Menu

Houston, We Have a Problem

joannqn

I just received, today, the second level of Michael Clay Thompson's language arts (ie. Grammar Town, Caesar's English, etc.) In reading the teacher's notes in the back of Caesar's English, I realized that we might have a problem...

It talks about how the stems lessons (every odd lesson) should be read aloud because they are very advanced for elementary students and their initial introduction to these words, author's names, etc. should be correct. They don't want them to get into the habit of mispronouncing them.

Here's the problem...I don't know how to pronounce some of these words and names. I never received an education at this level despite being in the "gifted" program and in advanced/honors/AP classes. This language arts program has me feeling out of my league and we're only at the 4th grade!

I've already told her that I'd be going through her grammar and writing books with her simply because I don't know the information and want to learn it. But how do I help with things like pronunciation? I have a tendency to mispronounce words, putting emphasis on the wrong syllables, not knowing wither a word is a hard or soft g or c, etc.

My online phonics lessons followed by Webster's Speller.

My lessons teach all the soft/hard sounds, and things rules for things like that.

Webster's Speller, once you've learned all those rules, shows which syllables are accented, naturally leading you to a correct pronunciation.

Your oldest two could learn some things, too, if they do this along with you.

Thanks! I'll look at them.

Reading further, it talks about how authors that aren't usually read until middle school, high school, and college are mentioned and that it would be good for the teacher show enthusiasm and perhaps share what their favorite works by these authors are. Ummmm...what if you haven't read most of them?

Gee! What did my school teach me? Anything?

At least I'm learning and reading classics now, right? That's got to count for something!