Menu

Poll: How do you answer the question, "How are you?"

How do you answer the question, "How are you?"  

1. 1. How do you answer the question, "How are you?"

• "I'm good"
    • "I'm doing well"
    • "I'm fine"
    • Some other descriptive word - fabulous, wonderful etc

In grammar we have been learning about adverbs and adjectives. I had no idea that adverbs answered certain questions, such as how. I always thought adverbs only ended in -ly (I'm being very transparent here, LOL). So we just had a lesson a few weeks ago about well vs. good. Well being "not sick" and "how something is done". So when someone asks, "How are you?", proper grammar would not allow for the answer to be "good", because "good" is an adjective. So since that lesson, our ears have been perked to those that answer "good" and stumbling over our own response to get out of that habit. So we've been saying, "fine". But that seems so...blah. We need new adverbs to answer the question, "how are you", while still being genuine but not an open book, unless it's someone trustworthy, kwim?

So how do you answer?

but you might need to lower your expectations of other people. Hardly anyone ever knows the difference between well and good, and most people don't care. My kids correct my dh all the time because I correct them. He privately tells me that it's really no big deal. He has a good job without ever needing to know the difference. and this is why I suppose *I* teach them, and he earns the money. :) heh heh

This is what someone said to me when I answered their question with "fine."

The real reason I generally answer with fine is because asking how someone is is generally a polite greeting, not a true question as to how things really are with my person.

The person who seems to be genuinley asking how I am gets a genuine answer, which is a discussion, not a one-liner. I think answering with "well" is no different than "fine." JMO!:)

~Lisa

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that I think poorly of those who respond "good". I can't think that way because it's a habit we're trying to break ourselves, LOL! No, I just mentally note it with a smile at how many people respond "good". I have no expectations of people in this regard, LOL.

Why is it incorrect to link the adjective "good" to the personal pronoun "I" as in: "I am good"? If I wanted to use (or imply) the verb "feeling" or "doing" I would use the adverb "well" i.e. "I am feeling well." ;)

I know what you mean, though. MOST people I know use the word "good" when they should use "well" and it really bugs me!

I say "Fine, thanks." in general conversation, on most days.

If life is really rough, I'll say "Hangin' in there." or "We're hanging in there." (nicely, with a smile or nod) That satisfies people, and if they're really close and want to know more, they'll ask. It lets them off the hook if they're on the run, or were just asking politely.

Sometimes I'll say, "It's a good day, how's yours?"

It depends a bit on the formality of the situation. Just runnin' around after the kids, chit-chatting with friends, I'll say, "I'm good!", but I'm perfectly aware it's not grammatically correct. ;) (And there are times when I'll answer, wild-eyed, but with a grin, "A bit frazzled!" lol...)

If I'm "being a grown-up" and spending time in "polite" society, I'll say, "I'm well! And you?"

I distinctly remember my parents drilling me to say, "Fine, thank you. How are you?" when I was a kid. And for some reason it made me *extremely* uncomfortable, lol. I don't really know why. We finally agreed on, "Fine, thank you." ;)

is "Not dead yet." :p This usually gets a laugh, or a "Well, that's good." except for the few concerned souls who think this means he has a death wish. He just likes to throw people off balance. He also never asks anyone "How are you doing?" Instead, he asks, "Are we having fun yet?" When we were in college, he singled me out to date partially because I was the only girl in his computer class who responded correctly* to this question!

*correctly meaning actually answering the question rather than looking at him like he was a freak :)

"Just peachy!" "Fine, thanks."

Re. the "correct answer" - when I taught English in Japan, the textbooks all had the formula "How are you?" "I'm fine, thank you. And you?" I got so tired of being corrected by my students if I didn't give the textbook answer in return! I had to make a point to tell them that most Americans (I can't speak for the English) don't give a textbook reply back! Now, the Japanese language does have a lot of "prescribed" replies to certain formal questions, so that was a hard one for them.

If I'm doing well I'll say "Fine, how are you?" If in a bad mood I'll say, "Just peachy" If sounds like I'm saying fine but if you knew me you'd know differently. I had a bad experience with Peach Schapps when I was a teenager. I now have a severe aversion to all things peach. So, "Just peachy" means lousy:rolleyes:

Grammar Girl (podcast) had an episode some months ago about why it is just as grammatically correct to say good as well. I don't remember the reasons, but anyone who's interested could probably find it by subscribing to GG through itunes then looking through the old episodes.

