Menu

I wanna know if anyone buys or sells from Amway. What do you think of the compay and what has your experience with them been? I'm asking because my mom has gotten involved and is constantly nagging me to get involved as well. I'm a bit skeptical because i've gotten involved in companies like this before and the outcome has always ended up to be a waste of time. She keeps talking up the products but I've looked at the list of ingredients and basicaly the products I use now are much better.

any input i can get here from you guys would be helpful because she is driving me crazy constantly talking about this company and how she's gonna get rich and then I'll be sorry. I kinda don't wanna say anything to her because I feel like there are somethings in life that are better learned on their own. I kinda feel like she's putting all her eggs in one basket when i feel like she should be doing this on the side for some extra income and let it slowly develop into a good income living. But i don't see her getting rich here. Am I wrong?

I like some of their products. I won't do any programs like that. I have been on the sidelines of a wonderful Amway/Quixstar group and enjoyed it from there. You just couldn't pay me to be part of something like that, though I have no negative experiences. HTH, a little.:001_smile:

It is a multi-level marketing company. The only way your mom will get rich from it is if she has a great downline under her. Meaning the more people she signs up to sell and the more merch they sell the more money she will get.

Well, I've known some VERY involved, VERY busy Amway people throughout my life and *none* of them were wealthy. In fact, it seemed as though all their money went right back into Amway (products/meetings/conferences, etc.). It's very sad.

I have been in the business for a long, long time. No, I am not rich, basically 'cuz I'm lazy :-) I do, however, have friends who are very comfortable, and a couple who would fit in the category of "rich."

Amway, Tupperware, and Avon have proven over the course of time to be reliable direct-sales companies. None of them guarantee, however, that anyone will get rich; they provide the tools, but the distributors/reps/whatever have to supply the elbow grease. If your mother does the work and is consistent, yes, she certainly could become self supporting with her Amway business.

I love almost every Amway product I have ever used. I cannot imagine using any Brand X for laundry, general home cleaning, personal care. I think it would be a nice gesture on your part to try some for your mother's sake, but feel free to tell her that you do NOT want to become an IBO (independent business owner). Without customers IBOs will not make money, after all.

I've known a few people who have done Amway. We had some very good friends a few years back who became very involved in Amway and tried very hard to get my husband and me in. They even took us to an Amway pep rally of sorts, in which a bunch of motivational speakers told us how rich we would be someday, thanks to Amway. When we declined, it pretty much ended the friendship.

Yes, there are people who make lots of money doing it, but they work very hard for that money. You have to constantly recruit people, constantly try to get the people under you to recruit people. With our friends, they began to view every person they met as a potential client. Every conversation turned into an Amway conversation. Personally, I would rather work hard at a job all day than spend every waking hour trying to sell people on Amway. They spent time focusing on what material things they dreamed of acquiring as a way to keep them focused on Amway.

Our friends eventually dropped Amway after about five years. They never made any money at it, and constantly trying to recruit people got tiring. I think that's sad, because they dropped a lot of their friends in order to move on to greener pastures.

Sorry to go on so long. I don't have any specific advice on how to handle your mom. I don't know anybody who's been successful with Amway.

Edited by Staci in MO
Just did objective case personal pronouns in R&S, better practice what I preach. :)

I've done mlm companies before--Amway seems to be one of the more "live your job as your lifestyle" type companies. I've seen numerous people get sucked in to the "positive thinking" philosophy, and it just seems to invade every moment of their lives.

For me, there was essentially no day off--it was all about presenting the opportunity at every opportunity. Make it seem easy, make them feel they could do your job and do it better.

The products may be good, there is a chance to make $ if you like selling and recruiting, but it's not for me because I need more of a separation between my job and my life, and having more stuff does not lead to greater peace of mind, imo.

Your mom's nagging and harrassment are exactly why Amway has the scary reputation that can send people screaming from the room. In the 80's, I remember skit after skit on comedy shows and clubs making fun of Amway true believers who basically scare away their family and friends with the aggressive marketing tactics.

