Menu

Suggestions for course of study

For those who have had children go on to top schools or planning top schools what curriculum did you or are you using? My 13 yo ds will be in 9th grade next year and I know that the schools he will want to apply to will want course descriptions. His desire is to go to MIT so I want to give him every chance to get there. He has finished the TT math series so I was thinking The Art of Problem Solving. I just want the books that he uses to be looked at as high level texts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Lora

We have a son who is a sophomore at a very competitive private college. He used public school math and science texts. In addition to the public school texts, we used Singapore's NEM series (NEM 1, 2, and 3) concurrently...we emphasized math because he was planning to study engineering. He also took 29 credits at the local cc and a local university (classes included history, statistics, calculus, chemistry, English comp, computer programming).

Ria

For those who have had children go on to top schools or planning top schools what curriculum did you or are you using? My 13 yo ds will be in 9th grade next year and I know that the schools he will want to apply to will want course descriptions. His desire is to go to MIT so I want to give him every chance to get there. He has finished the TT math series so I was thinking The Art of Problem Solving. I just want the books that he uses to be looked at as high level texts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Lora

As Ria suggests, you'll want to beef up your math and science courses, and definitely consider doing community college courses in the last 2 years of high school. For math, Teaching Textbooks is comparatively weak, so you may want to look into:

- Singapore's New Elementary Math (NEM) -- fabulous for teaching problem solving and "math thinking"

- Dolciani

- Foerester

- online math through Potter's School

- possibly Chalkdust math series

If he has finished math for this year and you're looking for something to "tide you over" till starting high school in the fall, perhaps look at the Life of Fred series, or do a skimming review of Lial's Basic College Mathematics.

For more higher math info, search for past posts by Fractalgal, Charon, and LoriM.

For more higher science info, definitely look for past posts by Ria.

Also, did you know that MIT offers some of its course materials free online to high school students? I'd definitely suggest working through some of that material in high school in preparation of applying to MIT! Check it out at: http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.