Personally, I'm not consistent. I sometimes say I'm good; I am well, and you?; Just fine, thanks; or whatever else comes to mind.

I always say 'I'm fine' no matter what but here in Denmark people really say how they are. They will tell you if they have a headache, cold etc. The question isn't just rhetorical as it is in Britain or the US.

The Danes would be searching for more options in your poll....;)

rather than "I'm well". It just sounds better to me.

I've trained my dc to use well and good correctly since they were little tots without any grammatical explanation. They just know it sounds right and people are always impressed when one of my dc say "You did that really well".

BTW, my mil is an English teacher so there's a little pressure there lol.

I used to say "I'm fine, thanks, and you?" But, then I noticed that dh always responds with some variation of "Wonderful" or "Fantastic." When I asked him why, he told me that by saying it (sometimes multiple times per day), he begins to believe it and feel it. So, I began to try it, and, wow, it worked! Now, I generally say, "I'm feeling fantastic! How are you?" I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I'm a dork. :D

Lisa

I answer "Average", with a smile.;) I find that the vast majority of the time, this question is purely robotic. The person asking doesn't genuinely care how I'm doing, just like I don't genuinely care how s/he's doing. (Which is not to say either of us wishes evil on the other, simply that the question ~ and answer ~ is meaningless.) Since I enjoy throwing people off a bit, I answer, "Average". They of course expect to hear one of the standard replies (good/fine/well), and average just kinda throws them for a loop. It's kinda funny to hear how people respond to the concept of average. Apparently average just isn't good enough for most people.:D

...about folks asking that question (I think you and I were both pregnant with number fives, and struggling, physically), and how, if you say something like, "Bad, just like I was last time you asked. How are you?", then they're off...telling you about their latest ailment.

No real contribution to *this* thread, lol...just, reminiscing. :)

I find that if folks are seriously asking, they usually add something to it; "No, I mean, seriously...how are you?" If that's the case, I say something more than my standard "Good" or "Fine".

I answer honestly, but the details depend on who I am talking to. For instance, I am just getting over the flu right now, so to the cashier at the grocery store today, I responded, "Feeling better than yesterday, thank you." If I were to run into a friend today, I would probably say, "Still tired, but I am better than yesterday and sick of hearing myself complain. How about you?"

I have found that giving an honest answer rather than a pat "Fine." has opened the door to conversations with wonderful people that I otherwise would not have gotten to know.

I answer honestly, but the details depend on who I am talking to. For instance, I am just getting over the flu right now, so to the cashier at the grocery store today, I responded, "Feeling better than yesterday, thank you." If I were to run into a friend today, I would probably say, "Still tired, but I am better than yesterday and sick of hearing myself complain. How about you?"

I have found that giving an honest answer rather than a pat "Fine." has opened the door to conversations with wonderful people that I otherwise would not have gotten to know.

I try to do this whenever it is appropriate. Often "How are you" is just an extention of "Hello" and people don't really listen to the answer. So I try to discern whether I am expected to just follow the script and say "fine" or respond truthfully. I have also become aware of this habit in myself, and have been working on really meaning it when I ask someone how they are doing.

And BTW we had the "Adverbs" lesson today after my earlier reply, and I understand what you are saying now. I should know better than to question the grammer of anyone here!

Had to think about that question for a minute because I wasn't totally sure -- isn't it funny how automatic some things are? But it seems that my current response is along the lines of, "I'm great! How are you?" If things are not so great, I might temper it a little and say, "I'm doing fine, how about you?"

Had to think about that question for a minute because I wasn't totally sure -- isn't it funny how automatic some things are? But it seems that my current response is along the lines of, "I'm great! How are you?" If things are not so great, I might temper it a little and say, "I'm doing fine, how about you?" Or if things are really not so great, I might say, "I'm okay. How about you?"

Why is it incorrect to link the adjective "good" to the personal pronoun "I" as in: "I am good"? If I wanted to use (or imply) the verb "feeling" or "doing" I would use the adverb "well" i.e. "I am feeling well." ;)

I know what you mean, though. MOST people I know use the word "good" when they should use "well" and it really bugs me!

It's not incorrect to answer the question "How are you?" with "Good". That question calls for an adjective (because "are" is a linking verb), and "good" is an adjective (the predicate nominative required to complete the linking verb "are"). The same goes for "How are you feeling", because "feel" is a linking verb. But if the question is "How are you doing?" ,]?", then the answer calls for an adverb, and "good" won't do.