I lost a friendship due to being aggressively recruited for this. They gave me tapes to listen to, which really turned me off. "You can be rich. Have more time for your family. No time to make presentations? - get a babysitter." No lie, it really did say that. Part of Amway's problem is that the uplines make money on the training materials that their downline buys (at least that is how it was in the 90's.) So, success was not dependent on the products, but on selling marketing and training materials, which is a dishonest way to run a business.

If you do an internet search, you will come up with tons of information on unethical practices of Amway business groups. Corporate says they do not encourage these things, but turns a blind eye when he happens.

I am not opposed to the concept of MLM's in general (I sell Usborne), but there are many out there that are bad news.

We did it for a couple years, but it changed to Quixtar. You make money by having people in your downline, so if you're not going to hand out cards and be a salesperson everywhere you go trying to get people to sign up you won't make any money. My dh did it. Drove me batty. We bought all our staples from them and I hated that. It was cheaper to go to Walmart and get deals. They have great make-up and some great products, but you'd make just as much money being a rep for a homeschool company or books like Usborne.

I wouldn't do it. Unless you're an agressive sales person, it's not for you. Our upline...the top ones that got us started made $20,000/year and they've been doing for almost 6 years. You'll do great if you're a great salesperson. But you have to sell it 24/7.

I have been in the business for a long, long time. No, I am not rich, basically 'cuz I'm lazy :-) I do, however, have friends who are very comfortable, and a couple who would fit in the category of "rich."

Amway, Tupperware, and Avon have proven over the course of time to be reliable direct-sales companies. None of them guarantee, however, that anyone will get rich; they provide the tools, but the distributors/reps/whatever have to supply the elbow grease. If your mother does the work and is consistent, yes, she certainly could become self supporting with her Amway business.

I love almost every Amway product I have ever used. I cannot imagine using any Brand X for laundry, general home cleaning, personal care. I think it would be a nice gesture on your part to try some for your mother's sake, but feel free to tell her that you do NOT want to become an IBO (independent business owner). Without customers IBOs will not make money, after all.

I agree with all of that.

We were in it a long time too. We didn't get rich because we weren't prepared to do what it took. But we knew people who were.

Their products really are fabulous. I really must get hold of an Amway dealer here to start buying the products.

I don't really know anything about the business plan of Amway, but if it is anything like Melaleuca (I am a part of this company) then she can certainly make good money if she works hard. I am fairly lazy (or maybe just focused on schooling my kids/enjoying them as children), so basically I only work hard when we need something like a new car and accept the 'little' residual check the rest of the time. It really depends on how much she is willing to put into it as long as the compensation plan is set up well.

Hopefully she will leave you alone soon though since you are not interested.

The only rich people in an MLM are at the top.

yeah --that's how it is in a traditional business too, LOL! ;)

I wouldn't do it, because when i get involved in something I'm like a bulldog: I dive into it deep and won't let go.

But there's a mentality about MLM's, used car salesmen, insurance salesmen, attorneys, and other industries that requires LOTS of work, especially at the initial stages, and your family will likely pay for it as far as family time is concerned, or your friends/ family will feel an obligation to buy their products/ car/ insurance/ legal services through you.

MLM's are like baseball: not everyone likes it, but it's a legitimate sport w/ a huge following and plenty of corrupt practices and people. :D Expect good AND bad parts, then work through them.

This is just my experience. I notice that a lot of people in the church tend to be into this stuff. I feel like I am constantly approached by someone who is involved in a multi-level marketing program. Does anyone know why that is?

I have had people who did Amway, Pre-Legal Services, Excel Communications, Arbonne, Nature's Sunshine, Mary Kay, Avon, Primerica, etc. approach me. Many of them were from my church and many were family members. Some approach me with a get rich point of view and how they are quitting their job to make all this money from this program and many do it as extra to supplement their income.

I personally do not like being a door to door salesman. I like it if people are doing it to make some extra money and don't mind if I once in a while buy from them or if I buy once and never again, but the people who have been demanding and say, "don't you want to help me to get rich?" (they don't say it like that, but in the translation that's what they are saying) I feel like trying to find the nearest escape route with those.

