Menu

Taking one class at a local high school - questions

Have any of you had one or more of your dc do this? It's an option here, and there are no CCs within any reasonable distance for us at this time with 2 younger ones, high gas prices, etc. Dd is thinking of taking Latin next year. It's a semester school with 86 minute classes, so this would only last one semester if she did only one class.

Any words of advice on how to broach the counsellor? Or should I go about it another way? I haven't dealt with ps for nearly 6 years and am very rusty on this. Plus, that was elementary school. This school has some great honours courses, but some lousy other classes.

We had to do it thru the school system, who told us if there was space at our local school. There wasn't, and ds would have gone to another school nearby. Anyway, we never took advantage since the original request was for a class that didn't have room.

We might try this again with our second son. The rules are pretty strict here--no hanging out on campus, no eating in the cafeteria or using the library (but they might bend those two rules if we sign up for two classes and there's a period between), and no participation in any club or sport. We simply call our district office and they set it all up.

My D. took 2 classes her junior year (started 2nd semester) Spanish and also English because they were back to back. She was bitterly complaining about the Spanish independent study and needed to finish the 2nd year of Spanish. She wanted to have a second class so she took whatever had seats available. (English) (unhappy with homeschooling at this point) So she was planning on entering full time but then she really was at their mercy for graduation requirements.... Health and speech would have been the first to go into her schedule. they would have essentially bounced her back to being a 9th grader. (they would accept nothing from another district, even accredited) She took the "consolation prize" of 2 classes which all they allow you to take w/o being a full time student. However this policy was from the former superindent who has left, so maybe this could change....

The second year (Sr.) she took AP chemistry (2 periods) and wasn't allowed to take even one more class, because the one counted for two. Here's my take on it.

The class scedules change frequently because they have an assembly almost every other Friday. (the assemblies were at different times of the day so they didn't follow a pattern) So your class time is different on these days. Also class time is different during the testing periods, like AP or WASL (in WA) That added up to 3-4 weeks for testing. They also do little curriculum doing the testing periods because they assume that their may be even one student is impacted so they don't move forward. (class becomes a study hall, but the PT student doesn't have any extra work with them because they only come for the one class. ) ie --you need to be prepared with extra work or homework during this time to ask the teacher or something.

11th grade she was very much into getting nicely prepared for school. (up at 5:30 to fix her hair, etc) but that lasted only that one semester.

by 12th grade she was attending in pajamas and flipflops. (we make our pajama bottoms and they are nice flannel) but still...

She was close to school and she either walked or I dropped her off and she walked home. Parking is expensive and I wasn't going to pay it. She got some parking fines before she realized they meant it. After the junior year she really didn't want to return for her senior year, but frankly I was ready for her to "go somewhere" everyday so I could work with her sister. It turned out the chemistry was a wonderful experience, and the teacher wrote several recommendations for her that fall for college apps.

The pluses... get to leave the house everyday. Get to make some new friends (the kids in AP classes are a great peer group) Get to feel like a real High school student, and can go to activities if desired. (by this time she was seeing an older boyfriend--21) so he wasn't allowed to go to prom so she didn't want to participate in prom. (at this time we would have loved it if she would have gone to prom with another HS boy--but by your senior year the girls aren't really impressed with high school boys--we weren't impressed with the older BF either)

She was able to get at least two teacher recommendations, even from this very small sampling of teachers.

Made friends who organized study group sessions at the library. (She was the only non Asian in the chemistry class and they frequently are expected to go to the library after school until 6. (not school library) I thought she looked cute sitting with all the other chinese girls at the library study table.

Minuses- eats up a lot of time (and we are less than 1/2 mile from school) especially if you have to get "fancied up". You won't get a locker so you will have to have everything with you in your backpack. You find out your grade has a lot to do with your group project and you will have to go back to school at odd hours to meet with your group. (this was for English) This was the regular class, not AP and the students are more a mixed bag.

Goodby freedom during the school day/year, and this can impact your family, also.

Recommendation: cherry pick teachers/classes if possible. The basic classes may be more filled up so the AP would be more available, which is a better peer group. I hope this is helpful!!!

My ds took drama in 9th grade (about half of his youth group from church is in it...and the teacher also goes to our church!). This year he took driver's ed (one semester) and is taking drama II. He also runs cross country and track. I would advise you to check with your school district and see what you have to do. In FL, you can be dually enrolled at high school and/or participate in extracurricular activities. My ds enjoys drama and has been in the fall musicals the past two years. The play this year is going to be going to State (yeah!). They have a great program and the kids are good kids. The high school has been very accommodating and nice.

My ds is also dually enrolled at the local cc and is taking two classes there. He enjoys those also. He takes a couple at home, too! Next year he will be taking all of his classes at the cc.

Good luck!

elementary and middle school. Each child is allowed 2 classes so I usually farm out Spanish and science (too lazy to do experiments).

In 6th grade, dd took Science gifted and did well. The school's on a block system so it was 2 hours every other day (1:40 - 3:40) so it worked out well. This year, dd is taking Earth/Space Science Honors and Civics gifted. At first she hated the civics teacher (too strict) and loved the science teacher (too lenient). Now it's the reverse - she's realized that the civics teacher is excellent and that she's learning loads and the science teacher is too easy.

We do some ps, a bit of Florida Virtual School (Spanish) and I teach the skill classes at home (LA and math). It's given her a taste of ps, being accountable to other teachers and she's made friends in the gifted class.

She's also taken advantage of an after school Spanish program (1 1/4 hr per day) from K-5. Very positive experiences all around. It does limit the freedom to take off-peak vacations.

HTH,

Sandra

In Oregon, where we live, the schools have been very supportive. My oldest takes 2 classes back to back...walks home (2 houses down from the highschool) and then at the end of the day...back to school. She also misses each Wednesday, but for us it's worked. It's kinda a pain to have to set your schedule around the school day and then...year... But, since she's taking Chemistry and Forensic Science and Band...I guess it's worth it:-)

Carrie:-)

Ds took 2 classes all the way through. Honors Bio, Honors Chem, Physics, AP Chem, Pre-calc, AP Calc, some art and tech. Classes I could have taught but preferred not to. He did not want to do the dual enrollment at the local cc.

He thought it was great. Made some great friends, many came to his grad party and he still hangs out with them when they are all home from college. I would stick to honors/AP classes when possible, those kids want to learn and there is less "slacking" or behavior problems.

He was not allowed to participate in some things but was in others. He was allowed to attend dances, etc. as a student. He was able to get recs from teachers there.

The classes were scheduled so he could take the bus and I would have to pick him up. Once he got his license, he drove himself.

The counselor was great to work with. Go to the school's web site, find out who the counselor you would be working with and call. Just ask nicely, be polite, etc. You might have to go through the principal. You might want to check out the district's policies first on how it is to be done.

Edited by Susan in IL

Thanks. She is allowed to participate in hs extra-curricular sports here, and is planning to swim on their team. I think that Latin, if that works, will have a good peer group.

This information is helpful. I'm guessing there is no one way to do this. I don't want her loitering (someone mentioned no loitering), and the high school library is part of our public library network, so she should be able to take books out of it with her regular library card. However, that's only if she'd be allowed in it.

So much to think about, but so much cheaper than taking Latin with Scholars Online.