Menu

Spy Car- (or anyone who knows) can you plz compare MEP and Singapore math for me?

HappyGrace

There is a television program that demonstrates how the Hungarians approach math in the *gasp* "classroom" :tongue_smilie:

As I said in an earlier post, MEP is based on a Hungarian model, so this gives a flavor of the "lesson plan" side of this curriculum. The "workbook" side is a little different. Anyway, I found this fascinating (perhaps I'm easy amused?).

One does need to "register" on this site in order to watch the video. Painless. And I had to download the whole movie, as I could not get it to "stream". It runs about a half-hour if memory serves. Someone who's curious may enjoy this.

Bill

http://www.teachers.tv/video/17878

Thanks for posting this! I just had a chance to watch this and enjoyed it immensely! Really helped to see it in action. :)

Thanks. What is CSMP? can i have a link?

I also think MEP will work well for him right now. I've had to put a hold on teacher intensive stuff, bec his little sister is potty training. That should fill in nicely for a while.

CSMP is a (now defunct) "New Math" program that is maintained on the web with all the materials free for download. As Poke Salad Annie said it is very outside the box.

The best way to get a quick overview is to watch the movies on the site.

Here is a link:

http://ceure.buffalostate.edu/~csmp/

Bill

Thanks for posting this! I just had a chance to watch this and enjoyed it immensely! Really helped to see it in action. :)

Interesting, yes? I'm not sure what they are using is "MEP" exactly, but it does give a good flavor for the Hungarian approach to teaching math.

The lesson plans in MEP are very similar. Teaching this way helps make math come alive. It is fun and multi-sensory. Math does not have to be the "dreaded" subject.

Update me will you as your Math Lab gets up and running. I would really like to hear about your experiences.

Bill