If you want to do it, then OK do it. If you feel like you are being pressured, think about it.

The person that was involved with Amway was my brother-in-law. He was an operating nurse and made good money. The man that he sent to our house was a medical doctor. I remember he said that if we reject this program that we would not be blessing others who could use this. I was so turned off that he used "Christian" words to get us involved.

I am just sharing my experience.

May the Lord bless you.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Edited by Testimony
got the correct name of the companies

This is the only thing in my entire 18 year marriage that seriously threatened it. I have absolutely nothing good to say about Amway and honestly this is the closest thing I have ever seen to cult behavior in my life and I have seen a lot of weird stuff including an actual commune in Germany.

When I was in my late 20s a friend at work, a registered nurse, asked me if her boyfriend, a pediatrician could meet with me after work.

I think he tried to get me to sell Amway for him. The catalog was very shiny and slick and I thought the prices were too high.

When I declined the offer, he became irate. He slammed his expensive briefcase and stormed off. I was shocked by his response!

I found out later he was in a lot of debt. I was very unsettled by his response.

Edited by Karen FL
Poor details.

Guest janainaz
Well, I've known some VERY involved, VERY busy Amway people throughout my life and *none* of them were wealthy. In fact, it seemed as though all their money went right back into Amway (products/meetings/conferences, etc.). It's very sad.

I've seen the same thing. In addition, I've seen people brainwashed. Some friends of ours were all wrapped up in it and all we could do was to sit back and wait for them to learn for themselves.

This is the only thing in my entire 18 year marriage that seriously threatened it. I have absolutely nothing good to say about Amway and honestly this is the closest thing I have ever seen to cult behavior in my life and I have seen a lot of weird stuff including an actual commune in Germany.

:001_huh:

I'm sorry you had that experience. Mine was different; Mr. Ellie and I count our time of activity in our Amway group as one of the most productive and postive-life-changing in our 35yr marriage, even though we were way too lazy to work hard.:D Although I have ocassionally met Amway folks who remind me of Billy Bob or whoever that guy is who sells stuff on TV, lol, we mostly knew people--on all levels--who were compassionate, responsible, full of integrity, wanting only to help us to reach our goals, whatever those goals were.

I have used some Amway products that I like, but people who hoodwinked me into coming to their house "for dinner" and then launched into a presentation were fanatics. I do not like fanatics of any ilk, regardless of what they're fanatical about, fanaticism itself scares me.

Of course, I have not met every person who has ever sold Amway, so my experience is, of course, limited.

I have used some Amway products that I like, but people who hoodwinked me into coming to their house "for dinner" and then launched into a presentation were fanatics. I do not like fanatics of any ilk, regardless of what they're fanatical about, fanaticism itself scares me.

Of course, I have not met every person who has ever sold Amway, so my experience is, of course, limited.

I have met some non-fanatics who sold Amway but they never made any money and they only lasted a few months to a year. All of the ones I met that stayed with the company were scary fanatics. Of course I have not met all of the Amway dealers in the world so I can draw no logical conclusion that they are all fanatics. Perhaps someday I will meet one who is not a fanatic and still stays with the company long term and actually makes some money.:001_smile:

I have met some non-fanatics who sold Amway but they never made any money and they only lasted a few months to a year. All of the ones I met that stayed with the company were scary fanatics. Of course I have not met all of the Amway dealers in the world so I can draw no logical conclusion that they are all fanatics. Perhaps someday I will meet one who is not a fanatic and still stays with the company long term and actually makes some money.:001_smile:

My sponsors were friends from church (the wife made my wedding dress). They have made money, have been in the business for over 30 years, and are not scarey fanatics (other than to be thankful for what the business has done for them). I know many others who have made money, are not scarey fanatics, and have stayed with the business for many years.

Mr. Ellie and I aren't fanatics, and have also been in the business for over 30 years, but we havn't made money, so I guess you can't prove anything by me.:D However, I must also say that we haven't worked at our business, either, and no matter what you do, if you don't work, you don't make money. I'm just happy to be able to keep using the products, and I have no doubt that if I really needed to bring in an income, I could do it this way.

