Menu

Before Schooling?

Some of you have mentioned in other posts that you utilize time before school to work with your children. I'm trying to fathom how that works out. I'm wondering specifically what time your children's school begins, what time they have to leave, and what time they have to get up/go to bed in order for that to happen.

My dd gets on the bus at 7:45-7:50 a.m. so we'd have to get her up around 6 or 6:15 :eek: in order to get anything productive done which means I'd have to get up even earlier which just isn't happening right now.

LibrarianMom

My kids catch the bus at 7:20, so we don't even try to do anything before school other than get dressed, eat breakfast, and take care of the dog. I like to read to them at the bus stop. It keeps them from fighting with each other.:o

During the first part of the year, we didn't read because we shared a bus stop with another family. They moved last month, and I have to say I am enjoying being able to read again.

Our elementary schools start at 9:00 (end at 3:00) and my kiddos can catch the bus at 8:30. If I drive them, we get an extra 15 minutes as we live close to the school.

I get myself up at 5:30, which I know sounds obnoxious but I get dressed and ready, throw in a load of laundry (per FlyLady), and enjoy a peaceful 1/2 hour to read from TWEM lists. I start getting kids up at 6:30 which gives them plenty of time to get dressed and eat so there's no stressful rush, and we start our work at 7:30.

I guess we're fortunate to have later starting schools. It works great for us.

Older DD leaves at 8. Occasionally she is ready to go by 7:45 and I can get some spelling out of her. Not all that often, though, especially lately.

DS leaves at 9:15. The public school has two starting times to allow the teachers to work individually with half the class at a time during reading time, and I chose the later starting time mostly so I could work with him before school starts. I have him ready at the same time DD is so after that he has time to do math, practice piano, and play if he gets done with time to spare.

Our situation is a bit different, as ds is doing part-time enrollment. Ds has different schedules every day, due to block period scheduling at the high school, so he leaves (he walks to the bus stop and takes the metro bus) anywhere between 9:15 and 11:45. He wakes at 8 am every day, and works for 1/2 to 2 hours daily in the am. He doesn't get home until 3:45 to 4:45, so needs to utilize that morning time. Usually that morning time is latin and latin drill with his sister. They still like to do it together, and it seems to cement the vocab for ds.

We're planning a trip to Normandy this summer, so we're trying to get a little French under our belts. I wake the kids as soon as it's light outside (7 right now,) we leave for school at 8. We usually have 15 minutes to spend on French.

After school I work SWR into dd's spelling work, and I try to do 4 lessons of Singapore math each week. We discuss history topics as they come up at school, and talk time lines. The school uses Shurley English, so I'm pretty happy there.:)