Menu

Next time someone aske how you know whether they are gifted or jsut accelerated...

Oh, good!!

Okay, so you know the joke about homeschoolers taking standardized tests? That they might not know how to bubble in the circles? Well, Dd9 took the EXPLORE test on Saturday and neatly circled each letter, just outside the bubble. I only know because dd11 was there, too, and saw her answer sheet as she was handing it in. So I pulled the whole story out of her on the way home. The directions were apparently very clear, but she did it her own way instead. So now we await a 0 percentile on a test we paid good money for, which will now be of no use in planning next year's studies. :(

Oh, good!!

Okay, so you know the joke about homeschoolers taking standardized tests? That they might not know how to bubble in the circles? Well, Dd9 took the EXPLORE test on Saturday and neatly circled each letter, just outside the bubble. I only know because dd11 was there, too, and saw her answer sheet as she was handing it in. So I pulled the whole story out of her on the way home. The directions were apparently very clear, but she did it her own way instead. So now we await a 0 percentile on a test we paid good money for, which will now be of no use in planning next year's studies. :(

Oh dear -- that's the sort of thing DS would have done!! (So I'm laughing WITH you... not AT you.... LOL) We've gone over and over the bubble-coloring aspect of testing for exactly that reason... and last year he did fine, so I'm hopeful. ;) He took the Explore Saturday too and the only "what planet is this kid from" moment was when he came out of the room putting on his sweatshirt (the kind with a half-zipper at the neck)... backwards. And left it like that. "Sweetie you know your shirt's on backwards?" "Huh?" "Yeah, that's why the collar covers up to your nose." :rolleyes:

Oh yes, definitely something I can see my son do....

Instructions? Those are not for 'moi' ! (takes after my own father!)

But I'm guessing your father did listen to flight control, right? It's your dad who flew either 757s or 767s, right? My brain is still in jet lag and we're all under the weather here, so I want to be sure. Perhaps he would have made a great bush pilot;)

But I'm guessing your father did listen to flight control, right? It's your dad who flew either 757s or 767s, right?

Yeah, he flew 767s at the end of his career. And no, he didn't listen to flight control. What most passengers do not know is that flight control does not have the final say on anything. If the pilot decides to land on a certain strip, it's up to flight control to make sure it's available, even if it doesn't suit them.

Many times, my dad didn't take the flight control recommendations... :rolleyes:

(ok, there are strict guidelines about who decides what, and how to deal with changes, he always did follow those guidelines. But not whatever traffic control would tell him to do.)

Yeah, he flew 767s at the end of his career. And no, he didn't listen to flight control. What most passengers do not know is that flight control does not have the final say on anything. If the pilot decides to land on a certain strip, it's up to flight control to make sure it's available, even if it doesn't suit them.

Many times, my dad didn't take the flight control recommendations... :rolleyes:

(ok, there are strict guidelines about who decides what, and how to deal with changes, he always did follow those guidelines. But not whatever traffic control would tell him to do.)

Wow, I didn't know that. Sounds like your dad and mine are cut from the same cloth. Only mine is a surgeon who started his career when, as he puts it, "your conscience was your guide."

Oh, good!!

When our ds took the SAT in 8th for JHU CTY, he got up and went to the bathroom during the math test!!! Yikes....I could have killed him. But he still qualified!

:rolleyes: