Menu

computer science course/web design, etc?

It wasn't sufficient for even a half credit, though. He's going to have to have to do some more work on his own to finish up. I don't know of any other classes outside of community college. My son is interested in computers and will probably go this route to learn some programming basics.

My son is currently taking Web Design I with Mr Connor through the Potter's School

http://www.pottersschool.org/

Registration is *tomorrow* for returning families, and a few days later for new families (for next year's classes). My son has learned a LOT, and Mr Connor is very dedicated and often available for tutoring (when my son was confused, that was extremely helpful). It is a *two*-year course; this first year he learned HTML, JavaScript (just basics), and Python; next year I think they do more JavaScript, MySQL, AJAX, etc.

Anyway, HIGHLY recommended. It moves at a fast pace, though. They also have classes on Visual Basic, C++, Java, CAD, MS Office stuff, etc.

~Laura

I also wanted to mention that the Potters school has been offering open houses where the courses are discussed. (However you might have to be a registered student to access this forum, not sure) Many of the discussions are taped. We attended the one for the teacher of the Java and Linux through Potters school. It was excellent because he discussed the textbooks and then recommended textbooks that you might look at over the summer if you needed to get additional background (Mr. Yonts) It sounded great, however his courses are only available in the afternoon since he goes on line after his work hours. I thought the Open houses are very worthwhile if you have the opportunity. This one lasted an hour. He had a power point and discussed three classes, but for some reason only two ended up on the schedule.