My mom has been an IBO for oh... 20 years? But she has never really SOLD it - she uses it to get the discount on the stuff she uses. Occastionally someone will buy something from her, but she doesn't really have regular customers. And I buy my stuff through her IBO # (shhhh!) so I get her price. She's never had a problem with anyone above her giving her a hard time, and she doesn't look at it as an income opportunity - just a discount opportunity.

We did it for a couple years, but it changed to Quixtar. You make money by having people in your downline, so if you're not going to hand out cards and be a salesperson everywhere you go trying to get people to sign up you won't make any money. My dh did it. Drove me batty. We bought all our staples from them and I hated that. It was cheaper to go to Walmart and get deals. They have great make-up and some great products, but you'd make just as much money being a rep for a homeschool company or books like Usborne.

I wouldn't do it. Unless you're an agressive sales person, it's not for you. Our upline...the top ones that got us started made $20,000/year and they've been doing for almost 6 years. You'll do great if you're a great salesperson. But you have to sell it 24/7.

The business plan now is exactly the same as it was before the Internet and Quixtar. You don't make money merely by having people in your downline--not now, not before Quixtar. You make money if you sell a box of soap, sponsor someone, and teach him to do the same thing. It is exactly the same now as it was over 30 years ago when I joined.

I don't buy "staples" from myself (other than toilet paper, just because it's easier to buy a big ol' box and have it shipped to my house); I buy primarily the mainline Amway products. They are superior to any Brand X I have ever tried. They are usually at least as economical as Brand X products, too. Mr. Ellie is allergic to every Brand X laundry detergent and bath soap; I have made my dc promise that when we're old and decrepit and they put us in an old folks' home that the home will only wash our clothes with Amway stuff.:D

...but people who hoodwinked me into coming to their house "for dinner" and then launched into a presentation were fanatics.

I can safely say that after spending the night at Ellie's house she never once came off as fanatical :D

.....not about Amway anyway....;)

{{We should do a mid-Texas get together again someday!}}

Guest Katia

I have a similar experience with Amway and my marriage. My dh was totally taken in....we had no job...no money.....and my doctor had us over to 'visit' and we spent over $100 to get a basic start-up kit! Plus, we still had to buy more motivational materials AND for the kicker....drum roll.....my doctor decided I needed to stop breastfeeding my then 10 month old baby so that dh and I could spend more time recruiting our down-line. That way baby could stay with a sitter (she ate every two hours around the clock). I did not want to do this. This was my third and last baby, and the only one I had successfully produced milk to feed. But dh was adamant that Amway was more important (even when I pointed out to him that we had already spent more money than we had and my parent were supporting us!), and he would NOT let me feed my baby again! Instead, my baby cried and cried, I cried and cried, and we had to sign up for WIC to get formula. Because of Amway. Sick.

And, dh made me listen to these motivational tapes every time we stepped in the car to go anywhere. They made me sick. Down right sick. The most important thing was making money and having more, more, more. And leaving your kids to make this money was necessary. Being content with where you were in life and being happy in your current job was NOT ok, and forGET being frugal: spend, spend, spend....especially to go to meetings, meetings, and more meetings to meet wonderful Christians that had wonderful money in our wonderful up-lines.

Sick. It was just.sick.

Doctor and dh told me I was going to make my dh fail. It would be all my fault because "I" wasn't "doing my part". Nope. Taking care of 3 small dc, the house, the cooking, the laundry, the bill-collectors, etc. while dh went to meetings instead of to job interviews.....that was failure as far as Amway was concerned. Because I didn't go with him. I didn't hire unknown sitters to stay with the kids. Sick.

Finally, I sat dh down and told him if Amway was his thing: fine by me. But I wasn't interested in a group of people that thought money was more important than their children and their families. If he wanted to pursue it; fine. He could do so without me. I would just stay home and hold down the fort. But I would no longer use their inferior products (dh made me purchase their disposable diapers which leaked like mad and cost twice as much). If he liked a product and wanted to use it: fine. But I was purchasing products that worked for me. (I also hated their shampoo/conditioner and laundry detergent and make-up)

I can not tell you how relieved he was when he finally admitted to me that I was right and he had been totally taken in by the 'life-style' that was constantly put in front of him by these people. He apologized for the breast-feeding thing that could NEVER be recaptured, he applied for real jobs, went to interviews, got hired, and we could finally pay our bills.

