Menu

Veritas Press Scholars Online Diploma Program

I'm posting this because I thought some of you might be interested in this option for your dc. Veritas Press is offering 4 different levels of diplomas through their online school.

I really appreciate this road map. It is certainly easier for me to stay focused if I have an "end game". Working backwards from VP's diploma requirements, I am able to plan specific curriculum paths for each of my dc. My dh and I also like the idea of our dc receiving a diploma. I have seen so many homeschoolers around me work so hard for so many years and have their dc come out of it with a GED. I don't know where my dc will end up, but I at least want to aim high and strive for the most that I think my dc can accomplish. I don't say this to appear snobbish or diss a GED. I'm just saying that for our family, the idea of a diploma from a Classical Christian Academy is very attractive.

I would sure like to hear other's thoughts about their diploma requirements.

Dd was very energized to see all 4 years of high school neatly laid out. I know she thinks I'm just "shooting from the hip" with respect to her education.....

Graduation Requirements

So, what do you think?

I looked at this and am wondering the value of it compared to standard homeschooling. Forgive my ignorance.

My son (going into 10th next year), is in public school for 9th but we are bringing him home for the remaining 3 years (we homeschooled previously but tried out public school for this year). Since I thought the public school route was going to work for high school, I haven't really started looking into graduation/diplomas until now.

never mind ~ I just called VP and talked to them in person. I guess the upshot is, you cannot get a diploma except a GED when you homeschool.

I disagree with the last statement. I intend to issue my senior a diploma when she is finished homeschooling. It will not be an accredited diploma; however, it will be a genuine diploma.

Regards,

Kareni

Veritas Press Scholars Online Diploma Program

Graduation Requirements

So, what do you think?

A few random thoughts ....

I do like the fact that the program is strong in math and science as this is an area in which homeschoolers can often fall short. (I see to remember that Barb Shelton considered Saxon Algebra 1/2 to be all the math her high school graduate needed! http://www.homeschooloasis.com/Transcript_Tory.doc )

However, I think that each student has his or her own strengths and that two years of calculus would aiming very high for some. Likewise, while I think three or more years of science is laudable, I don't believe they necessarily have to include Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. (My teen has taken Physical Science, Chemistry, Geology, and Environmental Science.)

Only the Highest Honors diploma has a student taking three years of the same language (Latin Readings I requires Latin II). While I think that taking two or three languages would be wonderful, a number of the colleges that my daughter has applied to are looking for three or four years of the same language.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Regards,

Kareni

What do most homeschoolers do with respect to a diploma/GED ?

Yes, I know you can issue your child a diploma as a parent. I guess what I meant to ask is the diploma VSA is offering more significant? In TN, an issue came up here in state for a yougn man applying for a state job (fire fighter) and he did not meet the requirements to apply because he did not have a state accredited diploma and did not have a GED either. The state at the time said that for home schooled students to meet the state requirement of having officially graduated, they must get their GED. I know there was a lot of legal review going on about the matter and I don't recall the final word on the matter.

I also ask, because when I contacted some of our local universities about the matter of a diploma from a non-accredited school, basically (Vanderbilt) said they any non-accredited school diploma is treated in the same category as homeschoolers. They have to jump through a few more hoops during the application process, but it is still doable. A diploma from an accredited school just simplifies things, mostly. So, that is why I ask if the diploma program they are offering is really beneficial?

When I called this morning, they said they are in the process of accreditation.

When I talked to them this morning, they said they are in the accreditation process, but I don't know with who. Laurie Detweiler is personally calling parents back about questions. I'm on the list of call backs about this. I'll let you know.

I'm glad to see this option out there. VP certainly has seemed more hs friendly in the last few years and it's wonderful to see all of the online offerings and now the option for a diploma. I think my dc would implode, however, if I gave them 4 online courses per year. Two online classes seems to be the max with my dc. But I know several in Florida who do their entire school virtually, so it must work for some!

Thanks Jackie for letting us know about this.

Lisa

I think my dc would implode, however, if I gave them 4 online courses per year.

Lisa

:iagree:

One of the interesting/attractive things about this program is that they will approve outside credits on a case-by-case basis. That will be one of my discussion points when I talk to them later this week. I really don't know all the details. I've just begun to look into this as an option for us.

I hope to substitute some of the VP science and math courses with coursework from our local public high school. I really just think there is a lot of benefit to a lab. atmosphere for biology and chemistry. I also would think it would help for a college to see those lab. hours. Just guessing here.

Another reason to substitute math and science is because I think the material is much more objective. It would be harder to substitute a composition class, for example.

But Lisa, back to your point about all those online classes. I agree. That just wouldn't be healthy for my dd. I can't imagine it, either. My dd has really enjoyed taking a couple of classes at the Jr. High this year. She feeds off the energy from the other kiddos. And so far, the energy has all been good.... (crossing my fingers here).

Also, we plan to do all 6 years of Omnibus, 1 year of Latin, and probably the Greek, through VP anyway. So, for a couple hundred $$ more (per year), we can get a diploma, transcripts, help with scholarship apps, etc.

Without having all the details, it looks pretty attractive to me right now.

Only the Highest Honors diploma has a student taking three years of the same language (Latin Readings I requires Latin II). While I think that taking two or three languages would be wonderful, a number of the colleges that my daughter has applied to are looking for three or four years of the same language.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Regards,

Kareni

Yikes!! I wasn't aware of the language requirement. I thought that Latin II, Greek I, and 2 years of a modern foreign language would be enough! I sometimes wonder how they expect a student to do it all..... :svengo: I like the mix of Latin, Greek, and modern more than 3 years of one language. I think it actually shows more aptitude.

You guys are scaring me, we are going the Associate route and I think you have to follow the schedule ,you cant minimize classes. I learned that mistake w/another online school, they also changed their grad requirements midway. Now we are playing catch up.

I am sorry we havent done Omni, Latin or Logic and for that sake we are taking six courses for four yrs.

Did someone mention they are not accredited, if not I will have to change her next yr. because I dont want to run into issues, I thought VP was accredited.:confused:

Where is that high school forum, or should I start a VP high school group here?

• 2 years later...