Menu

High School Classes Taken in Middle School on Transcript?

Do any of you put classes taken in middle school on the highschool transcript? I've heard that if students take high school classes in 8th grade (Alg. I, Physical Science, 9th grade English classes, etc.) that they can be a part of the high school transcript. Sue

If you are registered with the local school board, they allow one high school class taken in middle school to be listed and used on high school transcript (i.e. Algebra I). However, the umbrella school which I have my son registered under, allows you to list the classes and grades, but you can not include the grades in their high school GPA or use them as credit for high school. Hope this helps. Good luck

ReneeR

yes and no...

My very personal opinion is that with the sciences and maths, it can be assumed that if a student has Algebra 2 on transcript for 9th grade, Alg 1 was taken in junior high. GENERALLY, a college is going to want to see what was done during the traditional 4 yrs of high school. However, my sciencey son did Biology as an 8th grader and has no interest in taking any other life sciences. He's done Chem, Adv. Chem and then plans on physics for the next 2 years. Perhaps I will list Biology on his transcript if I find it is a requirement for admission to aparticular school.

If you are considering graduating your child early, then probably you will want to write down what was accomplished when. When you show up to talk to an admissions counsellor with your 16yo who is applying to get in to their school, they are going to want to see some cold hard facts.

Remember the battle cry: "Ask The College"

My 2 cents,

Teresa

Edited by tajott

Do any of you put classes taken in middle school on the highschool transcript? I've heard that if students take high school classes in 8th grade (Alg. I, Physical Science, 9th grade English classes, etc.) that they can be a part of the high school transcript. Sue

My opinion is "no." This has been discussed before and the consensus is that there is not a consensus. :D Different people decide in different ways.

My daughter did Latin 1 and Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I did not put either on her transcript for two reasons: 1) she had sufficient credits without adding those two and 2) she went on to take Latin 2 and Algebra 2 in high school.

Had she taken several years of another language (at the high school level) prior to high school and was not planning to continue that language, I would have noted that.

Regards,

Kareni

yes and no...

My very personal opinion is that with the sciences and maths, it can be assumed that if a student has Algebra 2 on transcript for 9th grade, Alg 1 was taken in junior high.

I also agree that this should be obvious when looking at a transcript. My ds's umbrella, however, places this information on the transcript. Below the high school credits they list credits taken prior to high school with a pass credit. So, they do not include that credit in the GPA or total credit count, but they do list those courses.

HTH-

Mandy

...designated them as high school level courses taken in 7th or 8th grade, and I did not include them in the GPA. For some classes, mastery of the earlier levels will be apparent on the transcript because of the level of the 9th-12th grade year classes (Latin, maths), but for others it is not. For example, one of my children did BJU's Biology in 8th grade, but never took another biology course in high school, focusing instead on multiple years of chemistry and physics. It was important that colleges knew he had studied biology at the high school level previously. Another child took Scholars Online World Literature, a high school level literature class, in 8th grade, but it is not apparent from the titles of other literature courses he took that he also took that high school level World Lit course.

My thought is that the information is on the transcript if the colleges want to see it, and if they want to ignore it, they can do that. As Teresa mentioned, this did come into play somewhat when one of my children graduated early.

I think that there are instances when pre-9th classes should be noted on a transcript.

My ds took a high school biology course in 8th, and although he took additional science courses (no more bio or anatomy) in each of his four high school years, I felt that it was important to note that he had completed biology -- and that it had been a class with a lab. I listed it with an asterisk on his transcript below his high school courses.

~Brigid

I am hijacking the question...

My dd is technically in 7th grade, but is finishing up high school level Spanish 2 this year. She will take Spanish 3 for "8th grade" and hopefully Spanish 4 in 9th. In order to have 2 years of foreign lang. for high school, would you recommend me counting the Spanish 3 and 4 courses? Or do we venture on to another language for 2 years?

It drives me crazy that as hs'ers we are able to let our children learn at their own pace, but have to "hold them back" so to speak for educational purposes! (Thanks for the vent...)

Answer with another question -- do you intend for your daughter to continue to take Spanish? If she will go on to take Spanish 4 or AP Spanish, I see no reason to list Spanish 3 on her transcript.

What will she do for a foreign language for high school, or are you considering her "done" after three years of Spanish?

Janet in WA said that some of the colleges to which her dss applied specified that courses on the transcripts must have been taken in the immediate 4 years before the applications were submitted. IOW, nothing done in middle school would count.

