Menu

How do you handle the intensity?

squirtymomma

I've recently realized that my oldest has been more difficult for me to parent not just because she's my guinea pig, but because she has a much more intense personality than my second. I'm trying to figure out how to phrase this without using the word gifted because last time I used it, it began a discussion speculating whether or not she was truly gifted. Frankly, whether she's gifted or not does not threaten my identity nor my view of my child, so please don't get hung up on that word. Suffice it to say that she has an insatiable need to know... everything. The questions never stop. I'm teaching her to read, but she hasn't taken off yet. I sort-of hoped she might be able to start finding some of her answers from books. I'm not sure that she'll be a big reader, though because she also has an insatiable need to move. My sister is a pediatric OT, and she agrees that she has some high sensory needs... gross motor being the biggest need. She's in a gymnastics class and has very quickly excelled... at 3 years old. Even in class, she's the one that's still hopping up and down between activities or hanging upside down from the bars until the teachers call her down. If I could send her to a gym class daily, I would, but even the one class is pretty pricey.

A couple of other examples of her intensity: when she wakes up from naps, she almost always wakes up sobbing uncontrollably. Anytime she wakes up during the night, it tends to be the same story. It takes her awhile to recover.

Recently, my IL's took her to see a 3D IMAX movie about oceans. The noise and the realism scared her a bit (understandably). She sat in my MIL's lap the whole time, and took her glasses off a lot. But, she repeated, word for word, everything the narrator said.

I could give many more examples, but hopefully this gives a good picture. Part of my problem, I'm sure, is that I have an intense personality as well and have a hard enough time managing my own thoughts, curiosities and emotions. I'm also an introvert. Sometimes I just feel like I need to hide from this little 3 year old who won't let me alone. I love her, and I think she's so fun and interesting. I don't want her to see her intensity as a bad thing. How do I encourage her to be who she is while creating some good boundaries for myself... especially as I look towards homeschooling her?

And how can I give her experiences outside of me that satisfy her needs (and don't cost $$)?

I found a lot of information in the SENG book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children by James Webb. It is not out of print you can get it from the SENG site. I am sure you will find many ideas and also a breath of fresh air from all the great stuff in that book.

I also was helped greatly by attending a SENG parents group.

Of lesser help but very interesting was another book by Webb et al "Misdiagnosis and DUal Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults". I realized I know a number of gifted adults that I thought were just intense, difficult people to be around. I see them in a new light now, a better light.

HTH.

It's frankly exhausting and I have to recharge at the end of every day and start the morning anew.

Becca is extremely intense, highly active, asks tons of questions... living with her is like the "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" books. She does one thing, then look! another, then ooh, how about this... And it doesn't stop until she finally goes to sleep at night.

She started gymnastics at age 3 as well and is up to 2 classes a week in the Hot Shots class. She's very driven to perfect skills and learn the next thing. She practices constantly at home and literally spends half the day upside down.

I don't know what else to tell you, because I'm still on the learning curve of figuring out how to deal with her!

No advice. I'm in the same spot! Very intense, insatiable, ACTIVE ds6. Very mellow, quiet, still ds3.

I feel like a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs most days. I love my kids and love being with them, but the constant motion and noise from ds6 makes me feel anxious.

And watch out if I take more than 1 second to answer a question or something. As I'm inhaling to speak, dh6 will cut in to say, 'Mom! I asked you something!' (Hence, the cat in the roomful of rocking chairs--if I don't move/speak fast enough-POW!)

You must buy playdoh and molds, sculpey, paints and paper , crayolas and an easel if at all posiible. I am still introducing a new art/craft form to dd now almost 13 who has explored, chinese brush painting, piano, miniature sculptures of any household object you can imagine, cross stitch , needlepoint, crochet and now knitting lace....It is cheaper than therapy for both of us , we make lovely gifts for people and we are almost 24/7 happily carving out time for our many hobbies. It is essential to develop those tactile intelligences as well in order that adolescence and puberty are survivable. I think of our shared interest in creative arts serves as a bridge when we have had a challenging week with school. If you think 3 is too young - rethink that . My mother tired of being locked out of the house, having her appliances methodically taken apart and put me in a Montessori school at 3.5 to save us both...It did work for a while then grade school years were a mess so I was left to do work independently that was appropriately challenging . Not very social but intellectually satisfying.The creative, tactile outlets might save your collective family sanity . Just my .02.:lol:

