Menu

Embarrassing question - pimple on lip?

Okay, I do get cold sores/herpes on my lip at times, so I know what they are like, and this one does NOT feel or look like my usual cold sores.

Yesterday evening I noticed this small whitehead on my bottom lip. It looks exactly like a small whitehead would on my face (and I do get plenty of those still, even at 43) but is it possible to have a regular pimple on the lip?

It is slightly sore, but not too bad. Somewhat reddened skin around it. It does NOT have the clear, blistery look of a cold sore, nor does it itch, burn and hurt the way those do.

So, has anyone here had something like this? Can you get a whitehead on your lip? If so, any treatment? I use benzoyl peroxide on my face, but don't think that would feel so good on my lip!

Michelle T :o

Okay, I do get cold sores/herpes on my lip at times, so I know what they are like, and this one does NOT feel or look like my usual cold sores.

Yesterday evening I noticed this small whitehead on my bottom lip. It looks exactly like a small whitehead would on my face (and I do get plenty of those still, even at 43) but is it possible to have a regular pimple on the lip?

It is slightly sore, but not too bad. Somewhat reddened skin around it. It does NOT have the clear, blistery look of a cold sore, nor does it itch, burn and hurt the way those do.

So, has anyone here had something like this? Can you get a whitehead on your lip? If so, any treatment? I use benzoyl peroxide on my face, but don't think that would feel so good on my lip!

Michelle T :o

My understanding (and I may be wrong on this) is that lips, themselves, don't have oil glands. So if it's right on your lip, it can't be a pimple, by definition. I'd be cautious of popping it or making it mad if it's right on your lip.

Now, if it's at the line, but could be a pimple from a gland right at the edge, oh yeah, I'd pop that sucker. But then, I'm a picker. :)

My understanding (and I may be wrong on this) is that lips, themselves, don't have oil glands. So if it's right on your lip, it can't be a pimple, by definition. I'd be cautious of popping it or making it mad if it's right on your lip.

Now, if it's at the line, but could be a pimple from a gland right at the edge, oh yeah, I'd pop that sucker. But then, I'm a picker. :)

I also thought there were no oil glands on the actual lip, so that's why I'm wondering if it could be a regular pimple. Sure doesn't look like a regular cold sore though and doesn't feel like one either.

Michelle T

My DD gets these occasionally, but it is usually associated with a tiny crack in her lip that gets infected. They're much worse if she has chapped lips, and they can get as big and ugly as a cold sore, but they aren't. Sometimes though, she'll get them when her lips look otherwise normal.

We keep it clean, use some peroxide if you have any, then we'll often put neosporin on it, as you would chapstick.

This happened to me a year or so back and I went to the doctor over it because it got so big. DO NOT MESS WITH IT. I also get cold sores, yet this was not like that. And yet the doctor said it was indeed that pesky little Herpes virus. I have no idea why it felt so different and seemed like a pimple, but the doctor said it was not a pimple. Could not be because there are no....???/something in the lips.

Anyway, leave it alone. It will eventually heal. Put tea tree oil on it. It might help.