Of course, if you don't need the transcript for college, then it doesn't matter.

Answer with another question -- do you intend for your daughter to continue to take Spanish? If she will go on to take Spanish 4 or AP Spanish, I see no reason to list Spanish 3 on her transcript.

What will she do for a foreign language for high school, or are you considering her "done" after three years of Spanish?

I would love to consider her "done", but after going through all the posts I will either have to declare that she's in 9th grade this next year and not 8th, so that I can count her Spanish, Alg, History, and biology. Or, I will have to pursue AP or dual enrollment classes.

I think it depends.

*I* didn't put 8th grade classes on the transcript because there were enough credits without doing so.

Also the classes she took in high school showed mastery of what was done in 8th grade.

I didn't make the decision for sure til down the line though. But Biology II said that kid had taken Biology I. And she's only 16 and has so far gone through Calc II and Statistics (this semester) so that more than suggests she successfully did Algebra I. Spanish II means she took Spanish I. But had we needed another science or math, then we could have put it on there.

Beginning Early

One way to accelerate during the high school years is for students totake high school level courses prior to the 9th grade year (usually during the 7th or 8th grade years.) The key is to be sure you use high school level materials. In addition, adequately document the high school course by keeping good records of the resources used (including textbooks, DVDs, videos, additional reading, etc.), the

amount of credit you gave the course, your method of evaluation (tests, quizzes, papers, etc.), work samples from the beginning, middle, and end of the course to show progress, and also the final letter grade that you awarded your child. Most colleges do not have a problem with high school level courses taken in the 8th grade, but some colleges may have strict policies of not counting for high school

credit any course taken prior to 8th grade. So please check with colleges your teen is thinking about applying to in order to ask about their policies regarding courses taken prior to 9th grade.

Speeding Up

Some teens cover course material very quickly and may be able to finish the material early. If that is your experience, then you have the option to begin another course mid-year. For example, if your teen flew through the Algebra 1 book in one semester (and you are sure he or she has mastered all of the concepts), then go ahead and start the Algebra 2 book. In general, when you put together your transcript, you will want to include the course in the year it was completed. So, if the Algebra 2 course was started in the 9th grade,

but finished in the 10th grade, then show the Algebra 2 course in the 10th grade year on the transcript.

Finishing in Three Years

Some teens may want to (and are capable of) finishing up their high school requirements in three years instead of four years. However, here are some questions to think through:

Is my teen ready for the real world in terms of not only,academic ability but also spiritual and emotional maturity? Are there any age restrictions that come into play for his or her next step after high school graduation (such as licensing requirements, apprenticeship programs, employment opportunities, and so forth)? Although your teen may have completed the minimum courses necessary for high school

graduation, could the traditional 4th year of high school be used to take additional and more advanced courses that will better prepare him or her for adulthood?

Taken From: http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2009/01/20090108094059.asp

I also hate the argument that you should hold back your child for 'academic' reasons. I don't think you need to. If you've got a teen who has finished high school level foreign language in middle school, but you need additional foreign language to count for college admissions, then why not move on to college level foreign language for the highschool credit? Many college degrees require 3 semesters of a foreign language, you can get those out of the way while still in high school. There's no reason to slow down or stop. This is one area where moving forward doesn't prevent you from digging deeper into a subject.

I read these posts and I try hard to understand them. Really I do. But try as I might, I simply can not wrap my brain around the problem. To me, it seems so simple. You are the school. You are the teacher. Correct?

So, if your dc takes a high school level Spanish 1 class in 7th grade....who cares what grade she was in? It is a 9th grade level class and belongs on her transcript under 9th grade. Put it there. Continue this until she is done (you say Spanish 3? ok) and when she finishes this class in her 9th grade year, her transcript will show that she took these classes in 9th, 10th, and 11th grades. You just place them on the transcript where they belong.

It will be the rare college that will actually ask for documentation of when, exactly, you dc took that course. They just care that she took them and that they were the appropriate level course.

So, when your dd is in 9th grade, she may have quite a number of subjects filled in on her transcript. Great! When she has completed all the courses you want her to take for high school and her transcript is completely filled in, then she can study something that is of interest to her, take a study trip abroad, work part time, volunteer...(the list is endless) until you feel it is time to graduate her. You can hold her until she is 18 or whatever, or graduate her early. It's your call.

