Menu

Would LL (Am. Lit. Early) and HO (Early Modern level2) be a good fit for 9th grade?

HO above stands for History Odyssey.

I am thinking of doing these together but wonder if there will be too much overlap. I know I am going with LL but I'm looking at a History.

I have Human Odyssey and wonder if I should just use it for history and study those years in the book. Advice?

Edited by Frontier Mom

bumping

I am concerned this might be overkill. I was going to start with Ancients but decided to go with LL and they don't have Ancients yet. I definitely want to use their American Lit and have already ordered it. Now I am wanting a history to line up with this for the year.

Like I said, I have Human Odyssey and wonder if that and a few literature books would be sufficient for history.

I don't think this would be overkill at all. The book list for History Odyssey level two looks like pretty easy reading. It is geared for Middle School, right?

I would probably skip most of those and have my child use both LL Early American And Early British Lit. That would give you 8 full length works, as well as some poetry and other short pieces. I had my daughter use both in 9th grade and I thought it was great for that level!

And using the appropriate chapters of Human Odyssey (that is Spielvogel's High School text, right?) sounds good. I have heard good things about that book, though we did not use it (we used another World History text and the first half of Paul Johnson's History of the American People).

Hmmm...why use History Odyssey at all? Or is this a particularly advanced program?

Thanks. Why use it is exactly what I was feeling. I am infamous for buying more curriculum than we could possibly do in three years, let alone one. Thanks and I like your idea of doing Early American and then British instead of all American and then all British Lit. I think I will definitely do this and use Human Odyssey. I have some great books so I think I'll pick out a few to go along with our history readings and lit studies.