And, all those wonderful Christian friends he had met? We never saw or heard from a one of them again, and my doctor 'recommended' me to 'someone closer to where I lived'. Yeah, right. Sick.

I hate Amway. JMPersonal experience. But, from others I've talked to....our experience is not all that uncommon. Frankly, I'm always very surprised when I read that Ellie here has had such a wonderful experience with it. It just shocks me.

Sure wasn't OUR experience. When I hear the word "Amway", I run as fast as I can....in the opposite direction.

A very large number of folks in my church sell Amway. Really nice, sincere people. One was a good friend in high school (and her parents are millionaires, in part from Amway, in part from several other business ventures). My parents finally decided to join Amway when I was in college. My dad already had his own business (based in sales) that was successful but wanted to build another business for us kids. He worked very hard at Amway, did all they asked, made my mom start buying all their products. He started leaving his other business with others so he could go to the Amaway rallies in neighboring states because that is what was expected.

At one rally he went to pay his hotel bill and was told he had to pay the posted rate. When he made reservations he asked for a business discount based on his original business - a rate half of what he was being charged when he checked out. The hotel refused saying that since he was there for Amway, the Amway person in charge refused to allow people there for the conference to have a discount. When my dad pressed further, he learned from my friend (the daughter of this leader) that the person in charge of this rally actually received a kickback of sorts from the hotel for having the rally there-it was written in his contract iwith the hotel when he scheduled the event there. The only way to pay less was to stay a hotel not hosting the event. Needless to say, my parents were livid and felt cheated. The leaders son in law later told my dad that the leader made much of his empire by getting a percentage from the hotels, selling tapes and books, and the like. My dad had known this leader for over 10 years thru church and confronted him about the high room rates and what he was told by the hotel and others. The leader had no remorse and even encouraged my dad to keep building his lines so he could do the same someday.

Needless to say, my parents left Amway and have never looked back.

Those still involved in my church spend hours with one another each week. Thursday meetings, weekend rallies, big conferences... They travel together. They move to live near one another - sometimes across several states. As soon as the older children can, they are babysitting the younger so the parents can have meetings. They are a huge support group for each other, to the exclusion of others. Of my son's age group at church, of the 10 kids, only 2 are not part of Amway families. He is never invited to their parties even though we see each other 3x a week or more at church and I have known some of their parents for over 20 years. They never come to his invites because they are always traveling somewhere with Amway. Their kids spend so much time together they don't realize (or care) they exclude everyone else. They are a huge click from preK to adults. You know when Amway has a conference -one entire section is literally empty at church those weekends. Despite trying to get to know them (newer ones to our community), every single one I have invited to my home usually can't because something is already happening with Amway or trying to build a downline, or the like. Or it is the only night they aren't doing Amway related activities and they just want to veg at home.

My dh and I laugh sometimes at the trends among the Amway folks - if one has a big conversion van then they all do for traveling. If one suddenly switches to a small SUV, then one by one they all do. If they homeschool, they all use the same curriculum. They have their own homeschool co-op. Their kids all take the same lessons from the same places locally - whether it be swimming or basketball or music. Their college kids all start at the same college. They attend the same camps...

My experience was awful, too. I was already in a horrible position when we were approached my Amway people and I bought into the opportunity. Ended up alienating the few friends I had at the time and going further into debt then we already were. I finally started doing some math and realized that the couple who was the highest up in the chain locally had been working their butts off for years and years and they both still had to work full-time jobs in addition to that just to maintain a lower-middle class lifestyle.

What a scam.

I, too, liked the actual laundry products, but everything else is way too expensive and most things are individually wrapped - horrible for the environment. I used to wonder if the Amway people were robbing convenience store supply trucks to get their stock. Why wouldn't they sell stuff in bulk packaging if it was supposed to be cheaper?