Some thoughts from my DH, who has taken over my WTM login!!

chinese brush painting, piano, miniature sculptures, ... cross stitch , needlepoint, crochet and now knitting lace. It is cheaper than therapy for both of us
:iagree:

I laughed when I read the above quote in relation to the various classes/activities that Elizabeth mentions. I'm with her in the opinion that we need to not get so stuck on the core curriculum that we don't have time for more interesting stuff. Find some activities in-between classes to spark the child's interest in a variety of ways that aren't necessarily linked to any other subject material, and not even reviewed in any recordable form (in my experience, kids hate writing!) - though as the teacher, your note-taking skills can be pushed to the limit as you struggle to keep up!

Now, I'm still open to what extra-curricular stuff to plug in, but I believe that too many worksheets are a turn-off, especially for the intense child.

:chillpill:BTW - there's nothing wrong with the term gifted. Folks on this board are intelligent enough to realize there's more to the term than academic achievement. May I recommend the book "Parenting Gifted Kids", James R Delisle, 2006.

As for the incessant questions - see if you can capture them on pen + paper... take the list with you to the library, and recruit the help of the librarian as your child goes on a voyage of discovery. Obviously your dd could feel overwhelmed if presented with the Encyclopedia Britannica, but DK Eyewitness (books and DVDs) has a remarkable way of opening up the world!

I found a lot of information in the SENG book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children by James Webb. It is not out of print you can get it from the SENG site. I am sure you will find many ideas and also a breath of fresh air from all the great stuff in that book.

Thank you for this suggestion! My library even has it... hooray!

She started gymnastics at age 3 as well and is up to 2 classes a week in the Hot Shots class. She's very driven to perfect skills and learn the next thing. She practices constantly at home and literally spends half the day upside down.

Did you take my child?!? :tongue_smilie: This is mine too. I worry that her teachers think I'm pushing her to practice, but really, it's all she wants to do!

I feel like a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs most days.

It's good to know I'm not alone!

The creative, tactile outlets might save your collective family sanity

Your story is great... thank you. She does love crafty things. Unfortunately, I do not, so I'm always dragging my feet to do them with her. But, we do have good homemade playdoh always available. And I have paints, crayons, markers, easel, etc., it's just a matter of using them. We also are into our second Kumon craft book, which is easy for me. She does love music as well. That is something we do together because I teach Musikgarten classes for her age group that she attends.

Do you have any specific handicrafts that I could start with her at this age? I'd love to know of any. I have started involving her more in chores (which she often asks to do) and cooking.

As for the incessant questions - see if you can capture them on pen + paper... take the list with you to the library, and recruit the help of the librarian as your child goes on a voyage of discovery. Obviously your dd could feel overwhelmed if presented with the Encyclopedia Britannica, but DK Eyewitness (books and DVDs) has a remarkable way of opening up the world!

Yes, I have begun doing this to some extent. Actually, I began by looking at what kinds of sciencey topics are actually covered in picture books. We did a month of books about the human body. Now, since my IL's got us a membership to the aquarium, we've got a stack of books about oceans and fish. She's fascinated by divers, but unfortunately, there's not much at her level about them. I've gotten what I can find, and she soaks a ton up. When something in particular comes up, I've gotten books about those topics as well. Like, we recently began getting milk delivery, so we got a book called "Milk: from Cow to Carton" (or something like that). I really appreciate the "Let's Read and Find Out" series of science books for preschoolers... they cover tons of stuff and are good quality. I also get the usborne/dk type books for her to look at the pictures (the format makes me nuts!).

Your encouragement to keep her in extra-curricular-type activities is helpful as well. I can see how that will be necessary to keep a very tactile kid satisfied.

