Menu

celebrating teenagers birthdays

My oldest is turning 17 tomorrow. I can hardly believe it's been that long. She had a big party last year, but I still want tomorrow to feel special, even though she's not getting a party per se (our family of 9 constitutes a party to *me*). My 2nd will be turning 16 in May, so it's her year to have a big party.

So what do you do in the later teen years that acknowledges the specialness of the child, without making them feel child-ish? our traditions seem somewhat outdated for a 17yo (balloons/streamers over the bed when they wake up, balloons/streamers/gifts at their chair at breakfast)...

I hope it's okay to ask on this board, it seems most on the gen. board have young kids.

Do you think she would enjoy lunch and shopping, just the two of you?

Is there a performance (symphony, musical, play) she would enjoy?

Maybe a letter from you telling her how proud you are of her :) maybe what you really appreciate about her - what about her is unique?

Tell her happy birthday from your imaginary friends :)

I just had one turn 18 two weeks ago and one turned 15 this past Saturday. For some reason it seems that birthdays around here last for about a week. First there is the immediate family bday - special dinner, etc., then extended family party which is usually Sunday afternoon, and finally the boys do something with their friends.

Our weather hasn't been very lovely here this month so whatever they choose to do with their friends must be done indoors. My oldest had a group of friends over Sunday afternoon for games and food. He seemed content. I made chili and desserts. In the past, we've taken groups to the rec center for basketball or swimming. My 15 year old is waiting for a good day to have a paintball party. He is also going golfing this afternoon with his older brother and grandfather, and all the fellas went to the gun/knife show on Saturday (his actual birthday).

The kids these boys hang out with don't go in for traditional type birthday parties. It seems that they just want to get together and have some fun. So, I just go along with whatever they want to do (within reason, of course).

I usually try to do something to acknowledge the actual day of the birthday, but often we end up really celebrating on another day due to work schedules, etc. (dh is a physician and isn't always free for special days). The kids don't seem to mind.

I did something special for my daughter's 13th. I invited her grandmother and three aunts over on the Sunday afternoon before her birthday. I polished my grandmother's silver tea set and pulled out my best tablecloth and china, and set it all out, sort of like a formal tea.

I had asked the other women to speak to her, in some way, about growing up: either their journey, or what being a godly woman means to them, or just encouraging what they see in her of God's gifts and grace. It wasn't intended to be a gift-giving occasion, but I did ask them to have their words written down so she could keep them. Gifts appropriate to the occasion and theme were allowed - I gave her a ring (being a tomboy, she's never had an interest in jewelry, but recently wished for a ring) and talked about the forever symbolism of the band in terms of her walk with God. The whole thing lasted less than an hour.

I know it will be a special memory for me; some of the others involved have said so, and I think/hope it will be for her.

I think my teen (also 16) would be disappointed not to see those 'outdated' traditions you mention -- the streamers and the balloons.

Can you ask her how she would like to celebrate her birthday? With mine, we do a family gathering as well as an event with friends. Most recently the latter has included four friends and has been a trip to the dollar movies followed by dinner at home and a make-your-own sundae do.

Happy celebrating!

Regards,

Kareni

We're going to see the London Actors Guild put on a play of "The Taming of the Shrew" tomorrow night (just her and her sister and myself, I can't wait! but they are a little more trepidacious (is that a word?) ) but I forgot about the dollar movies, and there's one there now that they want to see....

thanks! and I think I will keep the balloons/streamer tradition.

Unfortunately, our family is 1000 miles away, and we do miss those family celebrations.....

thanks!

jodi