Menu

McGuffey's Readers: Revised vs Original

We have the revised edition, and we think they are great! I have looked at the originals, and they just seemed too far out for my kids ... and my kids are used to listening to old-fashioned literature. They just seemed too quaint to mesh well with our lifestyle.

Tara

We have the originals. And, I love them. They are quaint and definitely not up-to-date, but so are most of the books that I have them reading. Normal for us, I guess. My 5 year old is currently reading the primer aloud to me. We started them after 100EL. My 12yo and 10yo are reading the third volume aloud, to practice public speaking. It's been great for them, learning how to stand up in front of us and stand still while reading. ;) It makes me so proud!!! And the stories are filled with valor, character teaching, etc.

It's not that they are old-fashioned that made me not as keen on the originals. We love old-fashioned stuff around here. I guess what I meant by quaint is that a lot of the language is sooo old-fashioned that my kids will never really encounter it anywhere else or use it for anything. I felt like I didn't want to take the time to teach and explain the outdated language when what I want them to be focusing on is reading fluency and comprehension. Does that make sense?

Tara

I thought the same, and that's why I hadn't used them before. I've seen over the last month or so that the words I wasn't sure were useful actually are. I think it will be great for them, if only for their creative writing vocabulary usage. If not, they will have more extensive vocabularies, and that's not so bad, either.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on what you want to use them for.

If you're just using them for reading material after you've taught phonics and your children are reading well, I actually like the language and content of the originals better! (But, I also prefer the KJV, which most of my friends and family claim is not in English.)

However, if you want to use them to teach phonics, the revised edition is much superior, in fact, I don't recommend using the original at all, there was a period of whole word teaching going on from 1826 to 1876 which those fell under.

If you want to use them to teach phonics, the speller is the book to start with, not the primer or the reader, Spellers were used to teach reading back then, in fact, Noah Webster himself explains this in his 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language. The entry for spelling-book reads, "n. A book for teaching children to spell and read."

You can read about the history of reading and how spelling books and horn books were used here: (scroll down to the timeline)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/historyofreading.html

• 2 years later...

I'm not trying to revive this thread. I was researching something else and came across this.

I just wanted to mention that actually the Original series of the McGuffey (1836) has a Parent/Teacher guide written by Ruth Beechick where she actually incorporates how to use these with phonics methods very similar to SWR way of teaching phonograms (all 3 sounds of "a" at once for example). You would use the Phonics Made Plain flashcards with them that also correspond with ABCs and All Their Tricks.

Anyway, in case someone comes across this wanting to use Original McGuffey for phonics based reading...You can!:001_smile:

• 3 years later...
Guest jesusfreakgirl

I know this thread is a few years old, but I'm hoping someone will still chime in to help me.
I'm thinking about the McGuffey's Readers for my 9yo. I'm wondering how helpful  Ruth Beechick's Parent Teacher Guide is if you have the Revised Edition Readers.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is a few years old, but I'm hoping someone will still chime in to help me.

I'm thinking about the McGuffey's Readers for my 9yo. I'm wondering how helpful Ruth Beechick's Parent Teacher Guide is if you have the Revised Edition Readers.

I don't think it us compatible at all. I have both sets and the RB Guide. If you have a specific question, please ask!