When I decided to quit, the woman who recruited us couldn't look me in the eye. She had such a guilty conscience about the whole thing she refunded a big chunk of the money I'd spent from her own pocket. That was the only positive part of the experience.

I have a similar experience with Amway and my marriage. My dh was totally taken in....we had no job...no money.....and my doctor had us over to 'visit' and we spent over $100 to get a basic start-up kit! Plus, we still had to buy more motivational materials AND for the kicker....drum roll.....my doctor decided I needed to stop breastfeeding my then 10 month old baby so that dh and I could spend more time recruiting our down-line. That way baby could stay with a sitter (she ate every two hours around the clock). I did not want to do this. This was my third and last baby, and the only one I had successfully produced milk to feed. But dh was adamant that Amway was more important (even when I pointed out to him that we had already spent more money than we had and my parent were supporting us!), and he would NOT let me feed my baby again! Instead, my baby cried and cried, I cried and cried, and we had to sign up for WIC to get formula. Because of Amway. Sick.

And, dh made me listen to these motivational tapes every time we stepped in the car to go anywhere. They made me sick. Down right sick. The most important thing was making money and having more, more, more. And leaving your kids to make this money was necessary. Being content with where you were in life and being happy in your current job was NOT ok, and forGET being frugal: spend, spend, spend....especially to go to meetings, meetings, and more meetings to meet wonderful Christians that had wonderful money in our wonderful up-lines.

Sick. It was just.sick.

Doctor and dh told me I was going to make my dh fail. It would be all my fault because "I" wasn't "doing my part". Nope. Taking care of 3 small dc, the house, the cooking, the laundry, the bill-collectors, etc. while dh went to meetings instead of to job interviews.....that was failure as far as Amway was concerned. Because I didn't go with him. I didn't hire unknown sitters to stay with the kids. Sick.

Finally, I sat dh down and told him if Amway was his thing: fine by me. But I wasn't interested in a group of people that thought money was more important than their children and their families. If he wanted to pursue it; fine. He could do so without me. I would just stay home and hold down the fort. But I would no longer use their inferior products (dh made me purchase their disposable diapers which leaked like mad and cost twice as much). If he liked a product and wanted to use it: fine. But I was purchasing products that worked for me. (I also hated their shampoo/conditioner and laundry detergent and make-up)

I can not tell you how relieved he was when he finally admitted to me that I was right and he had been totally taken in by the 'life-style' that was constantly put in front of him by these people. He apologized for the breast-feeding thing that could NEVER be recaptured, he applied for real jobs, went to interviews, got hired, and we could finally pay our bills.

And, all those wonderful Christian friends he had met? We never saw or heard from a one of them again, and my doctor 'recommended' me to 'someone closer to where I lived'. Yeah, right. Sick.

I hate Amway. JMPersonal experience. But, from others I've talked to....our experience is not all that uncommon. Frankly, I'm always very surprised when I read that Ellie here has had such a wonderful experience with it. It just shocks me.

Sure wasn't OUR experience. When I hear the word "Amway", I run as fast as I can....in the opposite direction.

I would be steaming mad at the breatfeeding incident. I dunno how you lived through that.

I also am not too crazy about their products too. I haven't used them but going through the list of ingredients ... there is no way I would let any of that stuff near my skin or hair.

My mom keeps trying to talk me into it but i feel like if I don't like the product then i'm not gonna push it onto someone else.

I would be steaming mad at the breatfeeding incident. I dunno how you lived through that.

I also am not too crazy about their products too. I haven't used them but going through the list of ingredients ... there is no way I would let any of that stuff near my skin or hair.

My mom keeps trying to talk me into it but i feel like if I don't like the product then i'm not gonna push it onto someone else.

There are jerks in all walks of life. I have met some homeschoolers who could have turned me off forever to homeschooling.

Amway has won awards for its environmentally safe products, packing, and practices, long before it was fashionable to be "green." The shenanigans that some IBOs do are not sanctioned by the company; those folks are just jerks. They would be jerks even if they were not selling soap. I've met some of them, but happily, the ones who were closest to me were true role models, in life as well as in the business.

