Menu

Why does my head get all stuffed up every night?

Here it is, 8:30 at night and my head is, once again, getting completely stuffed up. It happens every night lately. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting up, walking, standing or laying in bed, it just stuffs up. I'm fine during the day. I just don't get it and it is really starting to frustrate me! If it was during the day also, I'd think it was some sort of allergy, but I just can't figure out what the deal is.

I'm so desperate, I looked up those neti pots online. I think I'm going to order one. And that proves my desperation, because those things don't look appealing in the least!

Anybody have any clue? Or other suggestions?

Are you taking any medications? There are several that you wouldn't think are in any way related that never the less cause a stuff head nose. Also any flower or plants there that bloom or open a night? Some weather pattern?

Nope, no meds. As far as weather and plants, it's all pretty much the same as last year, when I didn't have any problem. We've been running the ac, but that's been off and on all winter. That's why it's all so frustrating.

No idea. Mine stuffs up while I'm sleeping recently, but it doesn't just randomly start as the sun goes down.

And I DO find that using my neti pot as part of my morning / evening routine helps immensely. I got it as an act of desperation a few years ago but it turns out, I really like it.:001_smile:

Maybe you need a new pillow. A hypoallergenic pillow. Maybe there is dust under your bed that needs to be cleaned. This is NOT a comment on your housekeeping skills, it is because when I moved my bed I was AMAZED at the dust that had collected there. I cleaned it. I vacuumed my mattress and bought all new hypoallergenic pillows. I'm doing better now, but I know when the good weather hits and dh wants to sleep with open windows I'll get stuffy again.

I have the same problem, but only occassionally. I wouldn't think a cold virus would know the time of day, but that's just what it's like. Maybe your body hits a certain limit around 8:30 every night and if there's a virus residing there, it starts to rear its ugly head?

I have no idea, but I'll be watching this thread.

Maybe you need a new pillow. A hypoallergenic pillow. Maybe there is dust under your bed that needs to be cleaned. This is NOT a comment on your housekeeping skills, it is because when I moved my bed I was AMAZED at the dust that had collected there. I cleaned it. I vacuumed my mattress and bought all new hypoallergenic pillows. I'm doing better now, but I know when the good weather hits and dh wants to sleep with open windows I'll get stuffy again.

Nope. Doesn't matter if I'm in thebedroom, living room, the kitchen or last week in Tokyo. It just only comes on in the evening. Not always 8:30, just in the the evening. It's just gotten plain wierd now.

My allergist had me do all the standard things (wrap the bed, get new pillows, wrap THEM, wash all of the curtains, ditch the throw rugs, etc.)

And then he told me to wash my hair.

Huh?

Sure enough. I have to wash (or at least thoroughly rinse) my hair every evening. Think about it: it is like wearing a duster on your head all day - it picks up stuff from your clothes, the air, cooking, anything you bump into - when you rinse it out, it keeps stuff from getting to your respiratory tract.

(it is worse if you use hair products, as they attract stuff)

Just my .02

asta

A couple of things I do to help.

Put a few drops of eucalyptic (sp?) oil in a humidifier or old crockpot, which is what I use. Put it in the kitchen and turn it on a little before you begin to stop up. This helps my symptoms.

My allergist always told us to take our 24 hour allergy medicine in the evening because that is when allergens are at their highest level. Not sure why but your post made me remember that.

I think you will love a Neti pot. I thought the whole idea was nasty as well but now we own three. Seeing is believing.