Menu

After completing R&S Math 8

I do believe that the student would do better if they had a bit of an intro to algebraic terms (variables and such). Rod and Staff will have provided a solid background--just a bit (week or so) of a gentle introduction should be all that is needed.

You might want to do a bit of practice with unknowns first. Most Algebra 1 programs have a 'review' chapter--but it may not be enough for some students who have not had prior exposure to variables/unknowns.

The Keys to Algebra program works well for this... also you can find free worksheets online (if you know what you need!).

My dd used Lial's BCM for Pre-Algebra... only the last chapter dealt with unknowns/variables and she did fine going into Algebra 1.

Once you decide on the Algebra program you will be using it will help decide what supplement, if any, is needed.

I'm fininshing up R&S Math 8 with my oldest son, and he will start Algebra I next year. I'll be using an older textbook by Dolciani called Modern Algebra Structure and Method Book 1.

Chapter 10 in R&S 8 introduces Algebraic terms and expressions, and the next chapter introduces signed numbers. I don't foresee a problem transitioning from R&S to Algebra. My son recently took the ACT. Math was his lowest score because of the Plane Geo & Trig subtest (as a 7th grader, we haven't studied these yet), but he did surprisingly well in the pre-algebra/elem. algebra and coord. geo. subtests. He didn't do any ACT prep books, but my husband did review common algebra concepts like factoring about 2 weeks before the test; everything else was what he learned in R&S math.

Of course a lot of this depends on the child too...I'll do the same sequence with my middle son, but he will probably enter Algebra I in 9th grade, not in 8th like his older brother.

HTH!