Menu

LoF Beginning Algebra

Hello!

DD will be in 9th in the fall and we are strongly leaning towards Lof Beg. Algebra. She isn't a mathy student and needs review of previous concepts on a regular basis in order to better retain them. She is a reader and really wants to use LoF.

What can I use to supplement for daily review of various concepts...like CLE math does? (CLE math works for my dd11.) What if she needs more problems to cement in the LoF lessons? LoF doesn't review previous concepts in every lesson, right? Just every so many chapters, is that correct? I need to look at the website again.

I was considering combining Jacob's Algebra with LoF Algebra but don't know if it would be overkill. She isn't a fast worker in math so I don't want her to get behind, as she tends to. We need the right balance....enough review and repitition but not overkill. Plus, my main draw back with Jacob's is that there is no solutions manual....which I NEED!!! But I like that Jacob's works in daily review.

BTW, she is doing BCM right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Natalija

I have one son who just finished LOF Beginning Algebra and one son who is working through Jacob's algebra. I guess you could combine them, but my opinion, from using both, is that it would be overkill. Jacob's is very thorough with lots of problems. LOF BA has worked well with my very math adept student. Jacob's is great for my slower math student esp. with the built in review.

I think using ALEKS is a great idea that wouldn't be overwhelming and it would provide extra practice if you should find that she needs more than LOF offers. You might also use Keys to Algebra along side LOF. But using 2 complete programs (i.e., LOF and Jacob's) could be very difficult to get through in the usual school year unless your student loves math.

Do you think Lof BA will work for a non-mathy student as well?

Does it review previous concepts at some point?

I do like the built-in review Jacobs works in. But it doesn't have a solutions manual, does it? I would need that!!

Thanks for the advice on not using two complete programs. I was worried about the stress of trying to incorporate both.

I think ALEKS would work well or maybe Key To Algebra.

How long does the average LoF BA lesson take? How would you recommend working in the ALEKS? A couple days a week? I guess it depends how many lessons there are in LoF and how long they take to do.

Thanks!

Natalija

Well, I hesitate to say that LOF would only work for math adept kids, but in my case, that's how it would have played out. LOF would not have worked for my son (who is using Jacobs) simply because it doesn't have enough problems or enough repetition. But understand that this son may have some learning issues, too, although I don't think they are huge - he is doing fine with Jacobs in 8th grade. His public schooled and most of his home schooled counterparts are not doing algebra until 9th.

If you daughter wants to do it, I'd let her. You'll know soon enough if she isn't doing well with it. Using Aleks or Keys to... will give you an idea if she isn't getting it or needs more practice.

My personal opinion, and I certainly am no expert, is that LOF BA is great for a young student (in my case a silly boy) who is ready for algebra but might be overwhelmed by a more mature text.

Guest Katia

Well I have a dd that is not math adept at.all. Period. She has never understood any upper math program and when she took her ACT she felt like a total math loser.

We found Life of Fred last year, and in the summer after she graduated but before she headed off to college (knowing she had to take that dreaded college math class) she worked through LOF Beginning Algebra, a lot of the LOF Geometry and just started on the LOF Advanced Albegra text.

Let me tell you, she was one very excited gal! For the first time, ever, ever, ever, math made sense to her. She actually understood it.

Fast forward to her freshman year of college and the Dreaded Math class: She understood all of it.....got an easy A.....and later found out many, many of the dc in the class got a C and felt lucky to have received that. Wow!

So, she has no more required math classes to take....but when she comes home this summer, she is planning to go right back to Fred and learn more math.....just because he helps her to understand it and to see a use for it.

In my experience, Fred is more than good for a non-math adept student.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Cynthia. We will definitely try it and probably get ALEKS too.

Katia, Thank you for sharing your very encouraging experience!!! Wow! That is fabulous!! I am going to get it for her and hope she has the same great experience! Sounds like your DD didn't forget past concepts even without the daily review. Did you think she needed review from a supplemental source at all?

I hope that happens with us also. Maybe set in the more meaningful context of the story,it will stick better. And it makes sense that working the math into the story shows reali-life uses and examples that will help the child better understand and relate to the concept.

Thank you all! LoF, here we come! (I think I will have to wait to order it or else hide it somewhere so DD won't read the whole book ahead of time, as she tends to do!)

Warm wishes,

Natalija

Guest Katia

As far as review; Fred does review concepts in several lessons called Review and Testing. So....like after 7-8 lessons he will have 3 Review and Testing lessons. That seemed to be enough, along with the fact that in algebra you constantly have to use what you've learned to continue to move forward, so technically that is review, kwim?

I hope Fred works as well for you as it has for us. My younger dd has just finished up Fred's Advanced Algebra and is starting his Trig. So far....so good!