Menu

Teaching Brazilian Portuguese...advice please

I'm going to start teaching Brazilian Portuguese to my kids...I don't know the lanugage...I only know a little Spanish and English is my first language. We are contemplating long-term missions so my long term goal would be that they (and dh and I) are fluent and could easily converse with native speakers. My kids are 2.5, 5, and almost 8. WE're starting them off with something fun and simple-- Talk Now! software, Bilingual Baby DVD, and Milet's flashcards. I also borrowed a library cd of Brazilian kids songs. I plan to make phonogram cards to learn the letter sounds so they can sound out unfamiliar words.

What do you suggest to supplement and cement learning? DVD's, workbooks, etc...anything! I want it to be fun, but I want it to be learning that sticks too!

:bigear:

I'm going to start teaching Brazilian Portuguese to my kids...I don't know the lanugage...I only know a little Spanish and English is my first language. We are contemplating long-term missions so my long term goal would be that they (and dh and I) are fluent and could easily converse with native speakers. My kids are 2.5, 5, and almost 8. WE're starting them off with something fun and simple-- Talk Now! software, Bilingual Baby DVD, and Milet's flashcards. I also borrowed a library cd of Brazilian kids songs. I plan to make phonogram cards to learn the letter sounds so they can sound out unfamiliar words.

What do you suggest to supplement and cement learning? DVD's, workbooks, etc...anything! I want it to be fun, but I want it to be learning that sticks too!

:bigear:

Wow! Great start!

We'll be using Learnable wordless books but it works for us bc dh and I speak Portuguese. Music is a great idea bc it not only introduces them to the language but also culture. Is there any way to find a Brazilian exchange student that could help? Brazilians usually love kids.

My dc love Monica DVDs. Family in Brazil send them to us. Monica is a popular Brazilian cartoon series. Avenida Brasil is a great adult curriculum.

If you get stuck on a phrase or word, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions! I wish I could understand the descriptions of the Monica videos....as well as the price! LOL

I've been trying to find a good chart of the alphabet...to letter names and also letter sounds...all the ones I find are confusing! Can you recommend one? I'd like them to learn to read from phonics just like they are/did in English.