Menu

AP Physics B - BTDT advice needed please

OK - almost at the deadline to make a decision here. I should be contacting the high school early this week if we decide to do this (take an AP test), but I can't decide if we should go for it or not.

Ds took a Barron's practice test this morning. He took the test cold - no prep; we just opened the prep book and he took the test. He scored 66/70 right on the multiple choice section; it took him 45 minutes rather than the 90 minutes. He hasn't completed the free-response; he wanted to go do something else, so I let him. I flipped through the free response; they look a LOT harder to me - but what do I know. I thought he would bomb the multiple-choice section, so here I am thinking that I'm underestimating this kid! I plan to let him try these, but am thinking that he probably won't do as well. (If he does, I won't need any advice - he can just wing the test - but I'm guessing that this decision ISN'T going to be that easy. Nothing ever is!)

So what would you do if you were me? It would be a huge confidence booster for this kid to score a 5 on a test like this, but I'm not sure that it is necessary. (And I'm not the kind of momma who wings anything, if we decide to do this we are going to devote the time to make sure that he does well.) Anyway - the rest of the story - I will probably be signing him up for chemistry at the cc in the fall; I would like him to have that classroom/lab experience. (He is taking a high school chem class here at home this year.) He may also take an electronics class; we'll see. If things go according to plan, I would like him to take calculus and calculus-based Physics in the fall of his senior year. So in the end, he probably won't need the AP score - it would just indicate aptitude - because he wouldn't have that college physics grade until after we apply to colleges in the fall of the senior year. But I'm not really sure that matters with the college app/scholarship process - or does it?

So do we even need to take the AP Physics B exam? Should we just take the SAT II in Physics this spring? Is there ANY benefit to scoring a 5 on the AP Physics B as a high-school sophomore - especially if the child hasn't had a class - essentially he will have self-studied for the exam?

Or is it just a money/time waster?

Here's my core question: Is a great score on an SAT II in Physics good enough when applying to engineering schools - for admission and scholarship - especially if the kid goes on to get great scores in community college science classes? Should we just focus on a great SAT II score and call that great? Or would a great SAT II score and a 5 on an AP Physics B test be more impressive - and is that extra "bit" worth it?

Would you please tell me what matters here and why! :001_smile:

THANKS!

Janice

P.S. Maybe instead of over-studying to pass the AP Physics B exam, we should spend some time studying to pass a CLEP exam in American Government so we can have fewer classes in the fall - that way he would have more TIME to knock the ball out of the park in his cc chem and electronics class - not a bad idea? There are TONS of options - things that we could do with that time, so I don't want to be foolish here.

I would have him take the AP physics B exam ONLY if you want to use it to verify a mommy grade in physics -- but if he is self-studying, he must not actually be studying physics, in which case I wouldn't bother.

If he doesn't score a 5, the score might even drag down his record, and a 5 on the B exam won't do much.

Next year -- I would suggest your son take either AP physics C (if he has the math background) or AP chemistry or a chemistry of physics class at a local college to indicate proficiency. Having an outside grade from a college or an outside test score will do a lot to ensure the college folks believe he is talented in that area.

Wow, Janice, your son's multiple choice practice test result is impressive! Barron's guides tend to have the toughest practice tests, too. With that kind of performance, he is well on his way to a top score on the Physics B test.

My son was in the same position in 10th grade. He opted to just take the SAT II physics test. Our main reason for that choice (he, too, was aiming at competitive engineering schools) was that he planned to take the Physics C course in 11th grade and take the corresponding AP exams then. Also, he had two other AP exams in 10th grade - I thought that was enough. The only difference I see is that your son plans Physics C in twelfth grade, so if he wants the colleges to see a physics AP score, he needs to take it this year. Even though the B exam probably wouldn't lead to credit for an engineering major, a good score at a young age *can* help with admissions and scholarships. If this is an area of strength for him (and it certainly appears to be!) it can be a way to document it. From my discussions with college admissions reps concerning homeschooled applicants, great AP exam scores are highly regarded.

Also, the AP Report to the Nation shows that only 1.8 % of Physics B test-takers last year were in 10th grade or younger. I think this indicates that a good result would be a "wow" in terms of college applications!

Why not let him practice a few "real" Free Response problems from the College Board website and see how he does there? How does he feel about doing the exam? Does he stress over exams or does he take them in stride? Does he have the stamina to sit for a three-hour exam?

Doing both AP Physics B and SAT II would line up nicely if you choose the May Sat II test date - then he wouldn't have to study twice. They cover pretty much the same material, and the subject test has a very forgiving curve. I know what you're saying, though. I tend to underestimate what my children are capable of sometimes. I worry too much (according to my husband!) and want to overprepare them when they are more than ready! I just contacted my local school yesterday to confirm this year's testing arrangements. I always have a momentary panic attack at this point - now we're committed and what *was* I thinking?! But it always turns out for the good.

Btw, what textbook is he using?

Kathy