate

Sorry I just thought of this - You didn't mentioned the age of your Child - but this resource (Bubbles, rainbows, and worms By Sam Ed Brown) is great for Smaller Kids, also This one (Science is Simple: Over 250 Activities for Preschoolers by Peggy Ashbrook) those have great experiments aged appropriate for smaller kids...

Kate

I met Dr. Keller at a conference last year (went to several of her lectures.) We purchased all of the Level 1 stuff and the Chem II. My dd, who knows a LOT about chem, loved the Level II. So far, we've done the Level I Chem. We loved the experiments. Very simple, but fun. We added one KOGS for Chem (HIstory) which has dd studying the history of science that correlates to each chapter in the Chem book, and sometimes requires her to search for dates, etc, from other sources.

This is the first time my 10 yo hasn't hated science. More than that it is good science, and I LOVE the fact that she has no interpretation to her Biology (no evolution/creationism/ID).

It's not designed to last all year, and perhaps you heard her discuss why if someone asked her. We haven't tried the easiest level, but I don't know that I would. It's easy to supplement from the library or any science books you already have if you'd like to extend the chapters, but not requisite.

We'll have to see about the Physics experiments. We have 2 Science in a Nutshell Physics kits we bought our first year of homeschooling I'm planning to bring out for that. We'll be starting the Biology within the next few weeks; we'll start the Physics in the fall.

We haven't tried the easiest level, but I don't know that I would.

I just did RS4K level 1 with my 10yos and am on the 2nd time through RS4K pre-level 1 with my 8yo (we do those in coop classes, so that's why two different levels). I love the pre-level book. I think my older two were disappointed to not find the atoms holding hands anymore in the level 1 book. :tongue_smilie: The way she presents the concepts in that book, it's easy for even very young children to identify different chemicals in a compound and how they are bonded - I've never seen it presented like that anywhere else.

I haven't been as impressed with the Physics, and especially Biology books, though.

I just did RS4K level 1 with my 10yos and am on the 2nd time through RS4K pre-level 1 with my 8yo (we do those in coop classes, so that's why two different levels). I love the pre-level book. I think my older two were disappointed to not find the atoms holding hands anymore in the level 1 book. :tongue_smilie: The way she presents the concepts in that book, it's easy for even very young children to identify different chemicals in a compound and how they are bonded - I've never seen it presented like that anywhere else.

I haven't been as impressed with the Physics, and especially Biology books, though.

Her major was in Chem, & her Ph.D. in molecular biology, so I would guess that Chem would be the best. So far we've only done the Chem, as I said. However, we have other things to supplement with if we don't find the others complete.

My husband is a chemistry teacher and he picked out RS4K when I was teaching chemistry to my then 3rd and 1st graders. We bought the Level I plus the pre-level text. I liked the text and illustrations. I didn't care for the labs so much. The labs had more focus on the scientific method than I personally thinki is necessary at that level. But that is my opinion only. I frankly have a problem with most science labs. They very often don't work. My husband says that they usually don't use enough of an ingredient, probably for safety issues.

We've done the Pre-Bio and the Pre-chem. They aren't bad and I agree that the Chem is a bit better though we ran into some problems with the acid/base pre-chem experiments. It all might have worked better for us at the age 5-6 in an easy-going kindergarten way and had I checked far enough in advance to know that I needed frogs and butterflies and could plan for purchasing those when the weather was right, kwim? I'm going to work on this lifesci program for a while instead: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/download%20life%20science%20student%20by%20unit.htm

I'm going to work on this lifesci program for a while instead: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/download%20life%20science%20student%20by%20unit.htm

Wow! That looks way, way better than the RS4K bio! (Much more like what I would've expected from their bio after the wonderful chem, actually). Where did you find it, I've never seen it! Can you buy the book, or do you have to print out all the pages yourself?

I think I might have my 8yo do this!

Just curious Karin, what was Dr. Keller's response?

I love RS4K thanks to a friend of mine, but will opt to use it in a year's time.

I don't remember exactly how she said it, but, in essence, it was because young kids lose interest in doing just one branch of science, etc. She said it well, whereas I'm not. My eldest was able to do once science all year, but not my second. My ds is happy just to study airplanes, but could probably do a whole year in Physics. Not in the other sciences, though, I don't think. He's just broadening his science horizons now.

I don't remember exactly how she said it, but, in essence, it was because young kids lose interest in doing just one branch of science, etc. She said it well, whereas I'm not. My eldest was able to do once science all year, but not my second. My ds is happy just to study airplanes, but could probably do a whole year in Physics. Not in the other sciences, though, I don't think. He's just broadening his science horizons now.

Thank you, Karin!

When we were at their booth, they said to do Bio first, Chem 2nd and Physics 3rd. Is this what she said also said? Just wondering...

Also- on the website. How long have you used that Bio curriculum? It does look interesting!