Your dd sounds like a combination of both of mine! My oldest is very intense and wants to be learning from and interacting with me all.day.long. My youngest is much more laid back on the interaction, but needs a lot of gross motor activity to keep her from climbing the walls. She is in gymnastics too and is way ahead of the class - by the time she was two she was doing sit-stands (I have no idea what the correct term is for these, you know, when they jump and sit on their bum and then pop up back onto their feet - hopefully you know what I'm talking about) while the other kids in the class were still learning how to get their feet off the ground. I wish I could afford gymnastics every day, it really makes a difference but it's so expensive!

Do you have a park nearby or access to a swing? The motion can really help kids with sensory integration issues. My dd2 goes to therapy once a week now and the first thing they do is put her in the swing for at least 10 minutes; it calms her down/organizes her sensory system enough so that she is able to concentrate on seat work, etc. much more easily.

My oldest dd has the same problems with waking up crying, etc. She wants to do everything herself or help me with whatever I'm doing. She's actually become quite the little laundry folder. :lol: She is also literally on top of me with questions all day. It is hard to get any peace!! She needs to know what the plans are for the entire day as soon as she wakes up. Even so, she is constantly asking me "what do you have for me to do NOW, mommy?" I have found that now that she's older and she's getting more one-on-one time with me while we do school that she is doing a little better....but it's still a struggle. It's also nice - now that she's older and is playing well with kids her own age, I can invite a friend over for her to play with and then she can get some of her interaction needs met with someone other than me.

Sorry for the rambly post....I hope something in there is useful for you! If not, at least know that you aren't alone. :001_smile:

All I can tell you is that the intensity that drove me NUTS years ago is now one of the neatest things about my dd!!!

A couple of weeks ago, she found an old copy of Fahrenheit 451 while she was volunteering at the local Mobile Mall. She spent that night at grandma's and called me at 10:30pm to tell me that, "OH MY GOSH MOM, I just finished this AMAZING book, and now I want to talk about it!!" :lol: It sent her off on a dystopian fiction rabbit trail, reading every dystopian book and short story she can get her hands on and insisting that I go through Netflix and pull out dystopian movies she can watch. We've talked about books like 1984 and Brave New World, watched lectures on the topics, and she actually teased me the other day when I was worried about being late to an appointment that the Ticktockman was going to wipe my cardio card (a reference to a famous short story by Harlan Ellison.) She's been working on a totally self-directed lapbook with typed essays inside mini-books on things like the character of the hive leader in "I Am Legend." As these rabbit trails roll in, I tend to let the other school work slide. She's still doing all the reading, writing and synthesizing that she does in her regular work, but on her own terms.

My point is that she is JUST as intense as always, but it's somehow easier now that she's older, because it's so self-directed. I just facilitate, and she channels the intensity. There are times when she still exhausts me (like when she wants to talk about literature at 10:30pm!) but overall, it's definitely easier now that she's older, and she's really turning into one of the coolest people I know. :D

I know it's hard when they're younger, but it gets REALLY, REALLY neat when they're older!

lovelearnandlive - That's interesting! I'm not sure if it's easier to have 2 differently intense kids, or to have all of that intensity wrapped up in one! I know swinging would help my girl. We had swings at our old house (we moved across country last Sept). Maybe we can figure out how to get some up here once the weather starts getting nicer. I've also considered an indoor trampoline for her.

I know it's hard when they're younger, but it gets REALLY, REALLY neat when they're older!

Very cool! I'm looking forward to getting her to the place where she can investigate and explore for herself. This is part of the reason I would love to homeschool all the way through highschool... so I can enjoy all of these conversations with my kids when they hit that stage.

At age 3, two of my dc woke up hysterical from the long naps they needed. It made for a hard late afternoon and evening. Finally, we just ended the naps. We let them sleep longer in the morning and put them to bed earlier at night. Their moods the rest of the day improved significantly. Just a thought for you....

All I can tell you is that the intensity that drove me NUTS years ago is now one of the neatest things about my dd!!!

