Menu

MIT vs. Caltech?

Can anyone characterize the differences between these two schools for me? A while back some of you told me about the "amazing energy" etc. to be found at MIT. I'm wondering how Caltech's "personality" differs. Of course there is the East Coast/West Coast thing, but I'm not sure how much the typical coastal stereotypes fit either of these schools. I'm just trying to get a feel for both, in a comparison/contrast way. Campus visits would be nice, but probably not likely.

Anybody have insight?

Of course those are two of the best universities in the world, so either one would be just amazing, in my opinion! Congrats that you may be choosing between the two! They are both world leaders, with extraordinary faculty and students-- you probably already know that!

You'll get more feedback on College Confidential because many of the posters there are know the two programs in detail. I would definitely read those board and post specific questions.

I would say that it really depends on the particular program that the student wants to study, and then analyze the work done in that field by the respective schools. When you are at that level, it is definitely the particular faculty that you would work with that could make a huge difference.

Cal Tech, of course, is in sunny LA, a smallish green campus outside the city. MIT is big, urban and Bostonian. Sometimes those two huge differences can make a student want one atmosphere more than the other...

Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted! Those are wonderful schools to choose between!

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/

Of course those are two of the best universities in the world, so either one would be just amazing, in my opinion! Congrats that you may be choosing between the two! They are both world leaders, with extraordinary faculty and students-- you probably already know that!

I don't know enough about the specifics of either school, just adding my congratulations to you and your student!! Wow. How encouraging for you.

Thank you for your congratulations, but ds is only a junior and we're "just looking" as of yet!

One thing I find interesting is that Caltech has waaay fewer applicants than MIT, like 4000 instead of 12,500. Why would that be? So statistically speaking, he has a better shot at Caltch. And, it seems like their financial aid packages may be better, based on average debt upon graduation. Hmm. We'll see.

One thing I find interesting is that Caltech has waaay fewer applicants than MIT, like 4000 instead of 12,500. Why would that be?

According to Peterson's, Caltech had 3071 applicants and accepted 17%. Of those, 191 enrolled. MIT had 11374 applicants, accepted 13%, 1002 enrolled. I'm not sure how to gage where one has the better chance, since the stellar-but-not-STELLAR students probably do not apply.

One of my friends is on the faculty at Caltech. He thinks that students can receive a more well rounded undergraduate education at a four year liberal arts type of school, but should consider places like Caltech for graduate research. His views may be biased since he himself attended a four year liberal arts school and now primarily works with graduate students on research projects. (Shrug.)

I do think that students should visit the campuses of these highly competitive schools to see if they are in their comfort zone.

Jane

Caltech had 3071 applicants and accepted 17%....MIT had 11374 applicants, accepted 13%,

After I posted I realized how stupid it sounded to say he has a better shot at Caltech because fewer apply. I should have included the admit rates. Thanks for correcting that! Anyway, 17% is a better chance than 13%, right? :)

Your professor friend is probably right, but not sure how much sway it will have with ds! ;)

I have NO idea how the two of them compare --

BUT --

When my kids were trying to narrow down the field of colleges, I urged them to sit down for two or three HOURS (per interesting college) and poke around the college websites. There is an ABUNDANCE of information on them -- everything from what the dorms are like to descriptions of religious groups. The colleges work hard to have their websites reflect who they "really" are, and my kids have found them to be an absolutel treasure-trove of information.

If you absolutely cannot visit them beforehand, I guess your son should apply to both (I know -- they both have painful applications) and then visit whichever one(s) he gets accepted to.

I cannot urge you enough to let him visit the schools before he accepts, even if he puts of the visits until April so he only visits schools he has been accepted to. My dd, a college freshman, says that the only people she knows who are unhappy at her school accepted it either 1) on the basis of financial aid packages only; or 2) sight unseen.

My son has applied (and been accepted) to a college that he has not seen. We are waiting until early April, when he will have heard from all the others, to schedule visits, but we will not allow him to go to a college he has not seen.

MIT and Harvard are both in Cambridge, MA. There's a friendly rivalry between them (MIT students refer to 'the liberal arts school up Chuck River.' (The Charles River runs by both schools between Cambridge and Boston.) Having two of the best schools in the world just two subway stops away from each contributes to a unique atmosphere in Cambridge.

Let me add that having one of the better public transportation systems in the country gives MIT students full access to all the area has to offer. It's a densely populated and developed area and has a lot to offer (cultural, definitely historical) but if a student likes green space and a lot of open room to breathe, it can be difficult.

My dd says that the only people she knows who are unhappy at her school accepted it either 1) on the basis of financial aid packages only; or 2) sight unseen.

Oh great, since ds will probably be both 1) and 2) above. I'm just praying right now (literally) for help on this whole thing, since dh cannot fathom the idea of paying money for School X when you have a full-ride at State; nor can he fathom spending money on a plane ticket to visit. He's a great guy, but a farmer who just does *not* relate to this concept. I really don't know how things will all wash out. Of course, ds must actually be accepted first and so I've got the cart before the horse...borrowing trouble from tomorrow, as they say, when today has enough of its own. Ugh. But I'm trying to be prepared, checking out all the angles (financial and otherwise) now, so maybe there will be fewer surprises later. That is, till they lose my ds's application....;)

Thanks for listening to me whine. My brain is addled from reading too many financial aid books. I think I requested 49.