Menu

Easy Grammar VS Growing with Grammar

Alison in KY

Which of these do you think is clearer on explaining grammar? I've used GWG Gr. 1/2 and I liked it. I'm going to buy a 4th grade grammar for my son for this year. The small sample of GWG didn't look like it had as much explanation as the EG sample...I need to re-learn along with him and I hated grammar in school...all those terms that I just didn't get. Yeah, I made good grades, but it was all for the tests :tongue_smilie:

Alison in KY

My 10yr. old son just started GWG4 a few weeks ago and loves it. He likes the Student Manual, it makes him feel grown up;). Before we were using FLL4 but as much as I loved it, it was too much for him. GWG4 my son mentioned that he likes how it's not introducing a whole lot of concepts at once.

I only used Easy Grammar for 2nd & 3rd, so I can't comment of the upper grades. We only used if for a few months. This was a few years ago when I was still in my searching stage for LA material

I chose to go with GWG because it was more student dependent. If he has a problem I have him go back to his 'Manual' if he still doesn't get it (which is rare) then I'll go over it with him.

Blessings,

Yeah, I made good grades, but it was all for the tests

This is exactly what happened with my oldest using EG. He's a grammar geek in training and very good at it. After coming out of FLL his opinion of EG was, "a really boring way to do grammar." He could retain enough to ace the reviews, but it didn't stick well. He's using R&S now and we're back to enjoying grammar, no eyerolls included even. :) There's a lot of oral review, and a good chunk of the written practice can be done orally as well. My second will be going through all of the FLLs, then switching to R&S for fifth grade level.

No experience with GWG. I vote for FLL, which wasn't one of your options. :lol:

I tried EG for 6th grade with my oldest and, though he did fine with the lessons, couldn't remember anything for the review. This is par for the course for him, though, so it may not be the fault of the program.

I'm using GWG for my 5th grader this year and I really like it. I do like that it has diagramming, which EG doesn't. I like that every lesson has review. I don't remember if EG had that or not. I like that the lessons are in separate book from the worksheets so it makes looking things up in the textbook less cumbersome.

I will stick with GWG. Wish they had the older levels done for my older ds.

I ordered EG 5/6 and returned it...the graphic layout was chaotic to me; I was getting headaches just trying to stop my eyes from jumping around. So, unfortunately, I can't compare how the explanations are because I couldn't even get through them w/EG. I'm a visual learner.:cool:

We are using GWG 3, 4, and 5 this year w/my 8, 10, and 12yos. I very rarely have to help explain things to them, and when I do it's only a quick clarification. Each level seems to cover basically the same things, only in more depth each year...you could probably skip a level fairly easily.

But do you think that GWG explains the what and why easy enough for myself and my children to get it? From the brief online samples it looked to me like EG went into more detail in explaining what you were supposed to do. I have enjoyed our GWG grade 1/2, but I really want to understand what is going on with grammar and be able to tell my son why we are doing things...hopefully my retention will improve also :glare:

Alison in KY

But do you think that GWG explains the what and why easy enough for myself and my children to get it? From the brief online samples it looked to me like EG went into more detail in explaining what you were supposed to do. I have enjoyed our GWG grade 1/2, but I really want to understand what is going on with grammar and be able to tell my son why we are doing things...hopefully my retention will improve also :glare:

Alison in KY

The explanations are similar between the two books. Here's an example. Keep in mind that I'm comparing EG 6 with GWG 5, so the EG sample would be expected to be a little more advanced.

Easy Grammar 6:

To lie means to rest.

To lay means to place.

Forms:

Infinitive Present Past Present Participle Past Participle

to lay lay(s) laid laying (had) laid

to lie lie(s) lay lying (had) lain

(note: the above is in the form of a table - I don't know if it will appear the right way in the post)

Lie/Lay is one of the most difficult concepts in the English language. The past tense of to lie is the same as the present tense of to lay. Remember that to lie means to rest.

Two basic items for lie/lay:

1. To lie/lay are irregular verbs and must be mastered.

2. Lays, laid, and laying will have direct objects.

Examples:

Anna is (lying, laying) in the sun.

(the sentence is repeated with the markings) There is no direct object. Laying requires one. Also, you can insert resting for lying.

A doorman (lay, laid) a package on the floor.

(the sentence is repeated with the markings) There is a directy object - package. Hence, laid is used. Also, placed can be inserted for laid.

Growing with Grammar 5:

The verbs lay and lie are other verbs with similar meanings that are easily confused.

The word lay means to put or place something. Lay is always followed by a direct object.

Did you lay your coat on the floor?

The girls lay their books on the table.

In these sentences, the verb lay means to put or place the direct objects coat and books.

The four forms of lay are lay, (am, is, or are) laying, laid, and (have, has, or had) laid.