A couple of weeks ago, she found an old copy of Fahrenheit 451 while she was volunteering at the local Mobile Mall. She spent that night at grandma's and called me at 10:30pm to tell me that, "OH MY GOSH MOM, I just finished this AMAZING book, and now I want to talk about it!!" :lol: It sent her off on a dystopian fiction rabbit trail, reading every dystopian book and short story she can get her hands on and insisting that I go through Netflix and pull out dystopian movies she can watch. We've talked about books like 1984 and Brave New World, watched lectures on the topics, and she actually teased me the other day when I was worried about being late to an appointment that the Ticktockman was going to wipe my cardio card (a reference to a famous short story by Harlan Ellison.) She's been working on a totally self-directed lapbook with typed essays inside mini-books on things like the character of the hive leader in "I Am Legend." As these rabbit trails roll in, I tend to let the other school work slide. She's still doing all the reading, writing and synthesizing that she does in her regular work, but on her own terms.

My point is that she is JUST as intense as always, but it's somehow easier now that she's older, because it's so self-directed. I just facilitate, and she channels the intensity. There are times when she still exhausts me (like when she wants to talk about literature at 10:30pm!) but overall, it's definitely easier now that she's older, and she's really turning into one of the coolest people I know. :D

This is very encouraging - thanks so much for posting!!

All three of mine are intense, each in their different ways. Number three is the easiest. :) The things that help the most here are to get outside, to get out of the house (shopping, activities, playdates, etc.), to do art activities, and to have them help around the house. I noticed that you said that you had a hard time getting started with arts and crafts activities. So do I! But everytime I do it is soooo very worth it.

Becca is extremely intense, highly active, asks tons of questions... living with her is like the "If You Give a Pig a Pancake" books. She does one thing, then look! another, then ooh, how about this... And it doesn't stop until she finally goes to sleep at night.

LOL. This sounds like my oldest. The hardest thing of all to handle for me though is that she never ever ever stops talking unless she is sleeping (and even then she sometimes talks in her sleep).

At age 3, two of my dc woke up hysterical from the long naps they needed. It made for a hard late afternoon and evening. Finally, we just ended the naps. We let them sleep longer in the morning and put them to bed earlier at night. Their moods the rest of the day improved significantly. Just a thought for you....

Yes, she doesn't nap most of the time now. She does have a rest time, though, where I let her play quietly with books and toys. Sometimes she decides on her own that she wants to sleep and crawls under the covers.

The things that help the most here are to get outside, to get out of the house (shopping, activities, playdates, etc.), to do art activities, and to have them help around the house. I noticed that you said that you had a hard time getting started with arts and crafts activities. So do I! But everytime I do it is soooo very worth it.

Time outside is definitely good. We've just moved to the Pacific Northwest from Texas (where I had lived all my life), so I'm still trying to figure out how to do that in the cold/wet season. I got good rain jackets, pants, and boots for both girls, and we try to at least take a walk (the 3 year old runs) even when it's raining. I have to be careful with doing too many things in the activities/playdates/shopping category, though, because I get worn out and grouchy.

While it was interesting watching my daughter's thought processes, I was glad when she finally got to the point when she could think silently and wasn't thinking aloud all the time. I don't remember exactly when that happened, though!

She's still pretty intense, but she's quieter! She is usually a joy to be around now, and very helpful with her little brother. (Although she does have her moments.)

Have you tried looking for YMCA or rec league type gymnastics? Usually that's much cheaper.

When the weather is bad, I try to find inside games that wear them out without wearing me out. My husband has a favorite one where he throws medium sized couch pillows at them as they run away, then they pick them up and run them back to you to throw again. I'm a poor throw, so I can't do this one as well, but he's great at this game, and it uses up energy for them and is easy on you. I play "Momma's gonna get you," where I run after them saying, "Momma's gonna get you." If you're tricky, you can make them run a lot more than you while chasing after them. My 3 year old will play fetch with a ball for a long time.

Intensity, boy do I hear everyone. Some days I feel like I am running answering questions. The library seems to be the one place we can go where things quiet down for "all questions can be answered." We started a list of questions in a notebook which I would refer to, research and then answer as well. It is a great keepsake. My kids do a lot of play acting (creating their own plays) and crafts. I do envy those parents who have kids that will work on legos for hrs.

