Menu

s/o of GB ? on tuition cost -- the admissions process?

Okay, I just want to be sure I understand this... oldest ds is a freshman this year, so I guess before I blink a few times, the time will be upon me to be doing this admission thing!

The way I seem to understand it is this... you can apply to whatever college/university you like, public or private, so long as you meet their minimum entrance requirements (which will understandably vary by institution) and pay whatever application processing fee stipulated.

Next, if you are accepted, that acceptance will either come with a financial aid (ie, scholarship) package detailed, or you go through the financial aid department to figure out what that place would cost you to attend.

Then, you make your choice.

Is that it in a nutshell? Do you really pursue all that you consider viable options, then wait to hear back, and then make your decision? It seems clear enough, but I would love to hear about loopholes or other things to consider in the course of the application process. Can anyone recommend a concise, hold-my-hand, step-by-step book to help me understand and strategize effectively?

Is that it in a nutshell? Do you really pursue all that you consider viable options, then wait to hear back, and then make your decision? It seems clear enough, but I would love to hear about loopholes or other things to consider in the course of the application process. Can anyone recommend a concise, hold-my-hand, step-by-step book to help me understand and strategize effectively?

I think you have the basic process correct. You look for schools that would be a good fit for your student depending upon desired location, majors, and costs. You make sure that the student's academic program meets the requirements of the schools he want to apply to. You make sure that he's taken any entrance exams they require. Then they apply when they are seniors.

Here is one book that I liked that talks about the Financial Aid process:

Don't miss out the ambitious student's guide to financial aid

by Anna Leider and Robert Leider

If money is a concern, there are formulas in the "Don't Miss Out" book that will help you calculate your family's EFC (Expected Family Contribution). This is the amount the colleges will expect you to pay toward your child's education. Knowing this number can help you to figure out which schools you can afford.

Here is another book that discusses some "tricks" to help you make your student look the best he can during the application process. The author takes a bit of a cut-throat philosophy in some parts, which I don't agree with, but there some good advice to be had in this book:

What Colleges Don't Tell You (And Other Parents Don't Want You to Know): 272 Secrets for Getting Your Kid into the Top Schools (Paperback)

by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross (Author)

One other resource is a message board about college applications:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/

HTH,

Brenda

About merit aid --

Some schools offer lots of merit aid in small amounts.

Some schools offer a few merit scholarships but of LARGE amounts.

If your child might be a likely candidate for merit aid, do find out what the merit aid consists of.

There is nothing so heartbreaking as realizing that your child received the top merit aid amount available but still can't go to the school!

Okay, I just want to be sure I understand this... oldest ds is a freshman this year, so I guess before I blink a few times, the time will be upon me to be doing this admission thing!

The way I seem to understand it is this... you can apply to whatever college/university you like, public or private, so long as you meet their minimum entrance requirements (which will understandably vary by institution) and pay whatever application processing fee stipulated.

Next, if you are accepted, that acceptance will either come with a financial aid (ie, scholarship) package detailed, or you go through the financial aid department to figure out what that place would cost you to attend.

Then, you make your choice.

You've pretty much got it. Word about grants/scholarships are usually in the envelope, but not necessarily. The schools will send information to you about the different loans available and which banks they use for their loans.

It's a good idea to pick a "safety school" - one you know your child will get into without a problem. That way, if no other acceptances are forthcoming, at least your child can go somewhere. It's also a not a bad idea to try to get admitted to a more competitive school, even if your dc doesn't quite meet the SAT/grade criteria. Colleges take extra-curricular activities and anything "different" very seriously and will often admit a student based on these things as well as grades/scores.

I suggest having your child interview at any schools he's interested in, although we found that at many schools the interview was not required (it can't hurt!).

I had my twins write their application essays early in the fall. Many schools use the common application (google it and you can print it and see the actual essays), so essays for that one can be tweaked for each school. You can also download applications from individual schools that don't use the common application (and, those that do will often have their own supplement which adds more essays or questions) - do this early rather than late.

Some schools have a "rolling" admission policy, and others have fixed dates. Find out about that, too.

Good luck!

Ria

I haven't read the other replies but if you are looking at small liberal arts colleges they may look expensive but money is there for good students. Ds graduated from public school. He had great grades and ok SAT/ACT scores. Many colleges offered him scholarship money based soley on the combined scores and GPA. Others asked him to come for an interview and scholarship competition.

A few comments about what you stated above. A scholarship offer might arrive along with an acceptance or your child might need to fill out a separate application to compete for a scholarship. Some colleges invite finalists to their campus to compete/interview for their most prestigious scholarships.

Also, in order to receive need-based aid, a student needs to complete certain procedures which might entail a separate aid application or submitting a FAFSA or Profile as well as tax documents of both student and parents. These may have very different deadlines than the actual application. (And can be a royal pain as well!)

In addition, various colleges meet differing amounts of financial need. Some promise to meet 100 percent of need, others do not make that guarantee. Also need, as defined by the government (FAFSA) or the college (their own institutional methodology) may differ MARKEDLY from what you consider your need to be. Also need is met through three means: grants/scholarships from the college (which need not be paid back), loans (which must be repaid), and work-study. If your child wins a scholarship from a source other than the college, colleges differ in how they handle this. They may reduce the amount of grants they offer your student (not one's first choice!) or they may reduce the loan portion or reduce/eliminate the work-study portion.

All of the above is my understanding as my daughter, a senior, goes through her college application year.

Regards,

Kareni