Menu

Hi There,

So, I'm totally covered until 7th grade. BUT, then I'm really nervous; I was thinking that we would do Classical Conversations for 7th-12th. I already know that we would need to add some lessons in different areas to complete what I want her to know by the end of High School, but now I'm not even sure that we'll have a complete Challenge program for quite a few years.

I'm not concerned about Math, so it's all the rest that I'm thinking about. Mostly history and subjects that it's nice to have a group for.

I'd love to hear any programs that seem to flow nicely from 7th-at least 10th, but preferably 12th.

We are a Christian family, but I am open to looking at any curriculum. I don't really want to do a pop in for what subjects you want to take method. I really want a 1-2 day a week program.

Anyone have a program (or belong to something) they think is great?

Thanks!

Carrie :bigear:

Carrie,

We are loving Omnibus and it is a good follow on to CC as it builds on the VP cards, and continues with a 3 year cycle. Omnibus potentially covers history, theology and literature each year.

I would continue using IEW- we are, even though my kids have done it for years.. Omnibus has a lot of writing assignments but not writing instruction and it's just too important to hope that you student is accomplished in writing. IEW has developed some wonderful high school theme based books that are easy to implement, esp. as you'll have a solid understanding of it.

Science- we've used Apologia and been (mostly) happy with it. There are a lot of science threads on this board to search.

We are also involved in a co-op and doing additional courses that I can't fit in at home such as poetry, Shakespeare, presentations, speech, drama and next year Art and Music Appreciation.

I would also add in TeenPact as soon as your student is old enough. They will learn so much more than government, such as leadership, speech, presentation, etc. It's a wonderful enforcement of all that you are already doing with like-minded families throughout your state.

All the best.

Our co-op doesn't have standard classes between 7th and 12th. From year to year, we offer those classes that the students need and the parents want to teach. Our favorites so far have been:

Logic

IEW (and if we did writing every year, I'd use other materials as the kids progressed in their writing)

Shakespeare in the Spring (the jr/sr highers study and perform one Shakespeare each year; that's 7 plays they've studied in depth by the time they graduate)

I'd like to see a science progression, but we've put together outside classes for this.

HTH,

Lisa