Menu

Another MCT question...

kokotg

I keep looking at the Michael Clay Thompson LA program for my 7 year old DS, but I haven't ordered it yet....right now he's maybe a third of the way through Growing With Grammar 4 (he finished the first 3 levels of First Language Lessons before that). Grammar comes pretty easily to him, but he's not loving GWG. My questions: does anyone use the MCT materials as a supplement to another grammar program, or only as a stand-alone? How much time do you spend on it? And would it be too repetitive for my DS, given the grammar he's already done? I'd really like to find something that makes language more interesting for him. We found the kids' version of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" at the library and he read it over and over again--so I think the problem is not the subject but the presentation with grammar right now. TIA!

I use MCT as the initial starting point and my 8 yo DS loves it. We read through Grammar Island pretty quickly 1-2 months. He has watched the Schoolhouse Rock grammar videos and now we are doing R&S 3 for our daily review-not all the problems and a lot is oral. Now we are also working through Sentence Island.

That being said, I love the MCT program and it can be a stand alone program, but GI is meant to go through quickly and to put the knowledge into use the rest of the year. Well, I couldn't do that without another program to hold me accountable. GI has made R&S3 a breeze for my son and he doesn't even flinch when having to diagram a sentence.

I don't think it would be repetitive for your son, though I have never used GWG. Even if some of the content is, the story line is engaging enough for kids of this age, he probably wouldn't see it as repitition. It is not like a text book, it is a story.

I honestly can't recommend it enough, particularly for children who can put the information together quickly so they can actually use it. It is a great program.

I just ordered MCT Ceasar's English, Building Poems, and Paragraph Town for next year but I didn't order the Grammar Town or the Practice Books bc dd has a very good foundation from FLL 1,2, & by the end of this year, 3. I've started to alter some of the FLL3 lessons to introduce the MCT mindset. I did buy Music in the Hemisphere to use asap. I'm looking forward to this bc I find FLL3 weak on poetry. Dd is asking for a deeper understanding of the poems she memorizes. For Grammar, however, I think dd can wait a year until Grammar Voyage for more grammar. Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Also... I will be using Writer's Jungle/Bravewriter principles to design my own writing assignments and I'll be using some other sources for language practice exercises. We use SL for reading.

Edited by violin69