Menu

Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

Opinion of Liping Ma's Knowing & Teaching Elementary Math  

1. 1. Opinion of Liping Ma's Knowing & Teaching Elementary Math

• I have read this book...it is essential to my home library
    • I have read this book...borrowing it from the public library is sufficient
    • I have read this book...I didn't care for it
    • I don't know what you're talking about :D

I am looking for opinions on whether to buy or borrow this book.

It's not exactly cheap to buy ($25) but to borrow from the library would require an ILL ($5). We do plan on using Singapore Math.

Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics

Edited by Guest
Wanted to re-phrase

It was not available from our library so I bought it. I only read it once. I thought it was great, but I "got it" on the first reading--not sure if I'll ever read it again. I have been able to loan it out so others don't need to spend the $24 or whatever it cost. You might see if someone in your home school network has it and would lend it to you. If buying it was only a couple of dollars more than ILL, I would buy it, but it's really a lot more so I think I would borrow it for $5 rather than buy it. Borrowing for free is even better if you can find it!

It was not available from our library so I bought it. I only read it once. I thought it was great, but I "got it" on the first reading--not sure if I'll ever read it again. I have been able to loan it out so others don't need to spend the $24 or whatever it cost. You might see if someone in your home school network has it and would lend it to you. If buying it was only a couple of dollars more than ILL, I would buy it, but it's really a lot more so I think I would borrow it for $5 rather than buy it. Borrowing for free is even better if you can find it!

:iagree:

For me, this was one of the MOST IMPORTANT books I've ever read. Life-changing in helping me see that there is a "different way" to teach math. But once I read Liping Ma's book, I "got it".

There have been many times I wish I had a copy to lend to others, and have even had thoughts about buying a WTM copy that had to be "read" then passed on to the next person on the "list" (but I'm to lazy to administer such a thing :tongue_smilie:).

My now 4.5 year old was in utero when I first read this book, so I've been thinking maybe it's time to check it out again. This book had a profound effect on me. It's hard to overstate to what degree.

I've said it before but I wish every parent/teacher would read Liping Ma's book, as I believe it would transform the way we teach math in this country.

Bill

Thanks, Bill - you were the one who really sold me on Singapore and the book in the first place, so for you to say that really confirms just to borrow it!

Thank you ALL for your input! I'm trying to do as much "studying" now while I have the time as possible.

Thanks, Bill - you were the one who really sold me on Singapore and the book in the first place, so for you to say that really confirms just to borrow it!

Thank you ALL for your input! I'm trying to do as much "studying" now while I have the time as possible.

If you're like me, it will be "light-bulb" moment after "light-bulb" moment.

But the book is not really a "how to". More like a "why to", if that makes sense? So you may learn what "not to do" (and why not) and get examples of some "alternate" methods of teaching math concepts in mathematically "sound ways", but this is not a math curriculum. The book is really aimed at math education/pedological types, and not really at home educators.

Never-the-less, this remains one of the two most (in case SWB's reading this :tongue_smilie:) important books on education I've ever read.

Bill

I was able to read the book online for free. Our library has some sort of agreement with another library that allowed me to log on to their website to view it. I found the book by doing a search in my library's catalog.

The book was certainly eye opening, but I wouldn't spend much money on it. It did help me feel good about the math program that we use.