Menu

TOG Discussion group suggestions, please!

Tapestry of Grace (TOG) has and will continue to be my educational bedrock in educating my two teenagers. Each Friday my teens' weekly studies culminate during literature and history discussions. As of late, several teens from other home school families have joined in our history discussion. Opening up discussion with new students has certainly brought positive changes, but challenges too. Their families do not utlize TOG at home. I find myself educating the moms about TOG along with their children. The new teens chime in well and try their best reading books and preparing for a weekly discussion format. Does anyone out there have experience with leading a history discussion (TOG material) when some of the students are not TOG followers? Granted, the kids just started attending (year 1, unit 3) leaving little time to digest this new way of learning history. If these students participated in my home discussion group next fall how would you suggest handling all the reading material when TOG is not used in their homes? Many of our books are available in the local library system, but probably not for several families. I generally do not assign traditional history text books with my teens, favoring real books instead. Teaching to a larger group I am wondering if following along with a text makes more sense, of course this goes against my view on learning history. TOG certainly shines in a small group discussion forum. I am just not sure how the families will handle the weekly book lists, especially if they do not use TOG in their homes. Suggestions? Thank you!

Oh, thank you for picking up my thread! Yes, I give all the students the TOG student pages (rhetoric questions for the history portion) and request them to write down books (page numbers) to read. Tapestry is my foundation to teach my two teens along with several others. Probably, because the new students joined me mid-stream they are a bit overwhelmed, which is certainly understandable. The students enjoy reading and answering Thinking Questions from TOG during the week and then discussing with me on Fridays (my own children are very comfortable with this independence - less interference from mom). What troubles me is that the two moms do not own TOG material, thus are not able to plan ahead when obtaining books. Since my home studies will conclude late May I doubt my mom friends want to invest in TOG, year one (although, they have tried to find used material to purchase or borrow). If they plan to continue in my discussion group in the fall I believe they really need to own TOG, year 2 to help support their children's reading needs.

I just wonder how other TOG moms have handled small group discussions that include students who do not follow TOG at home. TOG, Year 1 includes fantastic reading from the Bible paralleling with ancient civilizations, but often some of the book recommendations are not available in my local library, being Christian related. Fortunately, the moms have purchased several titles for their teens to read while attending my discussion group. It is just challenging to keep the moms up-to-date with the reading assignments for their teens.

Have you led a history discussion for your children and others as well?

THANK YOU!

Right now you are violating copyright because you only have the right to make copies for your immediate family. Lampstand Press sells (used to sell? I'm not sure if they still do) licenses for the various components of TOG. I can't remember the price, something like $25 per student per component. That aside, if the other moms don't want to implement TOG at home I think what you're trying to do will be an exercise in futility. If the students don't have the books, and Year 2 is even more expensive book-wise, you and your sons will be doing all the talking.

I lead a weekly discussion of rhetoric and dialectic students, but I require everyone to own TOG. I also require everyone to do the work, although right now I have one student that doesn't and it's frustrating- I'm sure he's frustrated too. I wouldn't want to sit in a room with a group of my peers having a discussion, debating points, making connections and not have a clue.

Bottom line is you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. If the other moms aren't willing to use TOG I really don't see it working out. Sorry I couldn't be more encouraging.