Do you have any specific handicrafts that I could start with her at this age? I'd love to know of any. I have started involving her more in chores (which she often asks to do) and cooking.

I have 4 very active little ones who are at times too intense. Some things we do to help them to calm, and focus are:

1. Buckets of sand to build. In the winter we keep moon sand in the sun-room, which makes it less pliable, I give them tiny shovels (toothpick sized) to dig out treasures. Also just building things with molds.

2. We have thousands of Lego's in various sizes to build Lego cities. This is especially helpful when they are close to a meltdown.

3. I have plastic boxes with beans, rice, puff balls, and several other sensory items (for my SPD child) which all the children both enjoy and are calmed by.

4. A personal trampoline has been my lifesaver... it was well worth the $100 we spent.

5. We make obstacle courses in the winter months for them to maneuver through to release the pint up energy.

6. We do finger and brush painting, body art, shaving cream art, snow art (painting in snow with water bottles filled with colored water) and snow sculptures.

Some Crafts we do:

1. We do beading twice a week -

I started the children out with large wooden beads and shoe laces

(I put them in a plastic box with a lid for easy storage).

When they've mastered those, I use the foam beads that you can

get at the dollar tree for a buck.

Then we use the small three pronged beads with the thicker string.

Around the same time we start with an easy sowing kit...

with the plastic or blunted needles and a plastic shapes

that you weave the thread through.

2. We do wire art once a week -

I start with the strong gauge wire and move them down to thin

wire as their skills develop. We go for nature walks and find small

interesting items to incorporate into our art. At three she may or

may not be able to cut the wire herself, but never unattended as

some of the tools can be sharp.

3. We do shrink art once a week -

You can buy these at Walmart or Kmart fairly reasonably

4. We do sculpting with clay once or twice a week -

This isn't the same as play dough art, we use hard sculpting clay and

tools to strengthen their pincer muscles

(two of mine have pincer issues)

I hope some of these ideas will help you in your pursuit of sanity ;)

I just noticed that you moved from Texas to the Pacific NW.

I grew up in the Seattle area, but have lived in Texas. We also have lived in Albuquerque, NM, and Germany (among other places!) Germany has about the same climate as Seattle, and we move there right after Albuquerque. Even though I grew up in Seattle, after living in Texas and then Albuquerque (where it rains a few times a year!), I had gotten in the habit of not going out if it rained.

The Germans, like people who grew up in Seattle, go out if it's raining, or you'd almost never go out! It took me a while living in Germany before I remembered that I actually used to not care if it rained or not. I went out and bought appropriate gear and started going outside again when it rained.

Just get good pairs of rain boots and nice rain jackets with a big hood (really, this is easier to work with and deal with than an umbrella, just get a good quality rain jacket with a hood that is big enough to go over the front of you so that your face won't get wet, either.) Then, when it's raining, just go outside and go for walks, go kill slugs by putting salt on them, go jump in puddles, let the kids make dams in the mud...

Before I had kids, when I was in the Air Force and on a trip with about 40 other people, we were all caught in a rainstorm. I wore my normal jacket for varying weather but still a bit cold--a lined very good quality rain jacket that covered a lot of my pants and had a nice big hood. When we all finally got inside, someone said to me, "You don't look hardly wet at all." I replied, "I grew up in Seattle, I know about rain!"

We found karate for my ds - he is 5 and although he does tend to be very intense, he is also very independent, so he gives me a few breaks. He will often spend 20-30 minutes on craft activities by himself (and just as often wants me to do them with him, it's a toss up). But since I started homeschooling him, after a while in the house he starts to go crazy, getting under my feet and into everything. Several of his friends from the montessori school he used to go to also attend this karate school, so it serves a social function for him as well as physical activity. The activity and structure of karate has helped a lot. He goes 3-4 times a week for $85 a month, and he practices a lot at home too. We were lucky in finding such a good sensei (karate teacher), and we like him so much, I started taking the adult class too!