We're on Unit 5 of RS4K Pre Chem with my 8 & 6 yo. My 6yo isn't as interested in it, but my 8yo and I really like it. It is the first chemistry *I've* been able to understand! I wonder what it was about the acid/base labs other people had trouble with? We're on that one now, and I've noticed that the antacid tablet in water mixed with red cabbage juice is not getting the right result (it's supposed to turn green and ours stays purple). So I've been substituting an extra cup of baking soda water, which works (but of course, limits our variety of things being tested). But I think we're getting the main idea, so no complaints (other than the spilt purple juice all over our books!! LOL)

Can you buy the book, or do you have to print out all the pages yourself?

I'm using this this year with my older, we print out the lessons as we need them. He also has one for earth science, I am seriously considering using it for both my boys next year, and supplementing for my older. The drawback with that is the cost, and then you still have to print it out yourself.

My kids have really enjoyed the Noeo Science series....we are doing level 2, so others may have to weigh in about lower levels. We like that it uses "real" books, and is taught in a way that encourages the child to discover information for themselves. We love the experiments and have really enjoyed ourselves and learned a ton!

Jen

When we were at their booth, they said to do Bio first, Chem 2nd and Physics 3rd. Is this what she said also said? Just wondering...

Also- on the website. How long have you used that Bio curriculum? It does look interesting!

I didn't discuss the order of Level 1 with her. We simply chose to do Chem first based on our discussion of high school. One of the lectures she did was on preparing your dc for high school science (I liked it so much, I went to two other lectures of hers and was sorry I missed the first one, which is probably where she discussed the order of level 1 more.)

She did suggest Chem/Phys/Bio for high school. Some argue for Physics/Chem/Bio. In fact, I met a former vocational high school teacher (okay, I've met him before, but just found out about his former job yesterday evening while our dds danced) who argues for that last one. In fact, when he was teaching future electricians, that's exactly how the order was changed based on study for the trades.

Just an aside, he quite due to philosophical differences--when they brought in mandatory state testing in the schools they had to change how they run vocational schools, and they're not nearly as good now because they don't get to focus enough on the sciences and math that apply to their fields, nor do they get enough time in the shops actually applying those.

He also had a great insight on teaching trig to these non-academic kids whose brains would have frozen at the word trigonometry--he called it electricians' math. Not only did they learn it, but because they actually applied it hands on they really got it. Makes you think.

Now, back to RS4K...

We've done the Pre-Bio and the Pre-chem. They aren't bad and I agree that the Chem is a bit better though we ran into some problems with the acid/base pre-chem experiments. It all might have worked better for us at the age 5-6 in an easy-going kindergarten way and had I checked far enough in advance to know that I needed frogs and butterflies and could plan for purchasing those when the weather was right, kwim? I'm going to work on this lifesci program for a while instead: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/download%20life%20science%20student%20by%20unit.htm

That has got to be one of the best science texts I have ever seen! I just read the first chapter of Life Science to my ds (almost 8) and he loved it!

OK, So I'm really liking what I see with the RS4K but I'm wondering about grade levels. Those of you who are using this curriculum, what grade/age would you call the Pre-Level, Level 1 and Level 2. It seems like the level 1 biology covers the same thing as the pre-level, just a little more in-depth and technical so with a 7yo/2nd grader, would you just jump right into the level 1 or still start with the pre-level?

Thanks!

For a 7yo/2nd gr I would definitely start with pre-Chem. Pre-chem is grades K-3rd. Chem I is 4th-6th grade (I think...) Chem II might be high school, but I didn't pay much attn when I looked on their site. Pre-Chem is really simple, but I think it lays an excellent foundation for understanding tougher stuff later.

For a 7yo/2nd gr I would definitely start with pre-Chem. Pre-chem is grades K-3rd. Chem I is 4th-6th grade (I think...) Chem II might be high school, but I didn't pay much attn when I looked on their site. Pre-Chem is really simple, but I think it lays an excellent foundation for understanding tougher stuff later.

Yes, I is gr 4-6. II is jr high, or gr 7-9. Of course, where we live, there is not such thing as jr high, but there's middle school which puts this in between.

She did say that Chem II isn't enough for a full high school Chem credit when I chatted with her.

For the poster who said that the next biology book looks the same but goes into more depth, I would guess that to be correct based on the Chem I & II books. The Chem II book goes into a great deal more depth than the Chem I, IMO. It's quite a bit longer than I.

For the person who had trouble with acid/base--we found it very easy, and I even made my own acid/base indicators the way she described. Of course, we did it with friends so the social element helped. I saved the extra ones for when ds does this again.

I am thinking about using all three Level I book with my 6th grader next year. For those who have experience with RS4K, do you think that is good for 6th grade or should we go with something else?

And thanks to the person who posted that website with the free life science book, I think I am going to do that with my 3rd grader next year.

I am thinking about using all three Level I book with my 6th grader next year. For those who have experience with RS4K, do you think that is good for 6th grade or should we go with something else?

And thanks to the person who posted that website with the free life science book, I think I am going to do that with my 3rd grader next year.

It depends on how much science background your dc has. However, my gr 6 dd this year has liked it and it's been perfect for her. She's my history buff and has not been keen to do science before. But my eldest would have found this too easy at that grade; she's my science buff; it would have been good for her around 2nd or 3rd grade because of all the reading she'd already done on her own on science.

My son will be in 6th grade next year and our plan is to use all 3 level 1 books for Science. We are looking forward to it!