Menu

What are your top 5 Jim Weiss CDs?

Laura in WA

I love the Jim Weiss CDs I've heard. Unfortunately, our library doesn't carry them. Every time I look at his website, I want to order everything. I can't afford everything, so I end up ordering nothing. :001_smile:

http://www.greathall.com/onlinebro.html

What are your favorites?

I have an 8 yr old boy and a 4 yr old girl. I want to get some of these in our house!

Thanks,

Laura in WA

I like the Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln. I thought about having all of the people I know order one of them and then we could all do an "lending library" trade thing. We also have SOTW III and will be getting SOTW I for this next year. I love 'em! Even my husband will listen to them on the way to work...

Carrie:-0

I also like "The Jungle Book". My eyes tear up near the end of the story no matter how many times I listen to it. My son likes Sweet Dreams" and "Good Night" when he goes to bed and my husband's favorite is "Abraham Lincoln and the Heart of America"

For us, one of the best parts of homeschooling was discovering Jim Weiss. I can't figure out why he's not more well known in the world at large.

My kids said that they are all their favorites. So I asked if there were any they don't like. "Nope."

We have Arabian Nights, Tales from Cultures Far and Near, the knights of the round table, He and She, Greek mythology, Animal Tales and Galileo and the Star Gazers.

Galileo and the Stargazers, buy the way, was great when we lived in Europe because we kept visiting places related to Galileo or Kopernicus or Tycho Brahe and the kids actually knew who he was.

Also, if you like Jim Weiss, you might like Odds Bodkin. His Paul Bunyan stories is great and I also like his retelling of the Odyssey.

...hard to pick a few, that's for sure! We own a lot of these (too many, maybe) -- but have listened to them over and over and over. I need to order some more... but these are some that we have listened to repeatedly

Giants!

Animal Tales

Fairytale Favorites

Shakespeare

Galileo

American Tall Tales

HTH!

Sandy

I love the Jim Weiss CDs I've heard. Unfortunately, our library doesn't carry them. Every time I look at his website, I want to order everything. I can't afford everything, so I end up ordering nothing. :001_smile:

Laura in WA

I always thought a cd sharing community would be great. Everyone order 2 of them and then rotate them....

Carrie

Wow, there are so many I want to buy! I wish they had a CD-of-the-month club that I could just sign up and get a new Jim Weiss CD every month. Eventually, I would get them all without having to agonize over the decision each time. :001_smile:

Thanks for the responses so far!

Laura in WA

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's been years since my kids listened to these, but they were a fixture in our house:

Egyptian Myths

Gallileo (astronomy one)

Greek myths

Shakespeare (included Taming of the Shrew)

Sherlock Holmes

The bedtime stories ("Get comfortable and lets go someplace wonderful together..")

Tales from Far and Near

Three Musketeers

We own:

Galileo and the Stargazers

Romeo and Juliet

Celtic Treasures

Egyptian Treasures

King Arthur and his Knights

My kids love them all but they frequently ask for the Stargazers one. I plan to purchase more in the next few months to coincide with our Medieval History studies this year.

We have about a dozen of them and the kids LOVE every single one. As you can see from the posts, everyone seems to like something different and there aren't a couple that stand out or anything. So I'd just go with the topics you'd think your kids will like. I guess these are probably our favorites (I have boys!):

- Greek Myths

- Robin Hood\Three Musketeers

- Arabian Nights

- Queen's Pirate

- Treasure Island

- Tom Sawyer

Also, my 6-year-old son got the STOW Vol. 1 for Christmas, and he STILL wants to listen to parts of it every single night! I'd say THAT is his favorite Jim Weiss CD. Check your library for that. I'd also put in a suggestion at the library to purchase a few of these.

I have an 8 yr old boy and a 4 yr old girl. I want to get some of these in our house!

Thanks,

Laura in WA

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dus-stripbooks-tree&field-keywords=naxos+junior+classics&x=0&y=0&ih=13_13_3_0_1_0_1_0_0_1.60_113&fsc=-1

My son *much* prefers the Norse and Greek Legends, The Tale of Troy, and the Arabian Nights to Jim Weiss.

I bring this up because I don't hear them mentioned much, here, and they are really wonderful. Benjamin Soames is a fabulous reader.

Edited by kalanamak