Menu

Has anyone used Far Above Rubies by Lynda Coats???

Hi,

I ran across this 4 year highschool unit study Far Above Rubies by Lynda Coats. It looks interesting to me, but I would greatly appreciate some info from some of you that might have used this curriculum. My daughter is in 7th grade right now, so high school is just around the corner.

Thanks so much for your help,

• 1 year later...
Hi,

I ran across this 4 year highschool unit study Far Above Rubies by Lynda Coats. It looks interesting to me, but I would greatly appreciate some info from some of you that might have used this curriculum. My daughter is in 7th grade right now, so high school is just around the corner.

Thanks so much for your help,

I see this post is a bit old, so I don't know if you are still looking into this. I will try to email you about this post when I'm done.

This curriculum is SO wonderful. Nothing like it for girls. It is so thorough, well-researched, and based on God's word.

I have ours arranged chronologically for the history and interspersed some of the "non-history" units in according to the maturity of the topics covered and the season of the year we would be doing them. That is the beauty of this curriculum, it can be arranged to fit whatever plan God shows you with your children.

Email me if you have specific questions about it. I only have two little boys left, so I may be selling it. I haven't decided if I have the heart to let it go, though. I'm still thinking on it. Thought maybe I should save it for grandaughters!:001_huh: Not sure yet. We will be looking into purchasing Blessed is the Man waaaay down the road when my boys are older.

Blessings,

Denise

Actually, I am interested in hearing more about this. Although I have followed a classical approach with my 17dd, it may not be the best path for my youngers. Do you feel that this program prepares girls for college work, or is it geared more toward a full and lovely life at home? Just trying to get a feel for how stiff and complete the academic part is. I love unit studies. :)

ETA: I found the website with information- http://www.lyndacoats.com/?page_id=3

Edited by Blueridge

imho...It will definitely prepare daughters for college. It has all subjects for the four years of college and provides a very good base of the subjects needed. The living books and resources suggested are excellent. The only thing you would need to add specifically for the college-bound would be upper level sciences and math (ie...chemistry, algebra I and II, etc.). We used and loved Apologia scences and Teaching Textbooks for the math.

There are 20 units that are titled with a verse or two from Proverbs 31. Each unit has from 3 to 5 mini-units under it that relate to the verse in some way. For example, UNIT 4 is titled: " She is like merchant ships; she brings her food from afar." and the Mini-Units are: A. Food Production and Distribution B. Trade, Travel, and Transportation C. The Age of Exploration D. Oceans and Ocean Life, UNIT 11 is titled: "She is not afraid of the snow for her household; all of her household are clothed in scarlet." Proverbs 31:21 and the Mini-Units are: A. The Climates and Seasons of the Earth B. The Uncertainties of Weather C. The Stars in the Heavens. Then there is a paragraph describing what the student will study/learn about each mini unit, followed by the choices of activities under each subject (per unit). The student then chooses her activities. I hope this doesn't sound complicated, because it really isn't. Just hard to explain/describe without actually "showing" you. :o

The study is written directly to the student and it helps them make choices, and "own" their education. There are also choices for every type of learner. I feel they learn more because THEY are doing the choosing for the most part, so they are already interested before they even start! There were certain lessons I would circle/star lightly in pencil, ahead of time, that I wanted our dd to do, but the rest was up to her. This curriculum also teaches them time management, scheduling, studying, researching, and working more independently... all valuable skills needed in college and/or running a home and family. It is definitely not only for the happy homemakers among us, though :001_smile:.

I love that Bible study is included in each unit and is the core of the whole program. Everything is analyzed next to scripture. The author does not take a stand on controversial issues, though.

It really doesn't matter what order the units are done. Included is a list with the order of the units rearranged chronologically for history, if you prefer to do history in this way. This is how we set ours up, as I stated before in my other post. We also used a timeline notebook thoughout (one of the suggested ongoing activities in the guide).

Our dd did Where the Brook and River Meet first. We really like it as well. It is a lot more structured, a lot less "choice" and is not arranged according to subjects, but is still a very good precursor to FAR.

I hope this has helped you some and not confused you! LOL. Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Blessings,

Denise

Even though I didn't write the original post, thank you for the information. I have been looking at FAR for several years. After downloading SWB's lectures on writing and literature analysis (loved this one -- so doable), I know that I will be using many of her ideas for those subjects, but I am not sure about history and Bible. I've also been looking at Where the Brook and River Meet for several years. It gives me encouragement to take a serious look after reading that someone has used both of these and likes them.

