Menu

Word doc to create lined WWE copywork pages?

beth in md

I would like to create my own copywork pages for WWE using text from what we are currently reading.

Does anyone know where to find lined handwriting pages in a word doc so I could modify the sentences each week? I looked online and can only find pdf files for handwriting paper.

My handwriting is horrible so I would prefer to type the sentences rather than print them.

Beth

It's easy to make your own lined page in Word with sentences followed by blank lines, using a few shortcuts. You can then save the initial page and use it as a basis for later pages, without having to resort to templates. Here's how:

To make your initial Word document, type a sentence laid out as desired, then where you want lines to appear, hold down the Ctrl key (on a PC) at the same time as the U key (that's the shortcut to turn on underlining), then let go of those and hold the Tab key. It will zoom across the page making a line for you as long as you hold down Tab. (Or just hit Tab repeatedly.) You can put space between underline lines using Enter, to make them far enough apart for child's handwriting. To turn off the underlining, hit Ctrl U again and you'll be back to normal text entry.

I find this method quick and easy for creating worksheets.

If you think you'll need the same pages in the future, you can make a reusable set: just save the first page with its name, then do a Save As, give the document a new name, and replace the sentences.

Hope this helps!

If you wanted to invest a few bucks, you could buy StartWrite CD-rom. It has fonts for all general handwriting types (HWT, Getty-Dubay Italics, plain, etc...) and you can fine-tune it by font size, whether you want an outline letter or solid, etc..We use ours constantly so it's been one of my better curriculum purchases (and there are so many)!

Thanks to you both for your good ideas!

Katharine, I was struggling with how to insert a dotted line in Word for a primary grade handwriting format and found a great tip on-line...if you just type *** and Enter, it will give you a dashed line. (When it did a normal dashed line, it kept converting to a smooth line when I hit enter).

Also, the suggestion about fonts gave me the idea to see what I already had and I have a font called "Schoolhouse Printed" that lets me type the copywork sentence in a ruled format!

So, it seems I am all set. Thanks ladies!

If you wanted to invest a few bucks, you could buy StartWrite CD-rom. It has fonts for all general handwriting types (HWT, Getty-Dubay Italics, plain, etc...) and you can fine-tune it by font size, whether you want an outline letter or solid, etc..We use ours constantly so it's been one of my better curriculum purchases (and there are so many)!

You can cut and paste too;) I'm loving Startwrite!

Hi, Beth. Thanks for that dotted line tip. I didn't know that one. It's quick and easy. I see you've got a font now you can use instead of doing this manually, but for others I'll add this:

If a fine (not chunky) dotted line is needed, you can do this in Word using the tab leader feature, though it has a few quirks. Go to Format, choose Tab, type the number of inches which represents the text area of your page (say, 6 if your document margins are set to 1.25) in the box, then choose left alignment, and choose one of the dotted leader styles. Then in your document you just hit Tab once with your cursor at the start of a line and it will make a dotted line right across.

Happy worksheet making!

Edited by Classical Katharine

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Google "penmanship print". It's a downloadable free font that has handwriting lines. You use the ` to create seamless lines. I use this font with word to create our copywork pages for WWE, FLL, history and science.

OK, this is WONDERFUL! Perfect!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get it to work in Word so that it's in my pull down fonts menu. Can you possibly explain it to me like I'm 5 years old? :D

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get it to work in Word so that it's in my pull down fonts menu. Can you possibly explain it to me like I'm 5 years old? :D Today 12:23 PM

I'll try. This is for Windows.

First you have to unzip the file. When you do, save it to your desktop (easiest).

Your fonts are stored in a file called fonts which is in the control panel, under settings, under the start key.

So, once you have you file unzipped and sitting on the desktop, click on start, then settings, then control panel and open the fonts file. Click and drag the desired font file into it.

Done.

If you have an accompanying text file, start a new file folder in my documents (call it Fonts text files or something obvious!) and save it there. Don't put it into you fonts folder.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I'll try. This is for Windows.

First you have to unzip the file. When you do, save it to your desktop (easiest).

Your fonts are stored in a file called fonts which is in the control panel, under settings, under the start key.

So, once you have you file unzipped and sitting on the desktop, click on start, then settings, then control panel and open the fonts file. Click and drag the desired font file into it.

Done.

If you have an accompanying text file, start a new file folder in my documents (call it Fonts text files or something obvious!) and save it there. Don't put it into you fonts folder.

Many thanks! This worked so well that I searched out a dashed printing font too, for tracing for my dd4!

Thank you, thank you, thank you OP! This was a huge help to me. I've actually used a couple of worksheet generators and I don't love them. This is a breeze on Word though! I can cut and paste and do anything imaginable!

OK, this is WONDERFUL! Perfect!

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get it to work in Word so that it's in my pull down fonts menu. Can you possibly explain it to me like I'm 5 years old? :D

I see you received help for getting the font onto your system. There are many excellent, free handwriting fonts out there that can be found by googling handwriting font.