Menu

Best Latin for adults?

I'm just finishing reading Climbing Parnassus which I have really enjoyed. My desire to learn Latin and Greek have been rekindled both for my own learning and as a precursor to teaching my children in a few years. What program, textbooks, or other resources would you recommend for someone who wants to learn Latin?

LibrarianMom

(I could put my reference skills to use and find an answer, but I want first hand reports and feedback.)

Another vote for Henle as your text and Dowling for your mastery. It's done wonders, for me. I have Wheelock's, and would not recommend it for a beginning adult. The translation work it offers relies heavily on words you haven't hit, rather than introducing them in vocabulary or grammar prior to the exercizes. So you never get a good flow going in your translation and reading (b/c you spend all your time looking up the brand-spanking-new-words). That felt quite defeating.

I switched to Henle, geared up with the Dowling Method (which is so simple, and yet works so well) - and the two are working much better for me. I plan to add aditional reading for translation as soon as I'm not pregnant or repairing storm windows in all my spare time. :-D

Hi everyone,

I am currently using Lingua Latina for my own self-study of Latin. I have known about the Dowling Method for a long time, but have never used it.

Do you all really write the paradigms out 200 times - in several notebooks?

Can you share how each of you have used this method? Using the reading approach, I have slacked off a bit on my endings. :rolleyes:

I am currently using Lingua Latina for my own self-study of Latin. I have known about the Dowling Method for a long time, but have never used it. Do you all really write the paradigms out 200 times - in several notebooks?

I wrote most of them 200 times - all the nouns and the verbs. I didn't do as many reps of the pronouns or adjectives. I think it took me about 6 months to finish, but it was well worth it!