I've done this with both of my dc so far. One has graduated college and the other is in college. No problems. This is what we homeschool FOR; to let them forge ahead when they are ready and not to bow to some silly system of 'grade levels'.

You are in charge. Really. Just.do.it.

ETA: I learned to do this about 19 years ago when reading a Mary Pride book when we first started homeschooling. I didn't just make it up.

Edited by Katia

I was thinking about this last night, and I've got to say that I disagree with organizing the courses by year and labeling them 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade when that's not when the courses were taken. I think it gives a dishonest message to admissions counsellors on what your child did during those years.

When your child applies to college they are competing for a seat against other students. I think people would interpret a list of courses under 9th grade as the courses the child took during a specific timeframe. If you include 5-6 years of work listed as though they were taken during a four year time period, then your child will look as though they've accomplished more during four years than other students whose transcripts are more clearly labeled. I know my daughter's grades have suffered when she had too many courses in a given semester. I would hate to have her compared to a child whose inaccurate transcript made it look like she took more courses at once and got better grades. Add to that the additional projects and extra curriculars taken with a five or six year high school schedule and admissions counsellor and scholarship committees would have an inaccuate picture of your child.

I have heard of transcripts organized by subject, and I think if you don't want to highlight the fact that some courses were taken prior to 9th grade, then it would be better to simply not put a time period on the transcript. Or you could include the middle school courses as part of your high school graduation requirements and select a university that is fine with that.

We have a lot of flexibility in offering a non-accredited education to our children. But I do think it's best to conform to standard definitions when communicating to colleges etc. And I believe that 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade mean something specific in traditional educational settings. I suppose you could define grade levels outside of the norms and include those definitions on the transcript and in a school overview.

Our umbrella (and the state) allows us to add a foreign language or Alg I taken in 8th grade to the hs transcipt. My dd took Latin I in 8th grade and it added to her GPA. It is standard college prep in FL for public or private students to have one of these in 8th grade, so her transcript is just par for the course. It also freed up her high school years for taking other classes.

I was thinking about this last night, and I've got to say that I disagree with organizing the courses by year and labeling them 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade when that's not when the courses were taken. I think it gives a dishonest message to admissions counsellors on what your child did during those years.

When your child applies to college they are competing for a seat against other students. I think people would interpret a list of courses under 9th grade as the courses the child took during a specific timeframe. If you include 5-6 years of work listed as though they were taken during a four year time period, then your child will look as though they've accomplished more during four years than other students whose transcripts are more clearly labeled. I know my daughter's grades have suffered when she had too many courses in a given semester. I would hate to have her compared to a child whose inaccurate transcript made it look like she took more courses at once and got better grades. Add to that the additional projects and extra curriculars taken with a five or six year high school schedule and admissions counsellor and scholarship committees would have an inaccuate picture of your child.

I have heard of transcripts organized by subject, and I think if you don't want to highlight the fact that some courses were taken prior to 9th grade, then it would be better to simply not put a time period on the transcript. Or you could include the middle school courses as part of your high school graduation requirements and select a university that is fine with that.

We have a lot of flexibility in offering a non-accredited education to our children. But I do think it's best to conform to standard definitions when communicating to colleges etc. And I believe that 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade mean something specific in traditional educational settings. I suppose you could define grade levels outside of the norms and include those definitions on the transcript and in a school overview.

Now, see, I have NO idea what you are talking about here, because it's not what I was saying in my previous post.

Do you not, in your school, decide what courses your dc needs to graduate from your school? Most schools do. They list them like:

English - 4 years

Science - 3 years, two with lab

Foreign Language - 3 years of the same language

etc. etc.

This is what I do for our homeschool. As the dc complete these required classes they are placed on their transcript regardless of when they complete them. But, when they are done....they are done. Anything 'extra' they do is for their own enrichment. It's not placed on the transcript, unless we listed it as extra-curricular.

My dc don't have 5-6 years of work placed on a 4 year transcript! I don't know where you came up with that idea. BUT, if they took a 9th grade foreign language class in 7th or 8th grade, it is placed on the 9th grade transcript because that is where it belongs. When they are finished with their foreign language requirements; they are finished. They don't do more and then list them too. Is that what you are thinking? I honestly don't know.