Bonita

I will be using Far Above Rubies with my dd starting next year. I started collecting resource books at used book sales and Paperback Swap about a year ago or more.

I may use it as written and do science as it is in the study. I don't see why that would not be good for college entry. She could study in depth, it just would not be a textbook. I suppose I might need to add labs if she is interested in pursuing a science based college degree.

I still have time to decide.

Wow, I had forgotten about this. When I didn't really get a response to the original post it just kind of fell to the side. My dd just started 9th grade 5 weeks ago, but now you have me thinking about FAR again. I will have to go back and look at it again. After hearing what you have said about it I am beginning to remember what drew me to it in the first place. Thanks so much for bringing this up again.

I used this as a resource with my oldest dd. It certainly did prepare her for college...which she graduted from 2 years ago. DD # 1 did research based science without textbooks as she did not go into a science related field, it was more than enough...and interesting and fun for her. She loved it!

DD #2 used more text books and Apologia Sciences, but we were still able to enjoy FAR.

I sold my copy years ago and now I am kicking myself. I think I have to repurchase now for my 7th grade dd.....Oh well....LOl.

~~Faithe

ETA: I did not use this as written. I used it as a resource along with many other resources including the WTM and Ambleside Onlineplus lots of booklists etc. to write plans that were very individualistic for my own dd's. I found FAR a fantastic resource which helped me tie all my resources together.

Edited by Mommyfaithe

I have the older edition. A friend got the newer Cd edition. I am not sure about differences other than the newer one recommends some different resources. Perhaps because some of the books in the other one are out of print or hard to find.

I have had no trouble finding many resources through Paperback Swap and used book sales. :)

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 1995 edition and the 2002 (???) or current edition other than the current ed. is on a CD and not available pre printed? Are there any content differences?

The older edition was written with Robin Sampson Scarlotta (or the other way?) from Heart of Wisdom. I am not sure about the whole story and don't want to gossip or pass on false tidbits which I gathered going back about 10 years...but there was some kind of fallout and Lynda Coates got the rights to FAR and Robin Sampson started Heart of Wisdom.

~~Faithe

Does anyone know if the FAR website is active, and if Lynda Coates is still selling FAR? I tried to email but have not received a reply as yet.

Bonita

I believe she had sold it (or had given over the day-to-day business operations of it) to another company or family, who now sells it in CD form.

http://www.homeschoolradioshows.com/FarAboveRubies/

Edited by Blueridge

Even though I didn't write the original post, thank you for the information. I have been looking at FAR for several years. After downloading SWB's lectures on writing and literature analysis (loved this one -- so doable), I know that I will be using many of her ideas for those subjects, but I am not sure about history and Bible. I've also been looking at Where the Brook and River Meet for several years. It gives me encouragement to take a serious look after reading that someone has used both of these and likes them.

Bonita

You're welcome, bonita! Finally made it back to these posts :) I pray FAR blesses you and your dd(s?).

Blessings,

Denise

When I spoke to my 12dd about this program this morning, tears were coming to her eyes from excitement! I found a used volume at Amazon and ordered it. :) Thank you for this, as I have been struggling with her high school plans for weeks with no relief. Blessings~

AWWWW........that is so wonderful!

I pray God blesses you and your dd through FAR!! :Angel_anim:

Denise

Wow, I had forgotten about this. When I didn't really get a response to the original post it just kind of fell to the side. My dd just started 9th grade 5 weeks ago, but now you have me thinking about FAR again. I will have to go back and look at it again. After hearing what you have said about it I am beginning to remember what drew me to it in the first place. Thanks so much for bringing this up again.

You're very welcome :o)

Blessings,

Denise

Katie,

Do you have a link for the yahoo group? A friend loaned me an older edition of FAR, and I plan to buy it. Even if we don't use it as our main curriculum, though it covers everything including 4-year history cycle, FAR is a resource I want on the shelf.

Bonita

Katie,

Do you have a link for the yahoo group? A friend loaned me an older edition of FAR, and I plan to buy it. Even if we don't use it as our main curriculum, though it covers everything including 4-year history cycle, FAR is a resource I want on the shelf.

Bonita

Sure! Here it is. There are some good files here, too. It helped me to be able to "see" more what FAR is like before we decided to buy it. I am now anxiously awaiting my copy to be delivered (it should be here any day!). I cant wait to get it and get started! I'm so excited!!! (oh, my daughter is also excited about it )

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Far-Blessed/