Menu

For those of you who have BTDT re: honors, AP and college....

My ds (13 - 8th grade) has taken Algebra, Omn III and Physical Science this year through Veritas Press Scholars Online program. He has absolutely no complaints. Loves it and want to continue next year. He is working hard and getting A's in everything.

While registering for classes for next year I came across their Homeschooling Graduation Requirements if you want to persue it through them. We don't, but it definitely got me to thinking. I showed the list to Elijah.

Elijah would like to graduate with honors. There is no way he could do it through them because we would not have 6 years of Omnibus and I don't want to pay the extra money to go through VP for a diploma. However, I feel that his work will be enough that I will graduate him with honors if he continues to do so well and does what I set forth.

What exactly does one need to "graduate with honors"? I am going to re-read some of the posts that I read last year, but am wondering for those who have already gone this route if you have any tips/ideas for me/Elijah?

Next year his classes will all be through VP Scholars Online. He will be taking Jacobs Geometry, Comp I, Latin I (with previous Latin), Apologia Biology, Omnibus I, and Logic I. He will also continue his sports/extra activities that he likes to do.

He would like to work for Microsoft when he graduates from college. He has wanted to since he was 6. He doesn't have an exact field, besides computer science, so if anyone has any ideas about what he might want to specialize in that would be great also. He is a definite leader type personality.

For instance, in his Omnibus online class he always volunteers to lead the debates and thoroughly enjoys it. He is a hard worker and a very driven person. While hubby and I encourage him to continue to do his best we also have to slow him down to enjoy the more enjoyable parts of life.

I would love to hear from some of you who have finished or are close to finishing and either feel like you did it right and want to share or share what you wish you had done differently.

Thanks so much.

Michele

We did not list anything as honors. Honors in schools shows that the student followed a curriculum more rigorous than average, but since a homeschool setting is very individual, I don't think the term "honors" has any real meaning in the homeschool setting.

We tried to showcase our kids' academic accomplishments by --

1) COURSE DESCRIPTIONS -- we submitted 9 pages of course descriptions to each college. The courses were described, along with resources/tests used, etc

2) Outside testing (SAT, SAT2's, and AP exams)

3 Outside grades (courses taught by "official" teachers in "official" though not necessarily accredited schools) -- Scholars Online, Regina Coeli, Keystone, etc.

4) Outside college grades -- CC and local 4-year college work

Recommendations will also help convince colleges that your child has followed a rigorous curriculum and is capable of outstanding work.

Thank you for your reply. Do you feel that the AP classes were worth your kids time? What online classes did you like the best?

If you've already answered these questions in another post you don't have to answer. I am going to search back on the boards later this next week.

Do you have an example of a course description that you gave a college? I would love to see it.

Thanks again.

Michele

Gwen- I have a question about the online courses and how you documented their grades. Did you print out the grade page for each class? I think you have to print it out when the class is ended since I don't believe the record would stay up for several years. So when you did the transcript did you enclose this grade sheet (or copy) for each class? I like picking up one course here and there (Potters school, Scholars online, etc) but I'm thinking if you get one printed page for each class for a grade your "transcript" would turn into a manual. Sorry if this is hijacking.... Thanks!

We did not list anything as honors. ,,,

We tried to showcase our kids' academic accomplishments by --

1) COURSE DESCRIPTIONS

2) Outside testing (SAT, SAT2's, and AP exams)

3) Outside grades

4) Outside college grades

I agree with all that Gwen posted in the quote above. We too did not designate anything as Honors.

Our course descriptions were not quite as detailed as Gwen's but ran to about seven pages. Besides our own course descriptions (ask if you'd like to see them), I included those from classes my daughter had taken at the local community college and for the PA Homeschoolers class she is currently taking.

Other outside test scores we included besides those Gwen mentioned above were from the National Latin exam. My daughter will be taking the National Greek Exam in March (that score will show up on her final transcript). If your child does well on the PSAT and receives honors such as National Merit Commended Student or Semi-finalist, you should also include that fact. If your child were to take CLEP tests, I'd also include those results.

While I included all grades from outside sources on our transcript, I also sent a community college transcript to each college my daughter applied to. She also took some classes at a resource center that did not provide a transcript. In that case, I mentioned that fact in my Homeschool profile document.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, I would love to see a description. My email is lovin5kids @ msn.com (remove spaces).

It is possible we will not continue with VP. It just happens to work out this next year so we will go with it. However, I may do Chemistry and/or Calculus at a college. What type of classes did your dd take at a community college?

I am going to take ds to UW and SPU soon to make sure we are doing the requirements that are necessary for both colleges. I will see if they accept AP exams or CLEP? I am really wondering how much this has helped other kids?

I've got to go get all the kids out the door for basketball but am looking forward to info.

Thanks,

Michele

For outside classes, in addition to including the grade on our home-brewed transcript, we actually had the school submit the kid's transcript. We feel this added a level of veracity to the application.

I know that U. Nebraska's online high school, Keystone, Scholars Online, and Regina Coeli will all send an official copy of the student trascript if asked. Some charge $5, some will send up to ten copies or so for free.

We were concerned that we were flooding the colleges with too much information, but ALL the schools my kids applied to (including state schools that said online that they would only accept a limited amount of material) wanted more, more, more.