Tell your mother you're not interested in being an IBO. Buy a bottle of LOC. Call it a day.

It is called Multi-level Marketing watch

http://www.mlmwatch.org/

This gentleman, Dr. Steven Garret, has this website called Quack Watch. He tries to blow the whistle on doctors and people that claim that they are great, but are really quacks.

He has a section on multi-level marketing companies because many of them are health food related which is medical.

It is a very informative website.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

• 1 month later...
Guest EForce615

I am an IBO with Amway.

Products are great

The integrity and character of the team you choose is very important

My wife and I have had a great experience over a few years

It's not get rich quick...more like wealthy slowly....but the thought process of success mentality and self worth are priceless.

As far as your mom......

Always respect her, but ask her to respect you and your decisions also

Tell her that you will at least try the products....they have a 100% guarantee and free return shipping

Understand that she may be new with the business and yes i'm sure she is very excited but if she is on a good team...they will teach her people skills and posture and patience

Be thankful that she has a dream and is willing to work to make extra money instead of expecting government handouts and maybe even her children to give her money.

You may even want to check the business out for yourself. It exemplies the very opportunity that our freedoms in America offer us - free enterprise...and based on the current conditions of our economy, it may be the most stable business model around. Amway Global grew $1 billlion over last year. :)

My sole Amway experience - in high school I was invited by a distant acquaintance from school, M.J. to a "party". She would not give any more information. Curious, I went - and it was a pitch to be an Amway salesperson....under M.J., who had recently signed up herself. M.J.'s immediate higher-up in the Amway food chain was there to oversee her presentation and try to help M.J. sign us up as salespeople.....emphasizing how much money we would make when we in turn signed people up and moved up the Amway food chain.

I was not an idiot. If M.J. was so desperate for Amway underlings to have called me, whom she barely knew...then who would be left for me to call? Plus I was pissed that she had refused to tell me in advance that it was not really a party, but a sales pitch for Amway.

I think the products are fine - and if a person has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances to sell to, and is gregarious (I am not except here in cyber-space ;-) )

then Amway or any other home-sales company (Tastefully Simple, etc) might be a good fit. But it is not for everyone - and I detest the high pressure to make other folks join or have parties that comes during a "party". I won't go to my neighbor's Tastefully Simple parties anymore for just that reason.

Edited by JFSinIL

Your mom's nagging and harrassment are exactly why Amway has the scary reputation that can send people screaming from the room. In the 80's, I remember skit after skit on comedy shows and clubs making fun of Amway true believers who basically scare away their family and friends with the aggressive marketing tactics.

I certainly wouldn't say this about all Amway reps, but there is a certain "feel" many of them have as if they are part of some cult or something. I was attacked...err, approached in a health club once by someone who was pretending to want to befriend me, all in the name of adding me to their sales scheme. I've had friends and a family member get involved and contact us for no other reason than to get us to join up...it just feels so selfish of the person when they do that to you, all based on their desire to make $$, and no real desire to talk to you as a person. I am fully aware that their are genuinely wonderful people involved in Amway who are so not like that, but my immediate reaction is to run the other direction when I hear it brought up. Eeek!

Teresa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest LoraEN

Hi..

Just want to add some insights about amway.

Before, I am too enthusiastic of doing the business.

I love most of their products and its true that i also felt i'm overspending with all the conferences and seminars they want me to attend. Another problem is all that i prospected persons have resulted to rejections. I am not LAZY. I have a full time job and resides very far from where they held all the conferences and seminars. Thus, this membership I have is putting me in to more costly manner plus the fees they collected with the seminars. I don't have enough salary to allocate a budget in running my amway business. And I suppose, it should be amway to provide me extra income.

I don't say AMWAY is a bad company. What I'm pointing out is how can I earn much without spending so much on seminars? How can I sell products if I couldn't continue using due to its prices are heavier on my budget?

Hoping for a feedback soon from an IBO. thanks.

Honestly? This doctor needs to be reported to his professional organization. That's serious breach of ethics. I don't care how long ago this was. He may still be doing this to patients.