Menu

Question about SATs

Our son, 17, is technically a senior this year, but he has been working a lot with Dad since he was in high school, so will actually graduate a little late. He has English to finish up, British History, computer literacy, and Military History, but with he will not finish until the end of Winter 2008/9.

He has saved up enough money for college (local community college for two years and local 4-year college for two years as a transfer student). Going out of state for college is not something he is interested in. He does not know for sure if he plans to attend college yet or start his own business. We have tried to keep both options open.

He did not take SATs, and though I know they are not required for community college, my husband JUST announced that he would like him to take them. Is it possible to take them late?

I believe that most seniors take them in the fall of their senior year so they have numbers to share with colleges as they pursue their options during their senior year. Which college is the right one for them, can they get any scholarships, etc...

If your son already knows what he wants to do, that's great! It sounds like you are all set with his college decisions.

But I agree with your husband. He should still take the test. That way he'll have his "numbers" even if his plans change. As Kathleen mentioned, he can take the test on either of the dates still available this year. If he wants to improve his score, he could also re-take it in the fall since he is still finishing up high school. I would pick up a test-prep book as soon as you can and have him start familiarizing himself with the format of the test.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

One more thought on SAT's. SAT scores can take the place of placement test at the cc. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know if the kids score high enough they can skip Eng. 101 and/or be placed directly in Calculus. You can probably find the numbers for your son's cc online.

One more thought on SAT's. SAT scores can take the place of placement test at the cc. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I know if the kids score high enough they can skip Eng. 101 and/or be placed directly in Calculus. You can probably find the numbers for your son's cc online.
Depends on the cc. Ours does not use SAT or ACT scores for placement. They use only the COMPASS/ASSET test for placement (though this test is published by the ACT).