Menu

Can club sport participants get college scholarships?

Ask the coaches. I know that colleges do definitely look at USA swimmers. I don't know if states have restrictions on offering scholarships to them or not. I did hear something this year about that, but just in passing. My son happens to be back in school now and does both, so he wouldn't be impacted, anyway. Some states, such as Ohio, don't allow kids to participate in both club sports AND high school sports, so they have to choose. I don't know how that would impact scholarships, either.... I think there may be some variety in how these things work from state to state....

whether he is likely to get noticed depends on the sport and how heavily he markets himself.

For some sports, the club version is more competitive than HS. Gymnastics is certainly this way, and gymnasts are recruited almost exclusively out of their club teams.

Terri

You need to register with NCAA. Most families I've known on this path were in swimming and club swimmers definitely get look a from college recruiters. However, most families register with NCAA early 9th or 10th grade and start having their ducks in a row then. Most scholarship money goes to revenue producing sports (football, basketball, lacrosse-at some schools). Girls can have more luck getting scholarships in other sports because schools are required to be equal in distribution of athletic scholarship money.

I'm not really expecting a wrestling scholarship for ds. I just wanted to know what route to take to help him at least feel better about missing out on high school sports opportunities if he homeschools.

I do know of one case where a friend's son was invited to wrestle for VMI. His grades were really low, and he may not have gotten in otherwise, but the invitation did not come with any scholarship $.

Ds 17 may homeschool part time, and he won't be able to participate in hi sch sports. Is there the possibility of a scout coming to a club meet? This would be for wrestling. I will, of course, contact the club to ask, but I wanted a heads-up if anyone knows.

You have to be pretty dang good to get a scholarship, club or not. I'm talking years and years of dedicated training (in swimming, at least). But at many places you can walk on as long as you have your NCAA ducks in a row.

hth,

Georgia

Ds 17 may home school part time, and he won't be able to participate in hi sch sports. Is there the possibility of a scout coming to a club meet? This would be for wrestling. I will, of course, contact the club to ask, but I wanted a heads-up if anyone knows.

Is he not able to participate because the school won't let him? In my area the school sends out notices to HS'ers (upon request) and allows them to try out for sports, as long as they have seen the nurse and received the "green card" which is a health release slip. We currently have a HS girl on the field hockey team (team caption) 2 HS kids in gymnastics, and 2 swimmers. My dd will be trying out for the middle school soccer team and basketball team, she has tried out and played on the Division 1 traveling team for 2 years already.

Our club league is a "poacher". The clubs hate that name but the towns get so mad because they will poach kids, the best players, from town recreational leagues and train them for premier leagues and have scouts come for a meet and greet. A girl in HS just got a full sports scholarship to Boston College from my dd club, different age though.

I don't know much about recruiting for wrestling but my ds played baseball and dd plays softball and it is more about being where the scouts are and sending your info to them, than them coming to find you. You may be able to find some articles or a book about finding a college for wrestling. For my dc's sports it is best to find schools that are a good fit for sports ability and academics. Then send out a resume and cover letter including any stats available. Some players sent CD's of them playing and others waited to get a request from the coach. There were also college camps and showcases that the kids could attend.

It is true that many, many Division I schools use up all their scholarship dollars for football and basketball. More scholarships are available now for women athletes, too. My nephew is number one in his state for cross-country running and he couldn't get any sort of scholarship at all to the state run college he's attending. (He had good grades, too!)

Did your son have success in pursuing college baseball or are you just sharing what you know from others who he played with?

Baseball is my ds sport. He is only 11 but on the elite team for our state. I really would rather homeschool him for high school and don't think playing baseball in college is that worthwhile to pursue ( I know there is not much money for baseball). But if it is something he really wants to do we'll have to know how to proceed. He does not have access to any public/ private school athletics in our state.

I have wondered if all the travel ball and summer league ball and camps/ showcases would be enough exposure for him to see what his options are instead of always feeling like he missed out because he didn't play on the high school team.

I'm rambling. My question is did your son or other homeschooled teamates have success in getting a college coach to look at him?

I really don't want to send him to high school but I may have to if it is the only practical way (and if I can't talk him out of it).

Thanks... I just haven't ever crossed paths with someone that knows the ins and outs of baseball specifically.

Marie

My son did not. He had an arm injury before his junior year and his arm never regained the strength. He was in public school from 8th grade on but I would think that as long as your son is on a competitive team that it should be fine. The tricky part is that in the spring for high school there would be an off time that he would not be playing. Having a rest though is not a bad thing. I would think as long as he is able to get exposure at showcases, etc. and play on a competitive team part of the year (summer and fall?) it should be fine. The summer before my son's senior year he traveled with a team out of New Jersey and got a lot of exposure. Two coaches were considering him from there and he probably could have played at a junior college in GA. The coach told him he was in the top 2 of his recruits. Ds decided then that he really didn't want to play. He wa not playing at the same level before his injury and it was frustrating for him. The Perfect Game showcases are expensive but are key in coaches seeing the players. I will link you to a great board where you can find lots of info and can ask others who have gone through the recruiting process: http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/

I also don't know what this possibility is but in our county there is a homeschooled sports program. The baseball team is excellent, plays many of the area teams, and many kids go from there on to Christian colleges and community colleges to play ball.

for the info. I'm sorry about your son's injury. I'm off to check out that link. I want to be prepared for wherever the next few years take us. I'm not that worried about him playing college ball but I don't want to close any doors on him either.

All we have here for homeschoolers is a basketball program. I don't think we'd have the talent base for baseball to be competitive.

There is legislation being introduced to allow homeschoolers access to all public school activities but I am not hopeful.

Thanks again.

Marie

You're welcome. We've all come to realize that everything worked out for the best, although it was difficult at the time. Our state allows homeschoolers to play in the public school system. My dd is playing ps softball now and it is a very positive experience.