Menu

What if you swallowed a tooth?

Probably a stupid question but... how bad is it if a kid swallowed his tooth? Ds had a loose baby molar that came out while he was eating supper tonight. He didn't notice swallowing it, but we couldn't find it anywhere and the likelihood is that it went down with his chinese chicken.

How bad is that? Honestly, it kind of creeps me out, but I'm playing it cool. Dh says it's no biggie. He'll just poop it out eventually. Will he? Will it hurt? Do I need to get him to a doctor?

Please don't laugh at me for asking, okay? :blush:

Probably a stupid question but... how bad is it if a kid swallowed his tooth? Ds had a loose baby molar that came out while he was eating supper tonight. He didn't notice swallowing it, but we couldn't find it anywhere and the likelihood is that it went down with his chinese chicken.

How bad is that? Honestly, it kind of creeps me out, but I'm playing it cool. Dh says it's no biggie. He'll just poop it out eventually. Will he? Will it hurt? Do I need to get him to a doctor?

Please don't laugh at me for asking, okay? :blush:

Not laughing. (Ok, just slightly lol, but not at you, really!). A tooth in the gut is fine, no problem. Neither you, nor your child, will ever know when it passes, unless you look for it (lest you wonder, sometimes when kids swallow something large, docs will advise parents to get gloves and search for the said item until it is located...). Teeth are NOT usually such an issue.

Congratulations to the one who lost the tooth. To the parents...well, have a glass of wine and relax? (Hoping this is seen as benevolent advice).

Ria

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Don't worry, it'll all come out ok in the end. :D

:iagree:

My MIL, an ER doc, was visiting recently. While she was here, we found a small screw was missing from somewhere (can't remember that part now). I was so worried DS2 had eaten it but MIL was oh so calm and said they wouldn't even do anything about that, just watch and see. :001_huh:

At any rate, if a screw wasn't cause for worry, I can't imagine that a tooth would be.

ETA: The thumbs down was a total accident. I have NO IDEA how that happened!!:confused:

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I swallowed my first tooth with a bowl of rice when I was six. My mom didn't worry. I was just kinda sad that I didn't have anything to put under the pillow for the tooth fairy. Maybe you could have him make a drawing or something if he is at all concerned. Don't worry I never saw my tooth again.:tongue_smilie:

Not laughing. (Ok, just slightly lol, but not at you, really!). (lest you wonder, sometimes when kids swallow something large, docs will advise parents to get gloves and search for the said item until it is located...).

Ria

Just for future reference, like if you swallow a diamond or something, it's less disgusting to put the product in cheesecloth, tie it up, and hose it down outdoors until nothing is left but the item you are searching for. Still not pleasant, but better than digging through it!

Both of my girls swallowed teeth and our doctor said not to worry about it - they were so small that the girls wouldn't even feel them pass.

My son swallowed a quarter before Christmas last year (he found it under the washing machine). It was big enough the doctor was concerned and sent us for xrays every week to make sure it was moving along. After 4 weeks my husband (always the wise guy) suggested we swipe an ATM card along his bum to get the money out. :001_rolleyes: It eventually passed, but we never saw it.

Just for future reference, like if you swallow a diamond or something, it's less disgusting to put the product in cheesecloth, tie it up, and hose it down outdoors until nothing is left but the item you are searching for. Still not pleasant, but better than digging through it!

Guess we shouldn't ask how you know about offering this advice???

:D

LOL.

P.S. Audrey -- I would think it would be fine & wouldn't have given it a second thought myself....

And, ETA, dd went to the dentist about a year ago to get some baby teeth pulled (many were loose, but were never coming out). They ended up removing 9 (!!!), one of which she swallowed by accident. It was no big deal & the dentist said that sometimes happens. Dd had no problems. We definitely did not look for the tooth, lol.

Edited by Stacia

My son swallowed a guitar pick when he was about 15. A guitar pick! He was flipping it around and around in his mouth and all of a sudden had to cough. Down it went. They couldn't see it on the exrays because it was plastic. He never felt it or saw it come out.....ewwwww.:confused: But it never hurt him or anything.

ps. That was ONE of the 16 visits to the ER we had during his first 16 years. We are now up to about 25 so he has surpassed his age in ER visits.

Just wait for it to come out the other end lol. Should be no big deal.

That's what I am thinking.

I babysat for a woman whose kid swallowed a coin.

She stirred that poop around in the toilet till she got it!

I say retrieve the tooth!!!!!

Can you just hear it now.....kid says, "Oh yes, and this is the tooth I swallowed...."

Yup, it'll be fine. My son has only lost two teeth, and he's swallowed them both - three days apart. The doctor laughed when we told her at an appointment last month, and said they'd be a good source of calcium *wink wink*

He also swallowed two pennies once, on a Friday, when he was about 17 months old. When I called the doctor about that one, she just said if we didn't get his "two cents' worth" by Monday to call back. They passed fine, too, though I must admit I didn't remove them from their, um, coating, once I knew they were in there. Thank heaven for diapers, I suppose.

He had a patient swallow her gold crown. She had paid for the whole thing out of pocket and couldn't afford a new one. She wait for it to 'show up'. She washed it off herself, then brought it into the practice and they had it fully sterlized for her.

As for finding 'lost' objects, put the poop in a large freezer style ziplock bag. Then you can just squeeze it in the bag and 'feel' for the object, you don't have to actually mush your fingers through it. If the kids are little enough that they can sit on a kiddie pottie, so much easier. Then you can dump it right into the bag, no fishing it out of the toilet. But one scoop out of the toilet into a bag is way better then squishing all of it between your figers in the bowl.

He didn't notice swallowing it, but we couldn't find it anywhere and the likelihood is that it went down with his chinese chicken.

:lol: I am only laughing because my ds,6, lost his very 1st tooth a few weeks ago eating chicken as well! He called for me to see what was stuck between his teeth, when I saw that there was a little gap. I started looking *everywhere* around where he was eating, even looking in his dinner. We never found it, and he is still alive and well. ;) I was kind of sad, though, because I really wanted to save his 1st tooth.