I think that colleges are intrigued by homeschoolers -- so many self-disciplined independent thinkers -- but are wary of the possible lack of outside corroboration of achievements. Colleges seem willing to look at much more infor for hs'ers than for other students. (Ask your individual college to make sure!)

And definitely list ALL SIGNIFICANT honors/awards on your child's transcript -- National Merit, debate, sports, whatever. Many high schools do that. It helps provide outside corroboration of your child's achievements.

Yes, I would love to see a description. My email is ....

I've emailed them.

What type of classes did your dd take at a community college?

She began taking community college classes in 11th grade. She has taken a fairly heavy load but has done very well.

Our community college is on a quarter system. Her first term she took 13 hours (a full time load), her second term 12, and the final term 8. She took College Algebra and Trig; two quarters of Composition and one of Literature; two quarters of Geology and a quarter long class called Rocks and Minerals.

In addition to the above, she was also taking AP Latin and AP Comparative Gov't/Politics.

By the end of this year, 12th grade, she will have taken: two quarters of Literature and one of Composition; one quarter of Environmental Science; one quarter of Introduction to Drawing; one quarter of Art History; and an archery class. This is a lighter community college load than the previous year; however, she's also taking a post-AP year of Latin, first year Ancient Greek, and AP Statistics.

I am going to take ds to UW and SPU soon to make sure we are doing the requirements that are necessary for both colleges. I will see if they accept AP exams or CLEP? I am really wondering how much this has helped other kids?

I do think that taking both community college classes and AP classes have helped my daughter in getting accepted to some good colleges. They add corroboration to the home-given grades and show that she is capable of doing challenging work and doing it well.

Regards,

Kareni

My 2 oldest dc have taken or will take several AP tests. They self-study at home with me guiding them. You've gotten great advice so far, so I just would like to give you one more thing to think about. I need to qualify this recommendation to say that I am not the kind of parent for which this book is written. I do find it interesting. I am also not recommending this style of parenting/education for everyone, but your son sounds like the kind self-motivated student this book might help.

That said, here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/What-High-Schools-Other-Parents/dp/0452289521/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235263755&sr=8-1

In case the link doesn't work, it's called "What High Schools Don't Tell You and What Other Parent's Don't Want You to Know" by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross. It talks about a lot of competitions and other programs in which top students participate. This book, presents the opinion that top colleges really don't care about the word "honors" added to a diploma. They are looking for bright, motivated, passionate students who have taken advantage of opportunities such as the Intel Science competition, the Chemistry/Science/Math Olympiads, or special research in their chosen field.

I also suggest working backwards. Do some thinking with your son to find out:

- Where he might like to go to college

- What he might like to study

- What kinds of honors/awards might appeal to him for his high school work

- What kind of education he wants to have received by college

Look at some college websites with him, especially requirements for acceptance and AP credit awarded. Search for degree checklists for his probable majors, and see which AP credits apply. Then map out a high school plan with him.

Let us know how it goes!

GardenMom

For us, doing AP classes was absolutely worth every penny and every minute.

Good scores on AP exams certainly help the college admissions process. They also can be quite helpful in getting into advanced courses and fulfilling gen ed requirements.

Dd1 took five AP's and got a 5 on all of the exams, so she entered with lots of credits having already fulfilled most of her gen ed requirements.

Ds1 took six AP's and got a 5 on all except one, so he also entered with lots of credits having already fulfilled most of his gen ed requirements.

Both of my kids are planning double-majoring plus doing at least one minor, and they can only do this because of all the credits they entered with. During his two semesters at college, hs has had a total of three other freshman in ALL of his classes!!!!! (Socially, this is actually a bit of an issue, but we are thrilled that he is able to pursue the more "interesting' classes earlier in his college career!)

I am going to print it out and read and think about it. Talk to ds. I am going to call SPU and UW and set up appts to go see someone. Start doing some research. He actually enjoys that so I may just have him research.

I'm definitely going to research AP classes more. My best friend is a JH math teacher. Her son has taken AP courses. I'm sure it would be different for us, but will look into and see how we would accomplish this.

A big huge thank you to Kareni for all the info she sent. I've got a lot of research and thinking/praying to do.

I was just saying to hubby that all of the plans that we (son and I) have made over the years are coming to fruition. It seemed so very far away, but now the energy needs to be put into accomplishing, not just talking. So strange when I still have a preschooler.

I absolutely, positively LOVE to hear from those who have gone before me. I listen and reflect. It's great.

Thanks so much. I need to go check that book out from the library.

Michele

That is a great book, but unfortunately our library's copy had multiple pages carefully slit out of it. So disappointing...

Gwen--Thanks so much about reminding me that those schools will send out transcripts. My experience was with the college type High schools, (Indiana and U. of Missouri) I had no idea that the others (unaccredited but still rigorous) do also. My dd took one year of SOL (3 classes) I didn't know you could get a transcript from them, either. I wonder if Potter's School does that?. I have enjoyed them since I like the audio, and they have such a nice variety of classes with good teachers. That would be wonderful if they could provide a 4 years transcript (even if it's only 1-2 classes per year) I don't know why I hadn't thought of that myself!!

Michele- it sounds like you are in the Seattle area- there have been two homeschool college fairs (in October) (07 and 08) at UW Bothell campus and they were wonderful. The U of W admissions officer gave presentations, and most of the other local colleges were there. It was definitely worth going. (I just went in 07 however) Also some of your questions may be answered on the U of W's admissions website.

Edited by NancyL
mispelled word