Please lay your keys on the counter.

He is laying the keys on the counter.

He laid the keys on the counter.

He has laid the keys on the counter.

The word lie means to rest or recline. Lie does not require a direct object. The words after lie tell where.

I think I will lie on the couch.

Did Grandpa lie down?

In these sentences, the verb lie means to rest or recline. What did you lie? Nothing. There is no direct object for lie. The words after lie tell where the resting happened.

The four forms of lie are lie, (am, is, or are) lying, lay, and (have, has, or had) lain.

The cats lie in the grass.

The cats are lying in the grass.

Yesterday, the cats lay in the grass.

The cats have lain in the grass.

Note that I didn't put in the underlining or bold print.

Hope that gives you an idea of the differences.

I like GWG better. I tried EG for awhile, but it just didn't stick. GWG is a much better fit for us. It's quick, straightforward, and the dc actually remember it. The grammar explanations build nicely, too. My 4th and 6th graders both were covering the same topic early last week, but the 6th grade book covered it in much more detail. I like that there is daily review, but that it only picks a few topics to review instead of dumping everything on them every day.

Megan, thank you so much for the examples, that was wonderful.

Okay, I've been pouring over EG and GWG and I'm still a bit not sure which one, but I guess with so many plugs for both programs, maybe neither is the WRONG choice.

After looking over a friends EG book today I started thinking...and excuse this ignorant question, but WHY :glare:do we have to learn grammar? Is it really just to help us write better? I cringe even thinking of all the terms for the words...participle, objects, etc....it's mind boggling to me.

Alison in KY

[

After looking over a friends EG book today I started thinking...and excuse this ignorant question, but WHY :glare:do we have to learn grammar? Is it really just to help us write better? I cringe even thinking of all the terms for the words...participle, objects, etc....it's mind boggling to me.

Alison in KY

I'd like to know too!

This is a silly comparison, but it may matter to you. I like the layout of GWG much better than the layout of EG. Both have lots of white space, but GWG is arranged in a way that's easier to read.

I've heard many people say that EG didn't "stick."

What I'd really like is R&S in more modern language. I know GWG attempted to do that, but it's not the same.

Megan, thank you so much for the examples, that was wonderful.

Okay, I've been pouring over EG and GWG and I'm still a bit not sure which one, but I guess with so many plugs for both programs, maybe neither is the WRONG choice.

Alison in KY

I know this thread is a few days old, but this is so me teaching grammar to my DD. If it isn't blatantly obvious, I am digging in the teacher's manual for help. Grammar leaves me looking like this guy :confused: . I hope when I start teaching my K'ers that I will pick it up as we go, but DD is on her own with anything past noun, verb, adjective concepts.

I've found this thread very helpful and informative!

I can't comment on either program as we've never tried them. We're currently using First Language Lessons Level 3 with our 1st grader (we're stretching it out over 2 years though) and really enjoying it. :)

Although I haven't used EG, I can say that GWG is a hit here. My daughter has completed 3&4 and is mid-way through 5. She loves that she can do it independently. The lessons are varied, there's daily review, and there's sentence diagramming (that's her favorite part - go figure!)

Alison in KY

Quite a few home schoolers don't teach their kids grammar. I don't know if you'll find any on these boards, though.

But, learning grammar is a way to have a greater understanding of how the English language fits together. I like to use Lance Armstrong as a metaphor. Mr. Armstrong is a great cyclist. You can bet he intimately knows all the little parts of his bike, how they fit and work together, and how to fix something if it's not right. Does he think about this while he's racing? No, but I'll bet he knows his bike/s like the back of his hand. And, although perhaps not absolutely necessary to win the Tour de France multiple times, that intimate knowledge of his bicycle contributes to his abilities.

Same with writing. Many will become good writers whether they study grammar or not, but having an intimate knowledge of how English words fit together and how to fix something if it's not right is a tool that can make one a better writer.

At least that's my theory. Who knows, I may be wasting my dc's time! :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, if you liked GWG, I'll bet you'll like their level 4, too. The explanations are quite clear and simple. I can't compare to EG, though, so don't know how much use that is for you.

Edited by LanaTron
spelling

I taught in a school that used Easy Grammar and Daily Grams, in grades 3-5. I loved it. It was very clear, and very easy for the kids to understand. My kids had a VERY good understanding of grammar. The first thing we did was spent almost a month getting the prepositions memorized solidly (largely through obstacle courses and chants and stuff). It's true that it didn't teach diagramming, and that's not great, so I wouldn't use it all the way through. I would switch to a program with diagramming for middle school and up. But my kids really had a rock solid understanding of the fundamentals. Getting rid of the prepositional phrases really helps simplify sentences.