Tru

My youngest is the same way. My family calls him "active" (with raised eyebrows and a knowing nod). I've learned to clean up once the tornado has gone to sleep. I've learned not to hover. I've learned that some things, like my super nice tea set, were just not meant to be. I don't know if I've become apathetic, or just more relaxed :)

If it helps, you aren't alone. All I can advise is to stand back, watch the fireworks and clean-up when they're over. Get used to sharing the bathroom, it's easier than having a little one banging and screaming for the whole five minutes. Oh, and bathroom duck does a good job at getting crayon off the walls. Finally, ask yourself, do you really need Sharpies? Couldn't you just use Crayola? Sometimes they wash off... Lol...

I actually have a black belt in Taekwondo and would love for my kids to try it eventually. I hadn't thought about it recently, but I'm sure it would be good for my intense one (it was so good for my intensity!). She's still a bit young, I think, but I'll remember that for the future.

The teacher makes all the difference. I actually had a bad experience with a martial arts instructor, so I always advise parents to watch a class first to make sure you are comfortable with the teacher. Because of the nature of the martial arts, it's imperative that your sensei is trustworthy.

Out of curiosity - which style of martial arts are you learning, and what's the association is your school under?

My youngest is the same way. My family calls him "active" (with raised eyebrows and a knowing nod). I've learned to clean up once the tornado has gone to sleep. I've learned not to hover. I've learned that some things, like my super nice tea set, were just not meant to be. I don't know if I've become apathetic, or just more relaxed :)

If it helps, you aren't alone. All I can advise is to stand back, watch the fireworks and clean-up when they're over. Get used to sharing the bathroom, it's easier than having a little one banging and screaming for the whole five minutes. Oh, and bathroom duck does a good job at getting crayon off the walls. Finally, ask yourself, do you really need Sharpies? Couldn't you just use Crayola? Sometimes they wash off... Lol...

LOL. It does help to know I'm not alone, and I can definitely relate to everyone's descriptions. And yes, I'm quite accustomed to having an audience when I'm showering or using the bathroom. My girls get their smoothies, sit on the stool next to each other, and cheer me on. :lol:

LOL. It does help to know I'm not alone, and I can definitely relate to everyone's descriptions. And yes, I'm quite accustomed to having an audience when I'm showering or using the bathroom. My girls get their smoothies, sit on the stool next to each other, and cheer me on. :lol:

You made me lol :lol:

Our school is an MMA - multiple martial arts - and we study Kempo (Chinese boxing), Jujitsu (self-defense/holds/take-downs), and Arniz (Filipino stick and knife fighting). Arniz is my favorite because it matters less that I am small, and more that I am quick. Also hitting things with sticks can be a great stress reliever :)

I have only been doing it a few months, and I am testing for my orange belt later this month. (Orange is the 2nd belt in this school.)

Oh, and when ds was 4 we explained the concept of privacy to him - he picked up on it right away for himself and starting kicking us out at bath time, but it didn't seem to work the other way! I still have to remind him not to come in while I'm in the bathroom (he's 5 1/2 now), and even then he just stands right outside the door talking to me!

Tru

Edited by Truscifi

Finally, ask yourself, do you really need Sharpies? Couldn't you just use Crayola? Sometimes they wash off... Lol...

We managed to get Sharpie ink out of our polyurethane finish on our hardwood floors - lots of rubbing alcohol and lots of scrubbing. An old wool mitten was the best scrubber with the least damage to the finish. It was really quite a work of art but it had to go...

The trapeze with old mattress underneath, the rope ladder (cargo net) and the wall ladder near the mattress for jumping have helped ds this winter when it's been very cold. but overall I"m not sure we _do_ have a handle on the intensity at our house but we're getting better.

We managed to get Sharpie ink out of our polyurethane finish on our hardwood floors - lots of rubbing alcohol and lots of scrubbing. An old wool mitten was the best scrubber with the least damage to the finish. It was really quite a work of art but it had to go...

The trapeze with old mattress underneath, the rope ladder (cargo net) and the wall ladder near the mattress for jumping have helped ds this winter when it's been very cold. but overall I"m not sure we _do_ have a handle on the intensity at our house but we're getting better.

