Menu

testing prep courses ? for the btdt crowd

this could be a really dumb question...

what materials do you feel helped your dc take various tests (be it a math AP or a science SAT2 or a history CLEP whatever the case might have been for your child)

also what materials bombed seeing how they did on the related testing?

We used a WIDE variety of test prep materials.

Which brand of test prep book is best depends on

1) The individual test. Even the brands my kids generally preferred were not always the best for an individual test.

2) The student and his style of learning. Some books are more geared towards actual teaching; some are more geared towards quick review; some are more focused on providing sample tests.

3) The approach of the book. Even within a specific subject, the approaches of the test prep books vary considerably.

My suggested method for finding the best test prep book for your kids --

Take your child to a large bookstore. Find a comfortable rocking chair. Set the child up and then bring the child the large stack of test prep books for that subject and test. Have the child select the two or three that he finds the most appealing and buy those two or three.

Use one for study starting many months before the test.

Use one for quick review a few weeks before the test.

Use one as a source of additional tests. Some test prep book tests are discouragingly hard; some are ridiculously easy. You want a wide variety of tests.

The only subject we didn't use this approach with was Latin. There are few test prep books available for Latin and the local bookstore didn't carry any, so we ended up reading reviews and ordering those online.

but not quite what I meant.:)

what I meant was actually learning materials.

for example many say that Saxon is THE curriculum to use to have a child do well on math testing.

some might say that abeka biology was just the ticket to making sure their child did well on the biology SAT2 or a CLEP

so anyone have a particuliar curriculum material they felt really imparted what their kids needed for various test?

I agree with Gwen!

My two oldest dc have successfully self-studied for and taken several "college prep" tests, but it would really help us answer your questions if you could be more specific. Could you please post individually about each test? I think you'll get more of what you're looking for that way (and probably help a lot of other folks, too!).

Thanks!

GardenMom