Menu

idea for spoken language

naturalmom

For my children, speaking German is the most challenging. It's easy to do "passive" things, like watching movies, readalouds, having them read... Whenever I would announce "This mealtime we're just speaking German", I got WAY too many "Das schmeck!" or "Wie geht's?" So here's what I just started last week, and so far it's worked really well.

I used a Sachbilderbuch and a Themenlexikon that are only up to 2. Klasse (elementary age books about various topics - nature, animals, history...) I made up cards for all the topics, along with the books and pages they can be found in. Every day my 3 children have to each draw a card, read that topic, and give a talk on it the next morning. I put their initial on the card when they've done it, and it goes to the back of the pile. We may cycle through everything more than once, so each child covers each topic. (Books are expensive. We have to get all we can out of each resource!)

I like it because it gives them a topic - after all, it IS difficult to think of something to say if you're just told, "Talk!" Also, it provides them with any vocabulary they need in order to give their talk. (It is hard to remember "bud" or "larvae" in the second language).

For the talk, they can't just read out what is in the book. They can make notes if they want, but it can't be a direct copy. So far we've heard talks about the life cycle of ladybugs, changes in a tree through the year, what various animals eat, what (German) schools were like years ago, rain & fog, and lots of other different things.

This is in addition to the required German reading time we have that is supposed to be every day but is really about 3 times a week.

Hi Naturalmom,

I really like your approach. I ONLY have on ds 9 - and we are running into the same problem. It seems, the older he gets, the less interest he has in German. He went to a German Kindergarten in Germany, visited 1st Grade during the summer - but now in 3rd Grade. Totally different picture. All I hear from him is complaining - it is SOOOOO hard, spelling is SOOOOO hard, etc, etc. It's so frustrating to see his ability to talk, read, and write deteriorating with every week. Dh wanted him to start Russian or Ukranian in 4th Grade - but at this point.....:confused: We can't even get keep him going with German. Only Latin so far is done without a problem. He loves Latin, works easily 1 hour on Latin - but all the other language.......!!!???? So, I'll try your approach 'cause it really sounds doable. I hope, I'll get the same results you do.

Sonja

Homeschooling JUST ONE - ds 9

I should also mention - I don't correct their grammar during this time. It has been pretty good, which surprised me, but I want them to be confident in speaking.

Sonja - I hope your son enjoys it! I think it helps my kids that they all do it. Maybe if he seems resistant, you could do a talk, too!

• 1 month later...

I really like that idea: basically, it's narration.

We're thinking about using some Charlotte Mason methods for studying German (in addition to grammar): written narration of fiction books that we read together, nature study (with journal in German), using German sources as history supplemental, letter writing (we already do some of that), etc.

But, as far as keeping the language alive, we actually just speak German every evening and all weekend long (whenever Daddy's home). Even if we read a book or watch tv in English, we keep the discussion in German. It takes practice (it's hard not to switch back and forth) but it's the most effective method we've found so far. Of course, this only works if everybody's fluent.

If you're Christian, what about doing Bible study in German?

Yes - it's Charlotte Mason applied to German. (I wish I'd had time to study her educational ideas BEFORE I started homeschooling)

I would need more resources to do nature study in German, I think. I would love to do the Bible study in German, but I think my kids need more confidence in speaking first.

My youngest will be going to an immersion German language camp this summer, and I expect that to improve his speaking tremendously. My older two are too old for the camp, but I plan to do some German intensive weeks at home to catch up over the summer.