My dc only have 6.5 to 7 credits per year on their transcript and at least one of those credits each year was music. That is not over-inflated or dishonest in any way. It is not making your dc look bad in any way that I can tell. But, 9th grade class is a 9th grade class. And 'grade level' is so subjective. You can graduate your dc at any time, when they have fulfilled your requirements for your homeschool. No? So, when their transcript is filled in, they are done with high school, regardless of age/grade/whatever.

Now, if for some reason, you don't care to do your transcripts in this way for your school and for your dc, that is entirely up to you. But it doesn't make those of us that do "dishonest". We are just not choosing to punish our children for taking a high school level class earlier than what someone else may decide is the 'right' age or the 'right' time or the 'right' grade.

In Texas, it's a legal REQUIREMENT that HS courses taken before HS be counted.

I am doing something similar. I will acknowledge credit ONLY, no grade, for courses taken very young. I may give letter grades before number grades, as well.

This isn't an either/or situation, and I want to give colleges the clearest idea of what my DS has done, regardless of when!

Katia,

Thanks for clarifying that you organize your transcript by subject. I interpreted your original post as a transcript organized more like this...

9th Grade - Foreign Language, Math, Science, etc

10th Grade- Foreign Language, Math, Science, etc

11th Grade- Foreign Language, Math, Science, etc

12th Grade- Foreign Language, Math, Science, etc

And I thought that would be misleading if 9th grade included courses that were taken in different years. I think the way you have outlined your transcript is perfect for someone who wants to get started on highschool early.

And it is true... We set the graduation requirements for our kids.

I think there are a lot of people reading these posts who will be looking for guidance. I'm glad you cleared up my misunderstanding. Sounds like we are on the same page.

I do not think it is ethical to list courses/independent studies going back fruther than that without clearly stating it. The assumption when doing a high school transcript is that it is the 4 years prior to graduation you are listing (3 if you graduate early). Too bad if you took Alg. 1 in 8th grade or did an amazing internship (IMO) at that time.

However, if you did take Alg. 1 prior to the "high school years", then it should be obvious when you start listing Alg. 2 etc.

The kids who go to prestigious high schools carry huge class loads and must perform under pressure. As homeschoolers, then our kids can use fx. summer vacations, but to extend the timeframe to 4+ years is just not right, IMO, unless fx. there was a learning disability or you listed it clearly (fx. the kid travelled during high school or got a job or spent half a year interning full time etc.).

We listed dd's classes pr. subject and got only one letter from BU asking for clarification as to when courses were taken. We ended up sending back a casual email that dd was a motivated autodidact who had learned and studied in periods and that we had not divided her studies into years. She got accepted with a great scholarship etc. BU btw has their own homeschool counselor...

Nothing is perfect and dd certainly did not get accepted everywhere, but she did get interviews at all the Ivy Leagues so something must have been right with the transcript.

Do you mean done with all classes or just done with Spanish?

If just done with Spanish, presumably she will want to do SOMETHING with all that knowledge inthe upcoming years? Another question; Does someone who is bi-lingual not get some credit for that language on a college transcript? Perhaps a proficiency exam given by the college? What about taking a CLEP test?

If she is interested in taking another language, I would think that would be a good thing, and you could make a note onthe transcript that she studied one language in middle school and another in high school. Who knows what she will want to do with that in a few years.

My continued answer to this is keep track of what your student does and then later on when you need it, write the transcript based on what the college or job wants to see.

Thank you all for such a great discussion!! I am still in a quandry as to what to do with her. She is very gifted and perhaps I am in over my head and need to send her to school. For 7th grade, she will have completed Alg 1, Physical Science, Spanish 2, Latin 1 and the other subjects at grade level. On one hand, I think I will have her continue to progress forward and investigate AP or dual enrollment classes. On the other hand, I don't know if I am capable of keeping up with her and providing the type of classes needed for upper level work. Oh well, something to ponder and pray about! God bless you all during this and the upcoming school adventures!

correctly, in her talk about Preparing for College, SWB says basically that the only thing that you can count is Algebra I. From previous posts it does seem that different states have completely different approaches.....

She said that even if students are doing language work earlier, they would then be at a higher level when they reach high school so it would be obvious that they had done previous work.

Somewhere else I read that some places insist on seeing Algebra I on the transcript even if you are doing Algebra II..

So since you don't really need to make the final transcript until your dc are ready to apply, you can find out what the college that they are applying to accepts and gear each transcript accordingly if eg they are applying in different states....you make different transcripts for each one...

Best,

Joan