Menu

All American History ?

HollyDay

I just heard about this book today. But, I cant seem to find any samples or overly helpful reviews. I did do a search here just a minute ago but I guess it was too broad based.

Can anyone tell me more about it? How does it compare to the others (MOH, SOTW)? I would be looking to add this to my 5th grader's history.

thanks!!

I just heard about this book today. But, I cant seem to find any samples or overly helpful reviews. I did do a search here just a minute ago but I guess it was too broad based.

Can anyone tell me more about it? How does it compare to the others (MOH, SOTW)? I would be looking to add this to my 5th grader's history.

thanks!!

:001_smile:

Here's a link with sample pages:

Volume 1

http://www.brightideaspress.com/aah_info.htm

Volume 2

http://www.brightideaspress.com/aah2.htm

Here are more samples on ChristianBook.com

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntk=keywords&Ntt=all+American+History+Celeste+W.+Rakes&action=Search&N=0&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1&Go.x=14&Go.y=9&Go=Go

Make sure you look at sample of the Teacher's Guide - that's where the projects and literature lists are printed.

Although I have the program we have not used it. Not that there's anything wrong with it - I purchased it thinking we would be bringing our dss back home for this school yr. and we opted not to. However, they will be coming home this year for sure.:)

I did ask my ds (5th grade last yr) if would would compare the Student Book to A History of US. He felt that they were similar and didn't really prefer one over the other. But, he did not look at the activity pages that went w/ the program.

Following is a response I received last yr. when I was asking about the program.

HTH

Peggy

03-07-2008, 01:38 AM

HiddenJewel user_offline.gif

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

QUOTE]

Here was our experience with All American History:

My dd11 used All American History I independently this past year and she loved it. She kept asking if she could keep reading and not stop at the end of the lesson. We supplemented with books from the library that pertain to the time period we were studying. There are long lists of suggested books for each of the units separated by age group in the TE.

The TE and Activity book are very important to making it different from a textbook approach. The activity book has a notebooking-type page where the student relays information from the chapter. There is a little mapping that goes with the lesson. Then there is a multiple-choice review for each lesson.

The TE has information for all the For Further Study ideas. It also has a large list of living book suggestions as well as ideas on how to adjust the material for younger or older students. There are also family activity ideas to cement the teaching.

I would feel comfortable using it with 5th grade and into high school as it easily expandable for the older student. My 4th grader was not getting much out of it so we dropped it for her. My plan was to do at least one of the For Further Study activities each lesson but found that there was plenty of material for a 6th grader without it. For a high schooler I would just add all the For Further Study activities and then have them do additional research using the extra forms in the back of the activity book. There are forms for researching individual battles (vs just learning about the wars), individual Presidents, individual colonies, European explorers, and Native American tribes.

So you can make as much out of this curriculum as you want. I feel it is a great combination of a textbook, notebooking, and literature-based curriculum.

We have it, intending to start using it in the next few months for our U.S. History studies.

So far, I have read several lessons, the TM and the student workbook, and am very impressed with it. I am looking forward to using it with my child. I picked it over Joy Hakims Story of the U.S. due to the TM and workbook that comes with it, versus having to buy one for each book with Hakim's books.

You really wouldn't have to use anything else if you have this program. I might add in some historical movies for fun, as will definately add in historical fiction and non-fiction (the TM comes with a book list otherwise I will use Sonlight as a general guide)

I have nothing to add really, other than I like the looks of it myself, and it's my fall-back plan if finances don't support getting SL for next year. The main reasons it's the fall-back instead of the main option are because I'm burnt out on planning and SL will just hand me the book and tell me which pages to read, whereas All-American gives me a list and I have to go find the book and schedule the reading; and ds dislikes workbooks and cut/paste activities.

I have it to use next year and I'm really looking forward to it. I think it will provide just enough structure and just enough flexibility to suit me! I love student activity pages and the teacher's manual. The book list in the teacher's manual is fantastic!

One thing that I really like is the "For Further Study" questions. It will give my child some experience on personal research without being too overwhelming. I also love that the teacher's manual has the answers to "For Further Study" questions.:001_smile: