Menu

First Form Latin

Larissa

I just got my Memoria Press catalogue and I see that First Form Latin will be out in August. I am teaching a LCI class and I assumed I'd be going on to LCII and then First Form Latin. I was surprised that First Form Latin says to use it after LCI.

I'm unsure about what to do. Does anyone know what follows First Form Latin--will we still go on to Henle?

Does anyone have any more details?

Larissa

homeschooling 5 in NJ

First Form Latin is out in beta now. You can do it after LCI or LCII. It does start at the beginning again, but the grammar goes much faster (ie. present Lesson 1, imperfect Lesson 2, future Lesson 3).

Henle still follows.

My impression is that the idea is LCI and II are for children in the grammar stage, who can memorize tons but analyze little.

First Form is for middle schoolers who still primarily memorize but are starting to analyze.

Henle expects analysis immediately and has the student composing his own sentences right away.

I just got my Memoria Press catalogue and I see that First Form Latin will be out in August. I am teaching a LCI class and I assumed I'd be going on to LCII and then First Form Latin. I was surprised that First Form Latin says to use it after LCI.

I'm unsure about what to do. Does anyone know what follows First Form Latin--will we still go on to Henle?

Does anyone have any more details?

Larissa

homeschooling 5 in NJ

Larissa,

I am beta testing First Form right now. First, Second, Third, and Fourth Form will replace Henle First Year.The First Form series covers the complete Latin grammar. After completing the First Form series, students will move into Henle Second Year (Caesar's Gallic Wars.)

MP is recommending First Form for any student in at least 4th grade who has completed LC1. I am moving my dd10 from LC2 to First Form because First Form is a much better book. Much more thorough explanations, better drills, etc.

HTH.

Would First Form also have DVD's eventually? I have LC II that I was planning on using next, but is First Form better?

I love the DVD lessons. Is First Form written to the student in such a way that they wouldn't need a teacher/DVD?

What is the cost?

First Form includes explanations in the student text, but there is additional material in the TM. But, yes, the DVDs will be available this summer.

I've got a 5th grader who is wrapping up Unit 2 of Henle. I *know* that continuing on in Henle next year will be difficult for him. If he switched to First Form, would we start over, at the beginning? Anyone have an idea?

Well, you've got a couple of options. First Form does repeat what he already learned, but it also has new material on verbs. You could go through the new material and then quickly review the chapters on nouns.

Or, and this is what MP is saying, go directly into Second Form--out in beta this Fall. Second Form will start off with a review of First Form, where he could pick up the info on verbs.

It really just depends on his needs I guess. But you could easily get through the new chapters in First Form between now and the Fall and start Second Form then.

HTH.

We are in the middle of LCII over here. I am going to put my daughter in the beta test of Second Form per their suggestion--the Second Form will have 'bridge lessons' so the student can learn any material that is covered in First Form but not in LC II. Then I am having my younger student (4th grade next year) start in First Form (I am not sure if he will finish LCII but my daughter will). I think this will work well for us, and I think my daughter (6th grade next year) will enjoy being a beta tester! The folks at MP are very helpful at suggesting the right choice if you ask on their website forum.