Menu

Confused about First Form Latin...

Kfamily

Does First Form replace Henle or Latina Christiana or does it fall somewhere between those two?

Highlands Latin School does First Form 1,2 and 3 in grades 4-6 and then goes to Henle in 7th. I was thinking about trying First Form for dd next fall in 7th but would this be backtracking? We are only in Unit 1 of Henle (but I hope to finish it by summer) and are moving slowly right now. We did not do Latina Christian 1 or 2 (we did use Prima Latina and Our Roman Roots). I was planning on our picking up the pace in 7th. I had considered adding Cambridge but also like the new program Latin for the New Millennium. I also wanted to hear more about First Form.

Thanks everyone:001_smile:

Great question! I am trying to figure it out myself. Hopefully a First Form user will answer. My understanding from the MP website is that First Form is to be used after Latina Christiana I, and that it (the series of First, Second etc Form) does in fact replace Henle.

Alternatively, you can start beginners right in with First Form around 5th grade and be fine.

Of course, I have heard such great things about Henle, and I wonder, if it's so great, why a new program? Also the irony of so many new products for this ancient language continues to tickle me.

Does First Form replace Henle or Latina Christiana or does it fall somewhere between those two?

Highlands Latin School does First Form 1,2 and 3 in grades 4-6 and then goes to Henle in 7th. I was thinking about trying First Form for dd next fall in 7th but would this be backtracking? We are only in Unit 1 of Henle (but I hope to finish it by summer) and are moving slowly right now. We did not do Latina Christian 1 or 2 (we did use Prima Latina and Our Roman Roots). I was planning on our picking up the pace in 7th. I had considered adding Cambridge but also like the new program Latin for the New Millennium. I also wanted to hear more about First Form.

Thanks everyone:001_smile:

Okay, Memoria Press is in the process of updating it's Suggested Course of Study, so look for that. What I'm being told right now is that you have a couple of different options depending what your goals in Latin are. You can go LC1 then First Form, Second Form, etc. (which replaces Henle 1 and covers the Latin grammar), then go into Henle 2, translations.

Students at Highlands do go through LC1. New students (4th and up) who haven't had any Latin start in First Form. New students (7th and up) do First Form and Second Form in one year, completing the entire Latin grammar in 2 years.

so were does LC2 fit in? Good question. Right now they are telling me that if your goal is to read and translate, then skip LC2 and do First Form. If you just want a couple of years of exposure to Latin without any further Latin studies, the do LC1 and LC2.

I will say that First Form is a much better book than LC2. I am switching my daughter from LC2 to First Form. The explantions and the workbook pages and the drills are just plain better.

Thank you so much Angelina!

We are in Henle now (only just starting) and I wondered if we could go into First Form for 7th and then should we do 2nd Form as well that year (if it is even out yet)? If we do all three forms (say 3rd Form in 8th or so ) will we be ready for Henle 2 the following year?

Hope that is not too many questions...:D

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by Kfamily

Thank you so much Angelina!

We are in Henle now (only just starting) and I wondered if we could go into First Form for 7th and then should we do 2nd Form as well that year (if it is even out yet)? If we do all three forms (say 3rd Form in 8th or so ) will we be ready for Henle 2 the following year?

Hope that is not too many questions...:D

Thanks for all your help.

My 6th grader just finished the Henle 1 syllabus from MP. He liked the looks of First Form and asked to switch. About half of First Form will be review from Henle so I am anticipating no problem getting through First and Second Form in one year--Second Form will also have some review. And then if we(or you) decided to keep that pace, then Third and Fourth Form would be completed in 8th. And yes, that would be followed up by Henle 2. Although I have no problem slowing that pace down if necessary. And if you haven't had any Latin before, you might strongly consider slowing down that pace. Getting to Henle 2 in 10 or 11th grade is still quite an accomplishment.

First Form will be officially released in the summer and Second Form will be in beta (or so we are told) in the Fall.

Of course, I have heard such great things about Henle, and I wonder, if it's so great, why a new program? Also the irony of so many new products for this ancient language continues to tickle me.

Have you had a look at Henle? It's ugly. I'm sorry, but it is.

Also, you really start to get sick of the poor Gauls getting their bums kicked after a few units of Henle, and you root for 'em every time!

Gosh, now I'm more confused. Check out this from the HS board:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87199&highlight=form+latin

Hmm. That is strange. I can only imagine that he answered a specific question that she asked. Brian and Cheryl Lowe are both in the yahoo group for First Form Beta. And the information I've been sharing has come from that group.

There must be some confusion somewhere because Highlands does NOT use the First Form series in high school; and as I said when they use it in junior high, they are doing 2 forms per year. I don't see how one form could equal a high school credit, but then again some people use LC that way. Who knows?

I know that the First Form series is not designed to be used one per year in High School; that would mean that a student would never get to read anything like Caesar.

The person who posted that info may have asked Brian if First Form *could* be used in High School, and of course it *could* but it is not designed for that. It is specifically designed for middle school and moves way too slowly for a high school text. Like I said, a student would never get to read any Latin at that rate. But again, everyone has different goals.