Menu

Is there a Comp program which really helps *organize* the writing?

My children are very good at writing in terms of their style--IEW is just like candy for them but they already do those things naturally. We are now using a Progym course, but, while they enjoy it and do well at it, their other writing is not really improving. They need to see how to structure their "free" writing (not the writing that they are doing "from" something someone else already wrote).

Is there anything that addresses that type of problem?

Even when they need it GRIN.

Writing Strands works on organization. Or Format Writing (quick and ugly LOL). Powerful Paragraphs (a book, not a curriculum) explains how to organize various types of paragraphs.

-Nan

These look like exactly what I need.

If you saw their papers! Lovely sentences, rambling paragraphs! I can tell them what to do, but I can't really show them what to do, or maybe vice versa... I can say, what you need to do here is to write something like this, and then they will write pretty much what I said, or I can tell them, you need an easier transition here, or you're giving the information in the wrong order, and they just get frustrated.

It's the weirdest thing! Writing Strands drove us all bonkers, but the Format Writing and Powerful Paragraphs look just about write ;) Thanks so much!

Every type of writing has its own type of organization. What types of writing are you referring to?

In using IEW, did you use the elements of structure? I've found they are pretty decent for organization.

They kind of get the idea of structure in their reading, but it falls apart with their writing. I seriously have to continually rein them in; I told my oldest to write an outline, figure out how much space to dedicate to each part, told her how many pages to write, and she wrote 3/5 pages just for the introductory part before she realized what she was doing. My next oldest is very consistently jumbled--I can't get him to understand the need for writing in a more linear fashion, so that's really tricky.

I can see now that they need some input that's not from me on this. Thanks so much!