Menu

A little long: Foreign Language help~asian or western~WWYD?

runningirl71

Okay, we're not homeschooling in two languages, but I thought this would be a great place to post this.

First off~my background~I'm fluent in Korean, meaning I can read/write/speak it on an intermediate to advanced level. I lived in S. Korea and the Korean minority region in China for 9 years. We functioned in Korean at that time. My kids grew up bilingual in English and Korean with their 3rd language being Chinese. I'm fluent in converstational Chinese only, cannot read or write except for a few basic things. Probably on a Kinder level on reading and writing.

So. We've moved back to America. My kids have Korean and Chinese only in their brains now as we don't speak it anymore. They are not attending Korean school anymore. I know it is there in the back of their mind, stored away, but it isn't functional. Same with Chinese.

I want to pick up a foreign language again (we're already doing Latin and may start Greek next year) but I'm torn in introducing a western language (Spanish or French) or delving again into Korean or Chinese. On one hand, Chinese and Korean in America is not practical. But, then I think, where we are living right now and where we're at in life (aren't going to be doing much traveling, even to Mexico or Quebec!) I'm thinking French and Spanish aren't practical either, when it comes to being exposed to it. Here's the thing~my husband's job is working with International students. So, we do have access to native speakers for Korean, Chinese, French and Spanish amongst others. Dh is the only one who relates to the students daily though. The rest of us only see them once in awhile. But, if I got my rear in gear I could try to arrange some tutoring. We just need to be careful b/c technically we can't pay them and none of them are in need of doing an exchange with English.

So, what would you do? Try studying a language you feel comfortable with, although not practical (Korean or Chinese) or introduce a western language and hope there will be opportunities to use it? When we first moved back, I had my kids journal in Korean and read Korean books, but I was so overwhelmed with adjusting to life, that I let this drop to the way side as we're not planning on moving our family back overseas.

I'd appreciate and thoughts/perspectives/things to think about!

Edited by runningirl71

Asian....wow...I'd get them back into these. I'd look up adoption groups and see if there are any kids meeting together around you. Maybe this would help them get to speak with other children.....

Of course, Latin's great...and I'd want it, too. But Latin, Korean and Chinese would be the way I'd go...Lucky you!

Carrie:-)

I would definitely go with Korean or Chinese, whichever you are more comfortable with. Either language will come in handy in today's world economy, and it might even give them an edge in college admissions because it's not Spanish. It sounds like you have both the ability to teach these languages well, and resources for using the language outside of the home--it's better to learn something with excellence, even if untraditional, than to struggle along in another language, IMHO.

in American primary schools which have Mandarin Chinese as the second language.

We had started learning it when the children were younger but then had to focus on French for the authorities.

If you think that there are 1 billion Mandarin Chinese speakers (presuming they are all learning Mandarin in school at least), then you have a 1/6 of the world covered.

I'd stay with the Asian languages too. Even if I like French :)

They will have an edge over other adults if they can be fluent in Korean and Chinese, instead of tourist-level in Spanish or French. Give them Latin if you can, at least they'll have most concepts already if life demands they should learn French or SPanish (or Italian...)

I'd stay with the Asian languages too. Even if I like French :)

They will have an edge over other adults if they can be fluent in Korean and Chinese, instead of tourist-level in Spanish or French. Give them Latin if you can, at least they'll have most concepts already if life demands they should learn French or SPanish (or Italian...)

Thanks for the input! We are in our third year with Latin studies. I'm supposed to be adding Greek! :tongue_smilie: Incorporating Korean and Chinese into our schedule will be a whole lot easier b/c 1. I'm familiar with it and 2. I know what I'm doing. I have this feeling if I go with Spanish or French, we'll abandon it.

:)

I was wondering if I was crazy, that is why I posted! Thanks again for your thoughts!

I would definitely go with Korean or Chinese, whichever you are more comfortable with. Either language will come in handy in today's world economy, and it might even give them an edge in college admissions because it's not Spanish. It sounds like you have both the ability to teach these languages well, and resources for using the language outside of the home--it's better to learn something with excellence, even if untraditional, than to struggle along in another language, IMHO.

Thank you for this, Strider. I didn't see it that way. :)

in American primary schools which have Mandarin Chinese as the second language.

We had started learning it when the children were younger but then had to focus on French for the authorities.

If you think that there are 1 billion Mandarin Chinese speakers (presuming they are all learning Mandarin in school at least), then you have a 1/6 of the world covered.

:lol: Yes! That is true! If you look at the world as a whole, there are a whole lot of mandarin speakers! Thanks for the encouragement!

I'd carry on with the Asian languages. We have recently added in French, but Mandarin is a continuing central course of study for us - the boys go to Chinese community school every Saturday.

Laura

Laura! I'm so glad that you are continuing on with Mandarin. Just last week I was thinking of you and wondering about that. It is neat your boys can go to a community school. When we moved away from the Korean community and into a full Han community, we sent our kids to Korean Saturday school. There were enough South Koreans in this Han city to have one class of kids per grade!

:)

I definitely would use BOTH of the languages you are fluent in. How cool to have a mom who knows Korean and Chinese. :D Since you are fluent in these language, teaching will be much, much easier and the likelihood of dropping any of them is way less. My ds studies German 'cause I am fluent in German. We are studying Latin as well (our 1st year). I have noticed that it is much easier to keep a foreign language going, to have the kids interested in it when Mom or/and Dad knows the language. It is just so cool you know these languages. In the long run, I think Asian languages are more beneficial than others. Just my 2 cents.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

trade for home cooked meals, laundry, or anything that you are good at. Even a student who doesn't need English lessons might need someone to read over and edit papers. If they stayed for meals you could speak whatever language at the dinner table.

Good idea! I had thought about offering dinner or cooking lessons, but helping with papers is good too! Thanks!