Menu

help with preschooler

Ohdanigirl

I am having a hard time getting my 4yr old to speak English, HELP. I have made it a point to speak English at home since we are in Mexico and he hears Spanish everywhere else. He understands everything I say, but insists on answering in Spanish. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I have taught him some letters in English, numbers 1-20 and the colors, but he won't say a sentence. Thinking of a structured curriculum, but not sure where to start. I didn't have this issue with my older boys, so I am not sure what I should do. Due to his age I stayed away from a preschool curriculum, but as he gets closer to 5 I wonder if a structured approach might help. What did you all do for the preschool years?

I am having a hard time getting my 4yr old to speak English, HELP.

It is not unknown, this refusal to speak, and it's not necessarily bad either. My son refused to speak his own language until he was almost 3yo. He didn't speak English till he was 7.

If you really want to insist, you could force him to speak English for treats. If he wants a cookie, he needs to ask in English. No English? No cookie. He may eventually associate treats with English and that's a good thing. Don't require English for important things though. Just stuff that won't hurt him if he keeps on refusing.

In the UK he wouldn't be a preschooler, but already in school. Thus there is lots of materials out for such young ones. That is if you really want to teach him in a structured way that early (it was tough going with one of my dds!).

If you don't mind British spelling and are interested get back to me.

I would welcome any input you have, even for the older children (8,10). I think being exposed to the differnces can be good for them. Imagine my shock the first time I met someone from Spain and couldn't understand why they spoke differently. My mother failed to mention that to me until that day, boy was I confused.:confused:

The Phonics Handbook by Sue Lloyd. (It's written for reception age children, that would be the year they turn 5)

The Oxford Reading Tree (a whole reading sceme, that goes up in stages. It's the best I've ever seen, though not that cheap and it has a very British feel about it. Not so sure this would be worth it for you.)

From the Oxford Literacy Web there are these Rhyming Stories that you can get worksheets for too (Letters, Sounds, and Rhymes, Photocopy Masters Book), those were very helpful. It would make sense to start with the Stages 1-3, Snow White Hen, Cheeky Fish,.... They were simple and we did lots of the work sheets.

Hope that is helpful,

God bless,