Any fixes for brushed stainless steel? Our brand-new fridge is covered with 'art.' I've given up on the dss' bedroom and their playroom. We converted to chalk and crayola, but I don't even wash it off anymore... it's just like presenting him with a fresh sheet of paper :glare:

I would love some more info on the trapeze...

Oh, and our youngest ds is covered with "tatoos" most of the time. We completely switched to crayola markers after the cat face incident. Nothing like a two-year-old with black "whiskers" for a week. After the first week, it faded and he looked like he had some strange disease, or we had been beating him about the face with super thin whips. Going out in public is always an adventure... I wonder why I'm a hermit ;)

Any fixes for brushed stainless steel? Our brand-new fridge is covered with 'art.' I've given up on the dss' bedroom and their playroom. We converted to chalk and crayola, but I don't even wash it off anymore... it's just like presenting him with a fresh sheet of paper :glare:
I use rubbing alcohol to remove Sharpie just about anywhere. It and the scrubbing can harm some finishes though so I guess that's one of those "always test on a hidden part" things.

I would love some more info on the trapeze...

Our basement is not completely finished so we were able to access the floor joists. We put a couple eye-bolts through a joist at about 3 feet apart, bought some chain and some strong carbiners that screw together - not just clip - ran the chain through a steel pipe and attached it to the eyebolts. My husband can do pull ups on it and he weighs about 180#. Our son is fairly concerned with safety so he doesn't go TOO crazy on it. THe kids that crave _more_ sensory stim, well, I don't know if it would be dangerous or not for them. I guess if there was plenty of padding around it should be ok? We also hung a cargo net from a joist and to weigh it down on the bottom, DH drilled holes through a 4"x4", attached the cargo net and then attached the 4"x4" to a 4'x4' piece of plywood. It slides around just a titch but is basically another good exercise gross motor control thing right here in our own home.

Oh, and our youngest ds is covered with "tatoos" most of the time. We completely switched to crayola markers after the cat face incident. Nothing like a two-year-old with black "whiskers" for a week. After the first week, it faded and he looked like he had some strange disease, or we had been beating him about the face with super thin whips. Going out in public is always an adventure... I wonder why I'm a hermit ;)

Our son looked more like the Joker from Batman. :)

I've recently realized that my oldest has been more difficult for me to parent not just because she's my guinea pig, but because she has a much more intense personality than my second. I'm trying to figure out how to phrase this without using the word gifted because last time I used it, it began a discussion speculating whether or not she was truly gifted. Frankly, whether she's gifted or not does not threaten my identity nor my view of my child, so please don't get hung up on that word. Suffice it to say that she has an insatiable need to know... everything. The questions never stop. I'm teaching her to read, but she hasn't taken off yet. I sort-of hoped she might be able to start finding some of her answers from books. I'm not sure that she'll be a big reader, though because she also has an insatiable need to move. My sister is a pediatric OT, and she agrees that she has some high sensory needs... gross motor being the biggest need. She's in a gymnastics class and has very quickly excelled... at 3 years old. Even in class, she's the one that's still hopping up and down between activities or hanging upside down from the bars until the teachers call her down. If I could send her to a gym class daily, I would, but even the one class is pretty pricey.

A couple of other examples of her intensity: when she wakes up from naps, she almost always wakes up sobbing uncontrollably. Anytime she wakes up during the night, it tends to be the same story. It takes her awhile to recover.

Recently, my IL's took her to see a 3D IMAX movie about oceans. The noise and the realism scared her a bit (understandably). She sat in my MIL's lap the whole time, and took her glasses off a lot. But, she repeated, word for word, everything the narrator said.

I could give many more examples, but hopefully this gives a good picture. Part of my problem, I'm sure, is that I have an intense personality as well and have a hard enough time managing my own thoughts, curiosities and emotions. I'm also an introvert. Sometimes I just feel like I need to hide from this little 3 year old who won't let me alone. I love her, and I think she's so fun and interesting. I don't want her to see her intensity as a bad thing. How do I encourage her to be who she is while creating some good boundaries for myself... especially as I look towards homeschooling her?

And how can I give her experiences outside of me that satisfy her needs (and don't cost $$)?

Take her to the park for an hour a day and let her exhaust some bigger kids. :-)